94 Explorer Build

WormsExplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Durango
I just Brought this beauty home tonight. Was able to buy her for $1,000. Plans are going to be a lift and going out on the trails. Not sure what route I am going to do just yet but it is going to be a mild build. Interior is in beautiful Condition. No Cracks in the Dash The floor and seats and in great condition. Thinking she has abut 91,000 miles or 191,000 miles on her. Her front end right now Hums really bad at about 60 to 65 mph. Thinking front end needs redone. I know brakes are needed to be done. So list starts once I am able to dig into her and see what all needs to be done. Very happy with my Purchase. Yes I know some on here are thinking oh great he has another one. I like this one and I think she will be here to stay.
136494891_882602375908869_3297168231144984194_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3 doors I assume? LOL hard to tell from the pic but I don't think you would bring home a 5 door!

Congrats!!

3 doors I assume? LOL hard to tell from the pic but I don't think you would bring home a 5 door!

Congrats!!
No she is a 5 door explorer. I do not have a Sport anymore. I will update my Avatar today

Well driving home with new Ex did not really hear any major noises. Got home and pulled in to driveway and heard a major not so good noise. Thought it was shocks or Front bearings. Removed tires saw the front shocks and wow. Ordered new ones replaced them then drove Ex off driveway and noise still there. Look underneath it and saw this. Not good at all. What is this bushing part called?
20210111_170619.jpg

Radius arm bushing. Looks to be missing. The passenger side one is most likely gone too.

I never had to do it, but I’d say medium difficulty. ;) there’s probably many threads on changing them out if you search back a few years.

My '94 had the same issue when I bought it. They had been gone so long that the holes were egged out to about 2x the correct height of hole. I built long arms with heims to fix the problem.

Buy some new brackets while you’re at it. A grinder, a big drill bit, a punch and some cutting oil and it’s really not too bad. A one day job, less if you’ve done them before

Buy some new brackets while you’re at it. A grinder, a big drill bit, a punch and some cutting oil and it’s really not too bad. A one day job, less if you’ve done them before

Going to go ahead and second this. Even if the brackets look somewhat OK, they are close to 30 years old now and it will be worth it knowing you won't ever have to do them again. Anecdotally, I replaced my bushings with the poly Moog kit (blue ones) and they've been fine for a few years. Recently I've been having a clunk and after quick peek and teardown of the back half of the bracket I noticed my bushings were egg shaped on the passenger side. Most likely due to a worn bracket. Now I get the thankless task of doing them again.

I have a question for you all. Did the 94 explorer have cables for the power windows or were they mechanical? I have a feeling they were changed out. I have door from a 96 that I am going to use to get them back to normal.

No cables they are the old school versions with the springs that can cut a finger off :)

OK You all I have a question for you all. I am able to get some free 01 Mustang rims for my Explorer. They are 17x8 Rims AR105 Torq-Thrust M. Would those fit my ex ok or will I need to get spacers? Yes she will be a trail rig.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So on another note I removed the Tupperware on the passenger side. And the Rust that was under it was unreal.
143559032_1528834490840524_7275987506720079482_n.jpg

The can next to car is a 1/4 of the way full of dirt and rust that was being held in the plastic side piece. Now to get into it and clean all that up as best I can.

Back