what parts control the camber and the caster? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what parts control the camber and the caster?

Ayame95

Reaction score
City, State
Mendota, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Ford Explorer Limited
Hello, I have a 14 explorer limited 4×4 with 104k miles on it and just had the inner and outer tie rods fixed and new pads and rotors put on but the alignment is off a bit still and can't remember which one was off. I know the tie rod ends control the toe and know the ball joints control one of the other 2 but can't remember which and was also wonder what controls the third. At this point I'm about to just rebuild the front end but wanted to see what other parts I'd need to get the alignment completely fixed.

Thank you in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bring it in to an alignment shop and have it aligned. Changing parts doesn't necessarily correct alignment issues and usually after parts swap, alignment is required to achieve correct alignment.

Bring it in to an alignment shop and have it aligned. Changing parts doesn't necessarily correct alignment issues and usually after parts swap, alignment is required to achieve correct alignment.

My boyfriend is a Ford mechanic and didn't have enough time to figure out what was wrong. The shop was closing for the day and I needed my vehicle back as it's my only vehicle. Now with that being said he also didn't have a lot of time to explain everything to me because I had to go back to work and I was just trying to find out on my own what parts I was looking at replacing. I know some about vehicles especially explorers but I don't know everything. And I've never dealt with anything like this with my 05 explorer xlt 2 wheel drive so this is all new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as I can so he doesn't have to do everything on this vehicle.

I do know there are certain parts that require alignment after but I don't know what parts besides the tie rods. I am also asking so I can see if I need to order the part ahead of time or if I have them at my work.

It has 104k miles on it and I know a lot of parts will/are starting to go bad.

I'm thinking almost any suspension component can impact all 3 (toe, camber, caster).

Balljoints, control arms, bushings, struts, strut mounts can have an impact on all 3.

Also, I'm still not understanding what you mean by this comment. Replacing parts isn't just going to fix your alignment. Alignment needs to happen or at least be checked after replacing parts

"At this point I'm about to just rebuild the front end but wanted to see what other parts I'd need to get the alignment completely fixed."

I'm thinking almost any suspension component can impact all 3 (toe, camber, caster).

Balljoints, control arms, bushings, struts, strut mounts can have an impact on all 3.

Also, I'm still not understanding what you mean by this comment. Replacing parts isn't just going to fix your alignment. Alignment needs to happen or at least be checked after replacing parts

"At this point I'm about to just rebuild the front end but wanted to see what other parts I'd need to get the alignment completely fixed."

I'm just trying to find out what parts control which of the 3 so I have an idea as to prices if I end up having to replace parts.

All he did was replace the inner and outer tie rods which change the toe but doesn't mess with the other 2. He didn't touch anything else so something else is either going bad or it was off to begin with but my vehicle was driving perfectly fine besides the cluncking noise I kept hearing in I'm front right that is now gone.

I know just throwing parts at it won't fix the alignment but I also know if there is more parts going bad it's pointless doing another alignment because it will go out of alignment again.

Hope this clears it up some.

If your boyfriend is a Ford mechanic how does he not know what needs to be done to align it?

As mentioned just take it to an alignment shop. They’ll tell you of anything is bad.

If you read above I explain how neither of us have had time to sit down and fully talk about it. I'm just trying to get all the information I can!!

Any mechanic should know if tie rods are replaced the alignment will be off, and it will need aligned. There’s toe, caster, and camber. Unless your truck is wildly out of alignment nothing special should be needed, such as special cam bushings/bolts. If they are needed any competent shop will have them in stock.

For alignments I always go to an independent shop that specializes in alignments and has a frame machine.

Ok...last time I'm going to say this...the toe alignment was off because the tie rod ends were replaced. He didn't touch anything else yet one of the other 2 is off. He's going to take a closer look at it Tuesday but I'm just looking to see what parts make the camber and caster off. That's all. I am trying to find answers for myself so I know what to possibly expect that might need to be repaired!!! I have put about 10k miles on this vehicle in the short time I've owned it. And know nothing about what was done to it before I got it.

I like doing my own research so I know what to expect ahead of time also so I can learn more. I've never had to deal with this on any of my vehicles before.

So please stop telling me to take it to an alignment shop to get fixed.

You came for advice. You got solid advice. Sorry it’s not what you wanted to hear.

And, it’s last time I’ll say this. If nothing is wildly wrong, you won’t need anything special to fix it. No parts. You need to check it and see if you have the adjustment available with what’s on there. Then do the alignment if adjustably available.

If you just insists on throwing parts at it for a home alignment, good luck.

Get a caster and camber adjustment kit. A mechanic will know what that is. The parts store will know what this is.

here’s how they work:

So, alignment was checked (and in spec) before tie rods were replaced and now toe and one of the other specs is out, is that correct?

If so, its possible one of the specs was barely in spec and when checking again, it's now out just due to setting it up on the alignment equipment.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but bushings, ball joints, control arm, struts, strut mounts, hubs, bearings can all affect caster and camber.

I'll say it again, maybe all you really need is a 4 wheel alignment and no additional parts need to be replaced.

Any mechanic should know if tie rods are replaced the alignment will be off, and it will need aligned. There’s toe, caster, and camber. Unless your truck is wildly out of alignment nothing special should be needed, such as special cam bushings/bolts. If they are needed any competent shop will have them in stock.

For alignments I always go to an independent shop that specializes in alignments and has a frame machine.
Here is something new I experienced a few weeks ago when I went to get my winter tires removed.
As usual, I pulled into the waiting area service bay and went inside to speak to the customer service advisor. I no soon got to the desk when she said your alignment is good and here is the printout. Needless to say, I was a little confused as I had just arrived. It turns out that they just installed a new Hunter Alignment system that reads your alignment as you drive in. It uses 32 cameras that check various points of the wheels and the cameras also cover every part of the exterior to see if there are any existing dents/scratches etc. If a vehicle comes in with damage, they have the option of sending a picture to the body shop should a customer want a repair estimate. When you drive in, the system takes a picture of your license plate which in turn is sent to Carfax (so I was told) which in turn matches it up with a VIN and comes up with the vehicle type and I'm guessing that is where the system picks up the alignment specs. There is a large computer-type display that shows the vehicle picture, license plate number and time it was taken and whether or not an alignment is required. All of this occurs in seconds.

Peter

I suppose that makes sense. Very interesting. As someone who sets up vision systems for a living,I’d rather have the mechanical/laser option. ;). Probably won’t be long before these appear in the “free air check” spots in the national chain tire shops.

You came for advice. You got solid advice. Sorry it’s not what you wanted to hear.

And, it’s last time I’ll say this. If nothing is wildly wrong, you won’t need anything special to fix it. No parts. You need to check it and see if you have the adjustment available with what’s on there. Then do the alignment if adjustably available.

If you just insists on throwing parts at it for a home alignment, good luck.

Get a caster and camber adjustment kit. A mechanic will know what that is. The parts store will know what this is.

here’s how they work:

I came asking about what parts control the camber and caster.

If adjustability isn't available then that means I have to replace the parts. And I understand that but I've just been trying to figure out what parts I'm looking at.

We are not doing an "at home alignment" he took it to his work and did as much as he could and got it as close as he could because they closed at 12. I will be taking it back there on Tuesday to see if it can get completely corrected.

Will that make it easier to fix this issue or no? I work at a parts store and have never used one so have never needed to know much about them. But I do ask questions when I don't know the answers and there is usually someone there I can get the knowledge from.

I just want to make sure. Everything gets fixed and we don't need to keep taking it apart to fix it if it's not needed. (Hope that makes sense.)

So, alignment was checked (and in spec) before tie rods were replaced and now toe and one of the other specs is out, is that correct?

If so, its possible one of the specs was barely in spec and when checking again, it's now out just due to setting it up on the alignment equipment.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but bushings, ball joints, control arm, struts, strut mounts, hubs, bearings can all affect caster and camber.

I'll say it again, maybe all you really need is a 4 wheel alignment and no additional parts need to be replaced.

Correct.

OK. That makes sense as to why it went from fine to somethings off.

I didn't know hubs and bearing could affect any of that.

Thank you for the possible parts that could be at fault. I know just throwing parts at it won't magically fix the problem without another alignment but I also know doing an alignment with bad parts is pointless as it will eventually go back out of alignment which I don't want either.

I don't have a clue what's been done to it before I bought it but this explorer has different issues with it then what my 05 had so this is a whole new learning experience for me.

Here is something new I experienced a few weeks ago when I went to get my winter tires removed.
As usual, I pulled into the waiting area service bay and went inside to speak to the customer service advisor. I no soon got to the desk when she said your alignment is good and here is the printout. Needless to say, I was a little confused as I had just arrived. It turns out that they just installed a new Hunter Alignment system that reads your alignment as you drive in. It uses 32 cameras that check various points of the wheels and the cameras also cover every part of the exterior to see if there are any existing dents/scratches etc. If a vehicle comes in with damage, they have the option of sending a picture to the body shop should a customer want a repair estimate. When you drive in, the system takes a picture of your license plate which in turn is sent to Carfax (so I was told) which in turn matches it up with a VIN and comes up with the vehicle type and I'm guessing that is where the system picks up the alignment specs. There is a large computer-type display that shows the vehicle picture, license plate number and time it was taken and whether or not an alignment is required. All of this occurs in seconds.

Peter

That's really neat!! I've never heard of any shops by me using this.

So from what I am gathering, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that if I'm putting performance parts or anything that's not "oe" or brand new on my vehicle and the camber/caster is off then I need to use the kits to correct it otherwise it's not necessary and that there's a part that's going bad? I'm just trying to understand and figure out what's best.

So from what I am gathering, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that if I'm putting performance parts or anything that's not "oe" or brand new on my vehicle and the camber/caster is off then I need to use the kits to correct it otherwise it's not necessary and that there's a part that's going bad? I'm just trying to understand and figure out what's best.
Take to someone that has the time and expertise. Don't diagnose and throw money or make decisions based upon what you hear on this forum....
Somethings are best left to others.

Take to someone that has the time and expertise. Don't diagnose and throw money or make decisions based upon what you hear on this forum....
Somethings are best left to others.

I agree. Just trying to understand as well. I also don't want to just throw parts at my vehicle but at the same time I want to make sure that what's on there now won't fail anytime soon which I know can never be guaranteed. But the 14 focus I had for 8ish months between my 2 explorers was a complete nightmare and put me in a really bad spot that I never want to be in again no matter the reason.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree. Just trying to understand as well. I also don't want to just throw parts at my vehicle but at the same time I want to make sure that what's on there now won't fail anytime soon which I know can never be guaranteed. But the 14 focus I had for 8ish months between my 2 explorers was a complete nightmare and put me in a really bad spot that I never want to be in again no matter the reason.
If I were you get the facts on whats going on first. Kits for alignment are unlikely. Start there.

Back