How To: Remove the dash from a 2nd Gen! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Remove the dash from a 2nd Gen!

Post number 55 has been selected as best answered.

Hey im just wondering if i could do a dash install on a 1990 ford ranger using a 02 explorer dash as the donor if that would be posible

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean an 02 sport or a 4 door?

Fantastic guidance!

Thank you Ryan. I have been dreading the fact that I have to "remove the dash" on my 2nd gen ever since I read it was necessary to replace the heater core. After blowing out the plastic valve doodad just outside the core last summer I decided to rebuild the cooling system. (Limping home in a cloud of steam for the last quarter mile was a sight to behold). Did all that change out with new everything. Hoses, alum. radiator, water pump, t-stat, boiled out the reservoir...all of it except the heater core. With this post I am no longer so intimidated by what seemed a daunting task. Now that the weather has finally turned I can get it done. What a poor design BTW. My 1st gen core took me all of 25 minutes to change out. :salute:

Darn the pictures are now gone. Any way to possibly get them back? OP hasn't been on in a few months so possibly now, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask or let him know.

Thanks

I'll have to take your word for it, Image Shack doesn't work for me either. All I get is an ad for the website.

This thread is useless, the pics are all gone. I've searched for weeks for a write-up on how to take out the dash and this is literally the only one online. I wanted to pull a dash out of my parts vehicle before i send it to the crusher....dammit!

Yeah its a shame. Wanted to replace my Internal AC Components in the dash.

I cannot believe that literally NO ONE has posted how to remove these dashboards.....not even on any of the Ranger forums I checked. There are probably close to a million if not more than that Rangers/Explorers on the road with this dash design and no one posted a how to on it? Baffles me to no end!

I cannot believe that literally NO ONE has posted how to remove these dashboards.....not even on any of the Ranger forums I checked. There are probably close to a million if not more than that Rangers/Explorers on the road with this dash design and no one posted a how to on it? Baffles me to no end!

You may find this youtube video helpful in your attempt to remove your dash. BTW, I think the reason that more members don't help you is the way you ask for help. I find your posts to be confrontational.

I think the reason that more members don't help you is the way you ask for help. I find your posts to be confrontational.

Confrontational? I'm one of the most peaceful, nicest guys you'd ever meet....that's definitely a 1st! There used to be a ton of people on this forum in the 2nd gen category up until the last year or two, I used to get crazy help on here. The 2nd gens are disappearing, so not as many people on here. It sucks :/

Confrontational? I'm one of the most peaceful, nicest guys you'd ever meet....that's definitely a 1st! There used to be a ton of people on this forum in the 2nd gen category up until the last year or two, I used to get crazy help on here. The 2nd gens are disappearing, so not as many people on here. It sucks :/

Maybe you're not confrontational, but the way you use CAPITAL letters and exclamation points in your posts it seems like you're always pissed. That's the impression I get, but whatever...

As far as the level of helpful/experienced members currently available, I agree that as the years go by we have fewer and fewer mechanically experienced members, but as our beloved Gen II's age goes up the age/experience of people buying them goes down. There's still a handful of old farts like me that have decades of working on vehicles to offer our experience & opinions, but each year I notice more of us dropping off. I miss the discussions we used to have. Now, more and more, it's just rehashing repairs that have been covered dozens of times and simple how-to's.

Maybe you're not confrontational, but the way you use CAPITAL letters and exclamation points in your posts it seems like you're always pissed. That's the impression I get, but whatever...

As far as the level of helpful/experienced members currently available, I agree that as the years go by we have fewer and fewer mechanically experienced members, but as our beloved Gen II's age goes up the age/experience of people buying them goes down. There's still a handful of old farts like me that have decades of working on vehicles to offer our experience & opinions, but each year I notice more of us dropping out. I miss the discussions we used to have. Now, more and more, it's just rehashing repairs that have been covered dozens of times and simple how-to's.

I tend to pay extreme attention to details and emphasize certain words. i know not many people are like that so that may be why i come across as angry/confrontational, but I'm not......I always get F'd over by everyone cuz im way too nice/generous/giving, but I'm not gonna dig into my life story here no one wants to hear that :p

Absolutely....I agree entirely....posting in the 2nd gen forum is kinda pointless now, i usually will search for hours on the site to find an answer to something I usually only make a thread of my own when i couldn't find an answer.

I was taking my time, taking notes, and taking pics, and it took me about 2 hours by myself.

Note that I didn't take the gauge cluster, or the radio out. There is no need to take them out if you are removing the whole dash assembly.

Now that I have done it, and have pictures, I think I can do it in 1.5 hours....the fastest I have ever taken a 1st Gen dash out was 2 hours, and the first time I did it, it took me 3.5 hours.

Ryan
The photos are no longer available, do you have them posted elsewhere?

The photos are no longer available, do you have them posted elsewhere?

@songboat

Not the best video - but I think you'll find what you're looking for ;-)

Video Link:

1:15 Minute Mark he starts showing the main bolt locations

Merry Christmas!

@songboat

Video Link:

Merry Christmas!

@songboat

Video Link:

Merry Christmas!

@songboat

Video Link:

Merry Christmas!

Do you know what size the bolt in the center of the fire wall is ? Neither of my ratchets have a low enough profile to get on that bolt. Any suggestions as what tool to use to get that bolt out? Also I have a 2000 explorer. To you know it the bolt to remove the heater blower box in the engine compartment is behind the fender well or on the interior of the firewall?

@songboat

Video Link:

Merry Christmas!

there is no way to get a socket on the fire wall bolt. So it seems that I am going to have to remove this from the top of the engine. I don't know what its called

IM002170.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@songboat

Video Link:

Merry Christmas!

I have done a lot of wrenching on vehicle in my 63 years of living on this planet. I will testify that this heater core replacement is the most tedious, ridiculous and pain in the ass task I have ever taken on. It would be easier to list what you don't have to remove. I will never have another Ford Explorer. That is not even to be considered. They had to have put those phillips screws in the front of the dash before they stuck the windshield in. That is just one of the most ridiculous obstacles that I have tried to deal with for this time staking repair.

Back