What are your thoughts so far? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are your thoughts so far?

well, I have had mine since Aug of 2019. The only issue I have had was the transmisson cooler leak thing. I like it but I'm not very impressed with it. It has alot of high tech stuff and about 75% of that I would call "fluff". The fit and finish is so so, the interior noise is very noticeable at Hwy speeds 70-80 mph, there are huge blindspots and, the 10sp trans sucks.

I like the power and torque from the 4cy. The gas mileage is 32+ at 70mph, AMAZING. I do like the style somewhat but I think the Lincoln version does look better.

This is my 3rd Explorer, I bought/ordered a 1992 explorer XLT that I still miss. I owned it 10 years and the only issue I had with it was those infamous Firestone tires that I replaced shortly after the 1000 mile mark when 2 of the started to seperate. I traded it in on a 2002 explorer Eddie Bauer, it was an awesome and had 2 issues that Ford fixed, rear glass hinges and the differntial yoke.

I think I will trade it/ sell it in another 2 years

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the same issue occur with the rear tailgate not opening a few times over the past months. It's definitely a nuisance, but it has always opened up on the second attempt so I'm not going to waste time trying to troubleshoot it with the dealer. It's occurred when I use the key fob and the button inside.

To add my thoughts on my experience so far...

I took ownership a year ago and just just crossed the 30k mile mark. I'm definitely happy with my purchase, and I would recommend it to others. I've had my fair share of minor annoyances, but nothing that has made me regret my purchase. I spend 2-3 hours per day driving so I'm a believer in having a good vehicle that is reliable in all weather conditions. Most of my miles are on the highway so the adaptive cruise control was a significant deciding factor in my purchase, and I'm still impressed with how smooth it performs in heavy traffic and sudden speed changes.

The main issues that I have today:

1) Passenger door rattle -- I narrowed this down to the felt insulation/skid plate under the passenger door. There is a fastener that is loose and allows for movement up and down that creates a noise that can be heard at highway speeds. I haven't gotten around to fixing it just yet, but I'm probably just going to add a few spacers or superglue it.

2) Transmission issues -- I've had the vehicle in for routine maintenance 3x now and have been working with the service department to trouble shoot rough shifting and other transmission issues. The rough shifting was solved with software updates, but I still feel the transmission grinding as low speeds when I start to accelerate from a stop while turning onto a perpendicular street. It almost feels like the AWD system isn't smoothly transferring power, but it hasn't been solved yet.

Like I said, overall I'm very happy with the vehicle and I average around 30k miles per year. It is very comfortable and fun to drive, and the acceleration of the ST at highway speeds adds to that excitement. I'm fortunate to have a great dealer so my service experience has been positive so far, and I have an extended warranty that provides a loaner vehicle each time so that's never been a concern. One thing that is beyond their control is the software that (in my opinion) controls too many systems in newer vehicles -- all these updates come from Ford corporate so the issues that used to be simple mechanicals fixes in the past are now solved by software updates.
I am honestly shocked you'd recommend given the transmissions issues....can you imagine what happens to it when it gets to that 50k miles range?....gosh....Ford might be in for another major recall - a la DCT....

I have had my Platinum since Nov. of 2019, love the power of the Ecoboost V6, no transmission issues, only issue I have had is with the easy exit drivers seat memory module. I was replaced a few months after delivery, everything else has been fine. I do have the tech package and like the large display, but the software could have been better designed to take advantage of the larger screen, lots of wasted space.
TBill

The power front windows are going down automatically when holding the button which is normal but do not go up automatically when holding windows button up. If I close it manually all the way, they automatically roll down 2/3rd. I have to leave my windows a few millimeters open.

The power front windows are going down automatically when holding the button which is normal but do not go up automatically when holding windows button up. If I close it manually all the way, they automatically roll down 2/3rd. I have to leave my windows a few millimeters open.
Are you referring to Global Opening? If so, they only go down. It doesn't have the Closing feature. If referring to Remote Opening after unlocking the vehicle, then they will also only go down.

Peter

well, I have had mine since Aug of 2019. The only issue I have had was the transmisson cooler leak thing. I like it but I'm not very impressed with it. It has alot of high tech stuff and about 75% of that I would call "fluff". The fit and finish is so so, the interior noise is very noticeable at Hwy speeds 70-80 mph, there are huge blindspots and, the 10sp trans sucks.

I like the power and torque from the 4cy. The gas mileage is 32+ at 70mph, AMAZING. I do like the style somewhat but I think the Lincoln version does look better.

This is my 3rd Explorer, I bought/ordered a 1992 explorer XLT that I still miss. I owned it 10 years and the only issue I had with it was those infamous Firestone tires that I replaced shortly after the 1000 mile mark when 2 of the started to seperate. I traded it in on a 2002 explorer Eddie Bauer, it was an awesome and had 2 issues that Ford fixed, rear glass hinges and the differntial yoke.

I think I will trade it/ sell it in another 2 years

XLT vs lincoln equivalent the lincoln looks better hands down. XLT has styling but it looks more of a "downgrade" from the lincoln.

Now if we're talking about the ST, then i say it depends on spec. But i would lean towards the ST has being better styling cues and of course, it looks sportier.

You're right about the 4cyl torque. I'm very impressed at the torque delivery of this small EB engine. I only have complaints about the engine noise. It's not pleasant. Sounds very rental car like. Ford should have done a little better job at mitigating the engine sound into the cabin. Because it doesn't sound good lol. Might as well just try to make it as quiet as possible so anyone inside can't hear it.

I have almost 3k miles now. Trans is still bad lol. I don't believe it one bit when people say the trans has to "learn". It shouldn't take thousands of miles to learn. It should learn within 100 miles or so. Or it should learn as quick as the ECU learning fuel trims (if battery has died or if someone did an ECU reflash).

I might inquire about the dealer doing a trans fluid change with better fluid when the weather gets warmer. If the cost isn't much, i'll pay out of pocket to have a smooth shifting trans. It's not clunky, it's just not smooth at all. The downshifts aren't good at all. But it doesn't affect driving. For the price, it shouldn't be like this.

Are you referring to Global Opening? If so, they only go down. It doesn't have the Closing feature. If referring to Remote Opening after unlocking the vehicle, then they will also only go down.

Peter
Not in Global Opening. I am sitting and driving or just waiting for a light to change. with quick hold of a window switch I was able to get my front windows open and also get them closed by holding window button. Now I have to hold the window button all the way for 2 seconds until the window closes and then the window by itself goes down like 2/3 or 1/2. Anyways, off to the dealer tomorrow.

With all this tech, I also have trouble because all for doors needed to be unlocked with remote sometimes. The sensor on the doors does not respond. Very strange. I just recently started to experience this.

Okay, I think that is the "one-touch" system you are talking about. The "on- touch" should both open and close the front windows with a quick execution of the window control. Does the passenger window work correctly to have you not tried it? Something definitely is wrong here.
Did you try the window reset procedure on page 97 of the 3rd printing. Windows and Mirrors / Power Windows.
Good luck with the dealer visit and please report back. Thanks.

Peter

Okay, I think that is the "one-touch" system you are talking about. The "on- touch" should both open and close the front windows with a quick execution of the window control. Does the passenger window work correctly to have you not tried it? Something definitely is wrong here.
Did you try the window reset procedure on page 97 of the 3rd printing. Windows and Mirrors / Power Windows.
Good luck with the dealer visit and please report back. Thanks.

Peter
Thanks Peter. Windows reset procedure worked for me.

Thanks Peter. Windows reset procedure worked

The xlt sport appearance package does add an ST element to the Explorer ahd makes it look better IMO. I do like the side and rear aspects of the Lincoln. The front end looks too much like a copy of the Jaguar Suvs.

I wish the 450 hp hybrid Europe Explorer setup was sold here. You have to get the Lincoln to get it.

As far as the sounds ours is super quiet with exception of some high rev engine noise. I atribute this to 20 inch wheels and better sound insulation on the 2021s.

Just here to report some positive Explorer news..

• We hit the 3 month mark this week with our 2020 Limited 4x4.
  • Just under 1,800 miles on it.
  • Some long trips, mostly short trips around town - works great for my wife and her short work commute as well as performing family duty.
  • Only issue that has sprang up is the vehicle does not like to be filled with gas quickly. Most pumps/stations click off if I squeeze the trigger fully. When it goes in for its first service, I will mention this.
  • Other than that, it's been great!

Just here to report some positive Explorer news..

• We hit the 3 month mark this week with our 2020 Limited 4x4.
  • Just under 1,800 miles on it.
  • Some long trips, mostly short trips around town - works great for my wife and her short work commute as well as performing family duty.
  • Only issue that has sprang up is the vehicle does not like to be filled with gas quickly. Most pumps/stations click off if I squeeze the trigger fully. When it goes in for its first service, I will mention this.
  • Other than that, it's been great!

You have to use the right angle and don't insert the nozzle all the way. We have found when you insert the nozzle half way and at a higher angle, this works best.

Although we have only ran 93 octane in it though.

You have to use the right angle and don't insert the nozzle all the way. We have found when you insert the nozzle half way and at a higher angle, this works best.

Although we have only ran 93 octane in it though.

I will try that out! We only run 93 as well.

A friend of mine found a TSB relating to my issue that is apparently solved with a PCM reflash. I’m going to mention it to the dealer when I get it there.

It’s TSB 20-2252 if anyone is interested!

I am not sure if this is your issue, but here is what I have found with my 2020 ST. I can open the rear hatch with the button on the dash, but if I attempt to close it, it goes part way down and starts bonging at me like it has determined that there is an obstruction. By chance I found that after I open the hatch, if I then open and close the driver's door the hatch will close fine with the button on the dash. This is completely repeatable and makes no sense. I assume it is some sort of firmware bug in Ford's programming or a foolish design choice, but not sure. The hatch opens and closes fine with the buttons on the hatch itself. I have not tried the key fob buttons.
My 2017 works the same way. If I turn the car off, open hatch, try to close, it will beep at me. I have to get out to close it. However, if I turn on my car, I can then close it from the button on the dash .

The xlt sport appearance package does add an ST element to the Explorer ahd makes it look better IMO. I do like the side and rear aspects of the Lincoln. The front end looks too much like a copy of the Jaguar Suvs.

I wish the 450 hp hybrid Europe Explorer setup was sold here. You have to get the Lincoln to get it.

As far as the sounds ours is super quiet with exception of some high rev engine noise. I atribute this to 20 inch wheels and better sound insulation on the 2021s.
Hi. I agree. Sound in my 2021 is great. Btw, my dealer told me they corrected the problems with the transmission on the 2021. But since picking it up and loving it I saw on other forums just how much the 202 owners had transmission issues. Can anyone verify whether the transmission issues have actually been corrected. Im loving the car so much but it only has 1000Km on it. Dont want to be looking out for a transmission issue.

Hi. I agree. Sound in my 2021 is great. Btw, my dealer told me they corrected the problems with the transmission on the 2021. But since picking it up and loving it I saw on other forums just how much the 202 owners had transmission issues. Can anyone verify whether the transmission issues have actually been corrected. Im loving the car so much but it only has 1000Km on it. Dont want to be looking out for a transmission issue.
I doubt the 2021 transmission is any different, other than a newer software revision. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Mine is one of the earliest 2020 builds and the trans was bad right away. I have had numerous software updates and it is seemingly much better these days. I know warranty work is a hassle, but at least rest easy knowing you have a 5yr/50k mile powertrain warranty.

I doubt the 2021 transmission is any different, other than a newer software revision. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Mine is one of the earliest 2020 builds and the trans was bad right away. I have had numerous software updates and it is seemingly much better these days. I know warranty work is a hassle, but at least rest easy knowing you have a 5yr/50k mile powertrain warranty.
Thanks mate. That was unfortunate that after buying a new car you had to face those issues like many other new explorer owners. But at least it worked out now. I really love the explorer overall and plan to keep for the long term.

My 2020 is in the shop for a creaking drivers seat and a very noticeable chirp when the AC clutch engages. They gave me a 2021 XLT and wow what a difference in sound on the highway.

Whatever they added to the sound proofing made a huge difference. It's virtually silent at 70.

My 2020 is in the shop for a creaking drivers seat and a very noticeable chirp when the AC clutch engages. They gave me a 2021 XLT and wow what a difference in sound on the highway.

Whatever they added to the sound proofing made a huge difference. It's virtually silent at 70.

Yep, the only thing that makes noise is the engine. I do not know why so many people have issues with the 2020. The 21 is super quiet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, the only thing that makes noise is the engine. I do not know why so many people have issues with the 2020. The 21 is super quiet.
Does yours have the hood insulation pad?

Peter

Back