Fog lights no longer working

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
I bought a pair of really nice used fogs off Ebay for my 00 limited I had one of the stock fog lights that worked but the bulb blew out so now ive replaced the bulbs and put them in and nothing any help. Dash light is burnt out to

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Specifics could help like which fuse # you checked. Looks like it might be #8 in the under hood box from the wiring diagram, BUT if the owner's manual hasn't changed since my '98, it instead shows it as fuse #4 in the under hood box.

Grab a multimeter and probe for 12V at each end of every wire connecting everything in below diagram. If it's the relay you can try swapping it with another of same type from same or another fuse box.

Attachments

• headlights-headlamps-fog-lamps-circuit-w-o-drl-1-of-1.pdf
    43.7 KB · Views: 35

Does your fog light switch in the dash light up? If the whole switch seems dead, you may want to check the relay in the second electrical box in the engine bay (the one under the air intake, not the one by the brake booster). A couple years back my whole fog light circuit seemed to go dead -- swapped the relay for a fresh one and I was back in business.

Does your fog light switch in the dash light up? If the whole switch seems dead, you may want to check the relay in the second electrical box in the engine bay (the one under the air intake, not the one by the brake booster). A couple years back my whole fog light circuit seemed to go dead -- swapped the relay for a fresh one and I was back in business.
Checked the fuses in the power distributor box fuse #4 is gone will replace as soon as I find mini fuses lol

I'd also check the wiring in case a short has caused the blown fuse. a bulb blowing shouldn't blow a fuse so if a short is present it could just blow a new fuse again, sooner or later depending on how intermittent the short is (if present).

If you can't see any wiring damage then I would check resistance to ground with a multimeter. If nothing is found and it still blows fuses again there is always the option of (using that wiring diagram I linked previously but from fuse 4) and making a new run of wire from the box or spliced on shortly after the wire coming out of it.

I'd also check the wiring in case a short has caused the blown fuse. a bulb blowing shouldn't blow a fuse so if a short is present it could just blow a new fuse again, sooner or later depending on how intermittent the short is (if present).

If you can't see any wiring damage then I would check resistance to ground with a multimeter. If nothing is found and it still blows fuses again there is always the option of (using that wiring diagram I linked previously but from fuse 4) and making a new run of wire from the box or spliced on shortly after the wire coming out of it.
Well those connectors looked sketchy so I probably replace them with the ones I got But I think I know what caused it. I replaced the passenger side headlight with a better quality one and it melted through the the bulb housing sooooo

^ It seems like melting the housing would make it a lower quality one (for the application). :)

The fog lights are a bit different than headlights in that using lower heat LED bulbs there makes sense, as long as you don't use them as driving lights when there is no fog and as long as they are more towards yellow/amber color, not even whiter/colder color temperature than the originals.

Back