Where are all the used 1st gens? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are all the used 1st gens?

I'm so glad I bought my Explorers when I did. My last first gen purchase was the Navajo I picked up in Frankfort KY, about 2.5 years ago. I've ever only seen one other one in person, nearly 12 years ago now.

This is the natural automotive progression. These vehicles have been cheap used transportation for the last 10 years like many other cars of the 90s and 2000s. Their low value usually makes it such that people won't fix them when they break and they just go buy another $1000 beater and junk it or leave it in the weeds.
The few first gens I've been seeing for sale lately have been in the neighborhood of $6 - $9k, which is more than twice what I paid for any of mine. Now they are beginning to be worth enough to fix and interest in early 90s vehicles in on the rise. With the Bronco revolution on the horizon, I look for B2 values to soar. The Explorer was the next gen Bronco 2, and people will begin to take notice of them in the next few years. Every car that was popular when new, will be popular classic cars later. It just takes about 35 years or so for the cycle to complete.

Our 68 mustang convertible is a perfect example of this. My dad bought it for $800 in 1974. It was just another used car at that time, like a 2012 honda or something would be today. We still have it today, I don't have to tell you what that car is in today's market. We wouldn't have it if we had to buy it today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't seen any on Craigslist in ages in Phoenix or the surrounding cities. I started searching random cities on CL looking for 1st gens, and nothing. Nothing for sale one Ebay either. :dunno:
Hi, I saw your inquiry, and just passing on some info I recently heard, because I'm driving a 92.

Apparently, when there was the "Cash for clunkers program" in 2009, the first gen explorers were booked at about $2500, and many could get $4500 for turning them in. I hear that they were the top number of vehicles that were turned in and scrapped during that program.

I'm a little ways north of you in Salt Lake, but may sell mine soon, of I can figure out a battery drain issue with my 02. Also, there is a local site if you lookup KSL Classifieds, and there are a couple for sale on there. I know it's a bit far, but if you're looking on eBay, it's at least in the same part of the country

hope this helps

👍 Picked my 1st gen up from Placerville. The PO didn't want to deal with the blown transmission and the back hatch was stuck closed.
I swooped it up. Fixed it and now driving it.
Saw a nice gold colored 1999 second gen in need of a transmission for like $1500.00 here in the Bay Area Also a few Explorer sports as well. Most are no rust unless they spend their lives in Pacifica or Half Moon Bay on the Ca. Coast.

I'm so glad I bought my Explorers when I did. My last first gen purchase was the Navajo I picked up in Frankfort KY, about 2.5 years ago. I've ever only seen one other one in person, nearly 12 years ago now.

This is the natural automotive progression. These vehicles have been cheap used transportation for the last 10 years like many other cars of the 90s and 2000s. Their low value usually makes it such that people won't fix them when they break and they just go buy another $1000 beater and junk it or leave it in the weeds.
The few first gens I've been seeing for sale lately have been in the neighborhood of $6 - $9k, which is more than twice what I paid for any of mine. Now they are beginning to be worth enough to fix and interest in early 90s vehicles in on the rise. With the Bronco revolution on the horizon, I look for B2 values to soar. The Explorer was the next gen Bronco 2, and people will begin to take notice of them in the next few years. Every car that was popular when new, will be popular classic cars later. It just takes about 35 years or so for the cycle to complete.

Our 68 mustang convertible is a perfect example of this. My dad bought it for $800 in 1974. It was just another used car at that time, like a 2012 honda or something would be today. We still have it today, I don't have to tell you what that car is in today's market. We wouldn't have it if we had to buy it today.
I agree, I went with my stepdad when he went to buy his new 1975 F-250 Custom “ Trailer Special” with the 390 FE motor, two wheel drive not a “Camper Special” which was more common, the badge under the F250 emblem even reads Trailer Special, most likely the same spec as the camper spec. however we still have it along with the original Invoice, $6636.32.
The 68‘ Mustang, especially the fastback made famous in Bullitt is iconic, a rag top is even nicer,now that’s a keeper! not many left around, a special car for sure.

@Rick

I’ve seen worse. And, hey, she’s top of the line.....

I agree, I went with my stepdad when he went to buy his new 1975 F-250 Custom “ Trailer Special” with the 390 FE motor, two wheel drive not a “Camper Special” which was more common, the badge under the F250 emblem even reads Trailer Special, most likely the same spec as the camper spec. however we still have it along with the original Invoice, $6636.32.
The 68‘ Mustang, especially the fastback made famous in Bullitt is iconic, a rag top is even nicer,now that’s a keeper! not many left around, a special car for sure.
Awesome. That's great you still have it! I like stories like that. My dad's car has not been restored, just maintained and driven. He likes to joke that it has all it's original dirt and rust! It had several burnt valves when he got it. The 289 V8 has one 302 head on it as a cheap fix from 1977. Apparently a junkyard head was cheaper than rebuilding the one on it, and it still motors along like a trusty old Ford.

My best friend has a 46 GMC, 2 ton truck that his grandfather bought new. He also has the 1929 Minneapolis 27-42 tractor his great grandfather bought new. There is a lot of family history in those two machines.

It's neat to meet people who have and care for the items from their past and their families past like that. I still have my first car. Its the 92 Explorer 2 door in my avatar picture. I bought it in 2002, when it was just another used car. Now it's becoming a collector car.

You know these rigs are old when you can proudly display this:
Airbags (APR 21).jpg

Paul

I'm really having second thoughts on the 02, they really did some odd stuff with the engine and trans and more. I probably shouldn't give up the 92. it's much more backyard mechanic-ish to maintain. Besides.... I always keep extra fluids, misc stuff in a container in the back like jumper cables, tow strap, etc, in case someone needs one. It kind of sucks that on the newer ones, the only keyhole is in the drivers door, so if for instance your battery went dead, you are climbing through or whatever you can do from the drivers door. No key access from the back. You could be the best with maintenance, but at some point, that could happen

Awesome. That's great you still have it! I like stories like that. My dad's car has not been restored, just maintained and driven. He likes to joke that it has all it's original dirt and rust! It had several burnt valves when he got it. The 289 V8 has one 302 head on it as a cheap fix from 1977. Apparently a junkyard head was cheaper than rebuilding the one on it, and it still motors along like a trusty old Ford.

My best friend has a 46 GMC, 2 ton truck that his grandfather bought new. He also has the 1929 Minneapolis 27-42 tractor his great grandfather bought new. There is a lot of family history in those two machines.

It's neat to meet people who have and care for the items from their past and their families past like that. I still have my first car. Its the 92 Explorer 2 door in my avatar picture. I bought it in 2002, when it was just another used car. Now it's becoming a collector car.
Your avatar picture looks similar to what I am building.We bought our Dark green 99 Xlt 4X new, and it was a grocery getter with occasional trips to Tahoe. My son drove it to high school and he is now going to Baylor University so I decided to turn it into an overland vehicle and surprise him when he comes home next month as we all like camping and adventure camping. So far I have lifted it 2-3 inches, bought some Pro comp “Rock Crawler” 15 X 8 in black then ordered a set of Dick Cepek All Terrains which have yet to arrive. removed the second row seats and built a platform that extends up to a few inches from the back of the front seats. Roof rack, light bar and 4” LED’s mounted on the left right and rear of the rack. We tend to leave late in the afternoon for trips which puts us up in the Sierras well after 0 Dark 30, so the xtra light to set up camp works well.
Like Your dads car, I think I prefer to keep the old truck just the way it is, we like to call it “Unrestored & Unmolested” , a few dents here and there but just cool to have and drive, a family treasure to us as my stepdad is no longer with us. Like Your Mustang, most every time we take the truck out for a ride we either get a few thumbs up or someone will say they had one and they never should have sold it! so cool to see older cars out and about, Time machines for sure...

I'm really having second thoughts on the 02, they really did some odd stuff with the engine and trans and more. I probably shouldn't give up the 92. it's much more backyard mechanic-ish to maintain. Besides.... I always keep extra fluids, misc stuff in a container in the back like jumper cables, tow strap, etc, in case someone needs one. It kind of sucks that on the newer ones, the only keyhole is in the drivers door, so if for instance your battery went dead, you are climbing through or whatever you can do from the drivers door. No key access from the back. You could be the best with maintenance, but at some point, that could happen
I originally had a 95x when I joined this forum back in 2001.
I got rid of it about 8 or 9 years ago and I wasn't around on the forum anymore.
As time moved along I missed my Explorer and it was time to pick up another one. But what I have learned in the earlier years on here a 1st gen was what I really wanted and now I have one.

I originally had a 95x when I joined this forum back in 2001.
I got rid of it about 8 or 9 years ago and I wasn't around on the forum anymore.
As time moved along I missed my Explorer and it was time to pick up another one. But what I have learned in the earlier years on here a 1st gen was what I really wanted and now I have one.
Glad you got one. I'll have to throw a photo up. Mine is nothing special, but it's an XLT, pretty much a stocker with the fender flare kit, which I never see on any others. roof rack & running boards. It's straight, runs nicely, and is dependable. Odometer says about 76, but I have no idea, guessing its 176, doubt it would be more. The rocker panels are rusted out on the back end under the back of the back doors, but other than that, it's pretty solid

41LSZyomG2L.jpg

🤣

I added heated west coast mirrors to my 93 F-superduty. I was looking for a switch and found this. It's along the same vane as the decals.

IMG_20210419_173247250_HDR.jpg

Thank you gentleman. I am having several made to my expectations. Don't know if there are any ladies here? But the new sticker will say.........with a play on a word or so......
NO AIR BAGS
WE DIE LIKE REAL WOMEN!

Have a couple of "old" lady friend antique car owners who will love these. We are all over 70 and like to kick the oil cans around. One "mechanic" wants me to design stickers for their Saber Jet. One day she will get it put back together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Totally. In fact, they are beyond that point. It is a given that once a vehicle hits the bottom of it's depreciation curve, almost any meaningful repair costs "more than it's worth". That is the point where "what it's worth" becomes more an issue of what it's worth to you, (or if it starts to appreciate in the collector market because it is interesting or rare). We have a 2003 (Fall 2003 build date) 5.0 v8 BMW ///M5. It hit the bottom of it's depreciation value a long time ago, as another and yet another M5 came out. But... now... Collectors are becoming interested (last of the V8's, proper six speed manual, etc...) and low mileage, good condition examples are skyrocketing. I don't know if this will happen with our explorers, but maybe? Ours is a 1997 OHC 4.0, low'ish miles (147K). It's blue book value is tiny. but Because everything works like it should, it essentially works like a new car with nothing wrong with it, so it's worth more to us than what we could get for selling it. so selling is a bad idea... for us.

-Peter
You hit the nail on the head, with "what it's worth to YOU". I think of it also in 'replacement cost' - having gotten an idea of upcoming maintenance/repair for my new to me Explorer, could I have done better $ wise while getting what I want in a vehicle? At this point in time, I'm satisfied! Back when I had my '74 Satellite, a truck hit my door and bent it so it wouldn't close right. For that, my car was "totaled"! Of couse I kept it, their insurance paid the $200 repair, LOL. But it was mechanically sound and fun to drive.

Back