Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3 and Navigation Map Updates

Just got a notice on the Ford Pass app that there is a map update.

Is this NA 1 19? Has anyone tried to download it yet?

Just curious.
If the update is FREE then that is about the only way I would do it. Remember that is 1/19 as in January 2019 map database. Think about this we are almost 2022 so even a “Update”’is still two years old. Yes better than nothing but very pathetic that they only update maps every two years. At least with MFT/SYNC2 I could get a yeary
Update. Yes it was my choice to spend the money or not but at least had the option.

Ford/Lincoln NAV map updates have been very weak for a while,and they are not putting enough pressure on their vendor to keep up. The typical excuse from the vendors is “Updayes are NOT part of the infrastructure/business model......BS.....You are a MAP update company. That IS your infrastructure...or at least should be!

the only thing that had a major change from my update to the 1-19 update was the I-20 speed limit was finally displayed as 70MPH on the nav screen even though it has been 70 for at least three-five years before that and FMC nav updates were still showing 60 on themap screen.....

Unfortunately with modern nav and OTA/WiFi updates you are at the mercy of the vendor. The only choice is phone maps but I personally prefer the clean look of factory map screens and try to de clutter the cabin with less things being shrapnel hazards during a hard braking event or accident.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update is free, but as I mentioned in my post #57 it takes about 90 minutes or so to load into the vehicle. That's why my USB drive is still sitting on my desk.

Peter

Update is free, but as I mentioned in my post #57 it takes about 90 minutes or so to load into the vehicle. That's why my USB drive is still sitting on my desk.

Peter

Same Peter, 90 minutes... Gonna be a while b4 I driving one way that long.

It took me the same 90 minutes on my 2017 Acura DVD map update but...2017 model and had a January 2020 database and yes I had to pay but got a fairly current database.

As another comparison my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee was purchased 7/24 with a 6/15/20 build date and 1/2020 map update. About two months after purchase I already had a software AND Nav/MAP database update.

Could be different map vendors but the point is everyone needs to keep pressure on FMC to put pressure on the map vendors to update maps at minimum once a year. Trust me, new housing developments open, new stores, speed limits get changed so there is justification for a yearly update!

I guess I'm not as picky as some. I don't expect a map update every time a new Dollar General goes in. Online maps are a little different and more easily updateable and corrected.
As stated,
new housing developments open, new stores, speed limits get changed
but that doesn't just happen in your neighborhood, it happens all over the coverage area for that map and it's not a quick little tweak and push out an update.

I'm downloading the files now. I read on the Ranger forums that this might be a newer version of NA 1 19.

We shall see.

Looks like the files are fro SYNC 3.0.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 1.38.47 PM.png

Back