Slow starter after engine replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Slow starter after engine replacement

Josef161

Reaction score
City, State
Kissimmee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, Explorer xls
Hi, i got a refurbished engine in my 2005 explorer and every since i picked it up the starter turns really slow. The battery is brand new and i can't remember that the starter was slow before the explorer was sent to the mechanic. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Could it be that the wire is loose on the starter, or is the starter going bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Test for a voltage drop from battery to starter. Make sure it’s getting full juice.

Agree with above. You likely have a high resistance connection. They probably forgot the ground strap from frame to engine block. That’s how the starter grounds through the block.

Do you have jumper cables? Hook one to a solid, bare metal part of the motor, and to the NEGATIVE battery terminal. Do nothing with the positive. Try and crank it. If it’s better you have a grounding issue.

Hello, i just wanted you to know that i figured out what it was. The car was sitting for 2 months and the battery was discharged to a certain degree, it wasn't able to recharge one the way home (60 miles) it took about 300 miles to re-charge (with light and a/c on high). Thanks for your help.

If it takes that long your alternator is probably about to fail, or the battery is just about shot. Any dead battery should fully charge in a half hour of driving.

If it takes that long your alternator is probably about to fail, or the battery is just about shot. Any dead battery should fully charge in a half hour of driving.
Thank you, it must be the alternator because the battery is almost new

A new battery can be ruined by an extreme discharge, unfortunately.

Back