Where to find an air intake hose?

festiboi

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer
Hey guys,
I cannot find an air intake hose at all for my 1992 Ford Explorer.

There's a leak and it does need replacing with the rubber becoming non-pliable and cracked.

I've looked online on Ebay, Amazon, and RockAuto among others, checked with Pep Boys, and even the Ford dealer. But no luck with any at all, and the Ford dealer says they're a redundant part that is no longer stocked.

Surely, there has to be one out there for such a common vehicle. Does anyone know where else to look? Ford part number is F2TZ9B659Z

Thanks!

517RWUS-JwL._SL1024_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Commonly called the air intake tube, I had someone find me a decent one in a junkyard, and I’m pretty sure I saw them on amazon etc. maybe didn’t use the right wording when you searched.
Also, I’ve patched them before using silicone tape, doing multiple overlapping wraps, and had success. Maybe try that until you find a replacement.

I think they pretty much dried up by this point. I ended up forking out $140 for mine from Quirk parts 2 years ago, which happened to be the best price I could find. Unfortunately they no longer have it either.

There is one on ebay, but....

I want to know who's paying 3 G's for these because they sold 11 of them. Granted, the price was probably lower when there were more, but by how much I don't know.
And yet there's tons of listings for the intake tube for 3.0 Rangers...I don't get it, does the one on the 4.0 just deteriorate faster so there's none of them left? Or is it because the 3.0 is more ubiquitous?

Anyway, I'm not sure who else has them. Some people have resorted to fabricating their own intake tubes out of aftermarket components, or just replace the whole system with a cold air intake.

Holy cow that price is absurd! EBay used to have tons of new oem tubes for sale, usually ~$150 or so. Didn't realize there are none to be had anymore. But fear not! Check the local LKQ lots around LA. I just looked at the one for sun valley and there are two first gens there. They almost always have the tubes.

partsgeek.com has one listed for $190. Lot better than 3 grand!!

partsgeek.com has one listed for $190. Lot better than 3 grand!!

Hey Gadget!
Great suggestion and I had forgotten about Partsgeek. $190 is a lot better than $3k!

But.......even though it's listed, the part is out of stock 😭. No bueno!

Capture.JPG

I have a couple spares on the shelf in my garage. They're solid, but will need clamps/boots on the ends. One of them can be yours if you pay shipping. They're not really doing me any good gathering dust. Email me bthompson47f@hotmail.com

UPDATE: I no longer have any spare intake tubes, but make trips to the salvage yard monthly. I will keep an eye out for folks that are interested. No promises. Cheers!

I have a couple spares on the shelf in my garage. They're solid, but will need clamps/boots on the ends. One of them can be yours if you pay shipping. They're not really doing me any good gathering dust. Email me bthompson47f@hotmail.com
Thank you so much! I'll send an email shortly!

Luckily I have a spare but I am not looking to sell mine for obvious reasons.
for 3 grand, you could have one custom fabricated for less I bet
That price is highway robbery imho

Luckily I have a spare but I am not looking to sell mine for obvious reasons.
for 3 grand, you could have one custom fabricated for less I bet
That price is highway robbery imho
It is highway robbery! I thought it was a typo and they misplaced the decimal point. It's an obnoxious price for a piece of plastic, and worth more than the entire car!

So here's another idea!

There seems to be a few of these floating around for the Mazda B-Series trucks with the 4.0, and according to Mazda, they will fit a Navajo with a 4.0. Which would then likely fit an Explorer with the 4.0????

Sounds logical, or completely crazy?

Here is Mazda's chart:
Air Filter.JPG

And a picture of the Navajo engine. The plastic ribbing looks a bit different, and there's bracing that holds it down, but the shape and size look about right. What say you?

Capture.JPG

Identical.

On our newest first gen, I ended up cutting off the bad end at the throttle body, and using a silicone coupler to mate it back up. It worked well and cost less than $20.

I want to know who's paying 3 G's for these because they sold 11 of them. Granted, the price was probably lower when there were more, but by how much I don't know.

That is an ebay trick sellers use when they run out of inventory. Jack up the price so they don't sell, you don't have to delete the listing and you keep all the people watching it until you get more inventory in. Once they have inventory back the price goes to normal (looks like $250ish is what it is selling for) and they don't have to pay for a new listing.

And a picture of the Navajo engine. The plastic ribbing looks a bit different, and there's bracing that holds it down, but the shape and size look about right. What say you?

Same thing. Thats not bracing holding it down. That is a 3 pc tube with hose clamps connecting the outer sections to the middle flat tube. Both my 91s had the 3 piece tube like that.

Ah, that makes sense. I've never sold anything on Ebay before so I wouldn't have known.

I did order the part from Mazda and it's a perfect fit. The part even has the Ford logo underneath.

Good to know that for parts that Ford doesn't stock anymore, Mazda seems to have a much better inventory

What was the price for the Mazda version?

What was the price for the Mazda version?
It was $157 plus tax and shipping for a total of $180. That was from mazda-parts.com, which is based out of a Mazda dealer in LA. Ironically, the local dealerships were quoting $220 if I ordered it at the counter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s not a terrible price for a brand new part!
Thanks for posting that

Back