Where are all the used 1st gens? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are all the used 1st gens?

"Cash for Clunkers" took the highest toll on Gen1s. It was the most
traded in IIRC.
Stupidest gov't program EVER. Raised used car prices, to the point where poor folks couldn't find a decent used car at a reasonable price. Even now,last month I was lucky to snag a Gen 2 for 1200, and it needed brakes and exhaust...Still happy to have it. (Private seller on Craigslist)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't seen any on Craigslist in ages in Phoenix or the surrounding cities. I started searching random cities on CL looking for 1st gens, and nothing. Nothing for sale one Ebay either. :dunno:
I live in north Carolina and the only ones I see for sale are completely trashed if any, I guess Cash for clunkers and the ravages of 25+ years has gotten to most of them glad I was able to find my 93 tho

My daily driver 92 and my sons 94 with manual transfer case both came from auction. One from a towing company and the other from a body shop.

. . . I'm keeping eyes open for a gen1 sport but they just aren't showing up often, or they're ready to be crushed.
Also check for the Mazda Navajo, '91 - '94. . . Sport with Navajo badging.

Paul

Good point. Though I'm trying to remember how many years it's been since I last saw a Navajo. Might have been a decade.

Good point. Though I'm trying to remember how many years it's been since I last saw a Navajo. Might have been a decade.
The Navajo's are as rare as Hen's Teeth. . . Not to hijack, but found one last year. 83.5K and $2,195 ($3,500 off the lot).
Right-Front (APR 20).jpg

Debut trip to Moab next month. . . , modified since this pic taken.

Paul

Unfortunately I'm seeing more at the pick n pull yards than whats for sale.
I picked mine up last November on FB market place.

I haven't seen any on Craigslist in ages in Phoenix or the surrounding cities. I started searching random cities on CL looking for 1st gens, and nothing. Nothing for sale one Ebay either. :dunno:
Check the local car auctions. Dickensheet.com usually has 2 a month and you can check on Live & Online Auctions | 6 Results | HiBid.com they have about 4 a month. I just bought my 93 sport 1st gen. Just be ready to do some work lol I got lucky with it running and had a key. Just gotta keep looking! This is my baby I just got

317FB74F-AAB0-4CCB-BB12-C8FED24E9446.jpeg

Unfortunately junkyards because of the transmissions going out on them or if they were running traded in for near to nothing I sort of miss my sport not going to lie

So recently i tried buying one from and insurance auction with a clear title and i set my max bid at $1600 i was like for sure ill get it. I was working during the auction set it on auto bid to that price and low and behold i lost... i was shocked. It was just a 1993 xlt 4x4

The only thing worse than the Cash for Clunkers thing was the videos that mechanics posted of them putting the sodium silicate in the engine and blowing the engine up. That was absolutely horrifying to watch, and it was a number of videos of Explorers and Rangers being killed. Not at all cool.

Anyone see the "Pink Floyd The Wall" first-gen that was for sale around the turn of the year in Colorado? I was going to hop a bus out there and grab it, but I balked because I wasn't sure if my industry was going to rebound from the whole Covid thing...was laid off for 10 1/2 months.

It was clean 1st gen 4-door, with 5-speed, manual TC and all the right off road goodies. Now that I am back to work, I am kicking myself for not grabbing it lol.

They were crushed for the cash for cars program

Stinks on ice, let me tell ya.

Screenshot_2021-04-17 It's Over Ten Most Traded-In, Purchased Cash For Clunkers Cars.png

And for OP...
God, this pissed me off...

sad.jpg

If you are looking for a seriously clean 4 door I have a 94 limited that I might sell. It's as rust free as you will ever see. I have the engine out and on the stand doing a full rebuild right now.

I have noticed that too in LA. It's even more dramatic with Navajo's. I have only ever seen one and it has been parked in front of a shop for 2-3 years. I never inquired but there's no for sale sign.
they are getting very old and cost of a trans or major motor work iven a/c full rebuild coul cost more than value. i did see one and talked to owner was in the best condition. my 99 is looking bad trying to decide if its worth putting a clutch in it . alreadt junked a 03 after taking parts off for my 04
even though the 03 and 04 ride better and 4 door . i really liked the 99 ohv 6 with 5 sp 2d bought it july 99

I am told by a buddy of mine who is the service director at a Toyota dealership that Obama's cash for clunkers program took a heavy toll on the first and second gens. His Toyota dealership, in a relatively small town, destroyed at least a dozen. And that was just his Toyota dealership and does not account for how many were destroyed in the same small town by the Ford dealer and the other dealerships.... Every vehicle every part every shred.

-Peter

they are getting very old and cost of a trans or major motor work iven a/c full rebuild coul cost more than value. i did see one and talked to owner was in the best condition. my 99 is looking bad trying to decide if its worth putting a clutch in it . alreadt junked a 03 after taking parts off for my 04
even though the 03 and 04 ride better and 4 door . i really liked the 99 ohv 6 with 5 sp 2d bought it july 99
Cash for clunkers was awful i still have photos for that dark dark time in my life

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many probably feel that they are past useful life. I have a gen2 and gen4 both with 200K+ miles. Most of us probabky know better. Guessing the same guy who looked at his early bronco and said it is not worth anything. Cant find or touch one if those for reasonable money now. Maybe that is where early explorers are headed.

Back