2 or 4 inch lift... help me decide please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2 or 4 inch lift... help me decide please

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
Gonna be getting a lift when I put new rubber on the 94 exploder, which shouldnt be long now as I have 7/32 left on the ole goodyear wrangler radials.

Now, I hope to just do a suspension lift, and I'm trying to decide between 2 or 4 inches.
I have stock 3.27 gears (yikes, I know), and I plan to go either 2" with 31s or 4" with 32-33s. I'll be keeping the stock wheels, and I'm ok with doing a little trimming, but nothing too extreme. This truck doesent see any super aggressive off roading, but some mud fairly frequently, and snow in the winter months. It's a daily driver so I am hoping to not mess up handling too much.
Now, I know a 4" is much more extensive than a 2 inch, involving drop brackets and new brake lines, new springs and shocks. I need new shocks and springs anyway, so a simple coil spacer and shackle lift is out of the question. This is the only reason I consider a 4" lift.
My main reason for lifting is a more aggressive look, and a truck to be proud of. The tires help with the mud, of course.
I'm lookin at this: 4in Ford Suspension Lift System
What do yall think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gears first. 3.27 and oversized mudders are asking for trouble, especially with the auto. Get a complete 8.8 out of a yard and swap it in(2nd gen gets you rear discs), and swap in a used front diff.

I second that. Assuming you have auto trans, that gearing and any of those size tires will be quick death for your trans.

Gears first. 3.27 and oversized mudders are asking for trouble, especially with the auto. Get a complete 8.8 out of a yard and swap it in(2nd gen gets you rear discs), and swap in a used front diff.
I second that. Assuming you have auto trans, that gearing and any of those size tires will be quick death for your trans.
Alright, I was hoping to avoid that, though. I'd like to just do new ring gears and pinions with 300k miles on her it may be in order anyway. What's the largest I can go on those 3.27 carriers? I think it's like 3.58 or sumthin like that. Yall recommend larger? I've seen people say go with 4:11 if you change gears, but 4:11 donors are hard to come by, and I dont want to destroy highway mileage as most of my driving is 45+
Thank you for the input thus far :)

4.10 is the best of the factory gearing. 3.73 would be much better as well. You could get a traction lok unit and rebuild it before dropping it in. I’ve seen several 8.8s on CL fairly cheap.

I’d also add a large transmission cooler.

Hmm, yall are making me think that I should just throw some new rear springs on it to fix the lean, new coil over shocks on the back for towing, and some meatier tires for the aggressive look I'm after, and leave it as is. Seeing as I'm not even doing any real offroading, a lift isnt nessacary. Regearing, even if I get a new axle in the rear, I'll still likely have to regear the front, and that's alot of precise work so they don't grenade, that I'm not sure I am capable of.
I think some nice tires and some new springs is what's gonna suit me best, thanks guys, this is why I came to you. :chug:

Here's mine with a 2" lift up front, lift shackles in the rear, and 31's.
92056366_10158368550791869_3345182359921098752_n.jpg

Here's mine with a 2" lift up front, lift shackles in the rear, and 31's.View attachment 180137
I was looking into doing a 2 inch lift because I picked up a good set of Rancho rs5000 series shock for 2 inches. I was nervous only 2 inches wouldnt add enough clearance or agressive looks but it looks great on 2 inches. My leaf springs are sagged out hard so il be doing new ones from s.d springs with the drop shackles and 2 inch springs up front from s.d springs

Caleb:

I put full deal 2" suspension lift on my Ranger and 4" suspension lift on my BII. They both work great. With 4:10 gears my engines like 32" tires to put the torque curve where it drives like the original vehicle.

32's with a 4" lift would be close but with the Ranger I needed a body lift and fender triming for 32's and definitely for 33".

In regards to ride quality my 2" is a Ford factory suspension lift from an 89 Hi Ryder Ranger, it is very stiff; the 4" lift is and always has been an absolute pleasure to drive. Though with a BII as with an Explorer, body roll rates definite control messures. To which James Duff Enterprises has the best solution I have ever experienced.

They make dual shock hoops for the front and dual shock track bars for the rear. Using dual Duff 70/30 valved shocks, virtually eliminates any body roll! In my opinion this is the best money spent on suspension for an Explorer or BII.

My 94 has 4" lift, 3.73 axles and and 32" tires.

I definitely recommend bigger gears if going with tires bigger than 31".

4" lift with 31" tires doesn't look right, so gears are my next upgrade.

Best bet? 2" lift with 31" tires and 3.73 gearing.

I ran 3.27s with 33s for a year. Then I ran the 3.27s with 35s for 6 months. I swapped in 4.88s a couple years ago with Trutracs and love them. If I was going to do it again I would go with the 5.13s and a true locker in the rear. The trutracs are super smooth though, you don't even notice them on the ice, it just keeps going.

I'm pretty happy with how mine sits with a 2" lift and 31's. I'm going to add radius arms and 33x10.50's down the road.

Attachments

• 92056366_10158368550791869_3345182359921098752_n.jpg
    92056366_10158368550791869_3345182359921098752_n.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 74

Save up for new gears!

Back