Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing Part - Rear Air Deflector

Mine did not have the towing eye (hook) and I'm not even sure if there is a place to attach it. Have you checked? Unlike the Explorer Owner's Manual, there is no mention of it in the Aviator Manual. Also, it was discontinued for the Explorer as a running production change was made that eliminated the place where it was supposed to screw into.

Peter
Front and rear holes in bumper, however the xlt front hole isn’t drilled. So the bumper plate opens to a blank metal bumper bar. The rear however is drilled for it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's on the Explorer, and it is discussed here, Missing Part - towing eye
There are no mounting points on the Aviator.

Peter

My ST does Not have the rear air deflector. It doesn't affect my driving so Not going to have the dealer dig my vehicle and cause more rattles.

I believe some have ordered and installed themselves. Seems to be straight forward.

Peter

Has anyone noticed a significant difference with the deflector installed?

I didn't notice any difference on mine.
I didn't either but it looks nice especially if you're parked on a hill and at an angle where you an see under the bumper. My dealer installed it during the first oil change/tire rotation visit and it took him less than 20 minutes to install free of charge for parts and labor.

I believe some have ordered and installed themselves. Seems to be straight forward.

Peter

Did they just forget to put it in some vehicles or was it removed as part of a running change? Because my is a very late build 9/20

Did they just forget to put it in some vehicles or was it removed as part of a running change? Because my is a very late build 9/20
I noticed a 2021 ST doesn't have it either on my dealer's lot.

I noticed a 2021 ST doesn't have it either on my dealer's lot.

Then it is definitely part of a running change and Ford seems to have decided they are not going to install it anymore.

Then it is definitely part of a running change and Ford seems to have decided they are not going to install it anymore.
Even with the 2020 Explorers it seemed to be a 'hit or miss' situation. I believe it is probably more about 'aerodynamics' than anything else.

Peter

Even with the 2020 Explorers it seemed to be a 'hit or miss' situation. I believe it is probably more about 'aerodynamics' than anything else.

Peter
Before I got the part installed, it looked like the back of the vehicle was jacked up because I could clearly see the rear axle and differential. So it does give the rear of the car a more finished look. If the part never existed then we could conclude that it serves no function. That is clearly not the case! Ford has a history of taking parts away to save money. I remember when the first Edge came out the first reviews were critical of obvious cost-cutting measures. For example, I remember you could clearly see the radiator and other hoses and things through the grill and air dam on the bumper and reviewers took notice.

I don't understand why Ford put's their rear air deflectors mostly on base Explorers when they clearly need to focus and give more attention to detail for client's that bought a 60K ST.

Yeah, screw the peasants!

20 pages for rear deflector which I am sure adds .000000000000000000000000005 HP, next I want really see peoples heads explode when they find out that their is no engine cover on the 2.3 liter motors that said Ford like there was in 2020 models.

20 pages for rear deflector which I am sure adds .000000000000000000000000005 HP, next I want really see peoples heads explode when they find out that their is no engine cover on the 2.3 liter motors that said Ford like there was in 2020 models.
If I have to cover my face all the time then Ford has to cover my car's ugly parts too! LOL

If I have to cover my face all the time then Ford has to cover my car's ugly parts too! LOL
ha ha. However, with all the nightmare problems that members have faced with their vehicles, I am fine with not having an Air deflector which I will only notice when I go under and look at.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back