• Register Today It's free!

LED HEADLIGHTS

Mr A

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Well, I am either really dumb or just getting old. I have a 2015 Explorer Sport, V6. It has the stock halogen headlights. It is only one bulb for both hight/low beam (dual I guess you call them). I wanted to install LED bulbs, but have had a miserable time trying to find out which bulb is dual, led and a single bulb in each headlight. Stock number is 9005/HB3 and H11 for Fog Light. I have stopped at several auto stores to try and find out which bulb is the dual bulb for led and no-one can help me. They act like there is no bulb that fits. Either I am stupid or there is not an LED bulb that will work. I have even tried AMAZON to try and find the correct LED bulb but most say HIGH BEAM, not DUAL FOR HIGH/LOW.
Is there someone here that can tell me which bulb is LED, DUAL?????? TKS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the headlamps in the 2015 operate the same as the ones I had in my 2011 Limited, then the bulb is a single filament. When on low beam, there is a shutter that covers part of the bulb. Switching to high beam raise that shutter. According to the Owner's Manual, the bulb is an HB3.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KB8J98/?tag=serious-20
Cannot vouch for the performance of those bulbs since the housing is built for a halogen bulb.

Peter

9005 & 9006 bulbs are single filament bulbs used for either hi-beam only or low-beam only. These bulbs will only have two connection pins in the socket, and only one visible filament in the glass.
A 9007 bulb is a dual filament bulb used for both hi and low beam, they will have three connection pins in the socket, and two visible filaments in the glass.

Yes, it’s one bulb in the housing.
I don’t think that answers the question.

It may be one bulb, but does it function as both low and high beam. A 9005/H3 style bulb is usually only one filament.

How many connection pins does the bulb have?

It may be one bulb, but does it function as both low and high beam. A 9005/H3 style bulb is usually only one filament.

That Explorer has an HB3 bulb. If it is either a low or high beam, then it probably is a high beam bulb but the Explorer has a shutter that covers part of the bulb when low beam is selected.

Peter

It should have answered the question. The one bulb serves as both low and high beam. If you look at the link I sent, it is very clear. I have the same vehicle, with the same headlights and even provided a link to a LED headlight bulb to solve the problem.

It should have answered the question. The one bulb serves as both low and high beam. If you look at the link I sent, it is very clear. I have the same vehicle, with the same headlights and even provided a link to a LED headlight bulb to solve the problem.
Yes, I believe peterk9 already made that clear.

Back