Preferred Brand for Front Wheel/Hub Replacement? 1996 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preferred Brand for Front Wheel/Hub Replacement? 1996 4WD

Flye

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
1996 XLT, 4WD, 4.0OHV, Automatic

Alignment shop is telling me front wheel bearings have wear/play.

I typically use Rockauto for purchase of this type of part purchase. Prices run from $94.00 for Moog to $150+ for AC-Delco. In between there is SBF, Timken, Raybestos and others.

Any direction, advice or experience with a 'brand' to pick? Not sure if this many companies make their own parts or not, but thought I'd ask. Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are probably all made in China by now (Moog bearings are made there). I like advance auto, there are coupons, price matching, and a 3 yr warranty right down the street. If you deal with online you may have to pay $20 to ship back, wait for a replacement.
Looks like you can get Moog there too.
SKF/Timken are the most premium brands. They share parts and rebox. Very Likely to last the life of your truck.

I've always gone with Timken. Great reputation in the bearing industry and supplied as OEM on these Explorers.

I always uses the factory brand Timken. Either from AutoZone or RockAuto. Whoever is cheaper. They usually last 60 to 80k.

Those mentioned brands are good, Ford is always a top quality also. I've bought several over about 15 years, the first two were OEM for $200 each, my cost then. I haven't worn out any that I've bought, but after 150k miles, any are likely to be near their end of life.

I've bought SKF for the last four, from Rock Auto, I think those are at the top. The Moog or one with Timken bearings would be the level above the cheap crap.

Timken or Precision (@Turdle recommended to me)

I get 100k or so out of Timkens. Installed a Moog once and it barely lasted half that. Back to Timken.

SKF makes high quality bearings in general, wouldn’t hesitate to buy them either. Never used their hub assemblies though, so I can’t comment.

I chose Timken, decent quality at a fair $100-ish price, but if the bearing didn't have the brand on it, back it would go. Quality bearings have enough manufacturer pride to put their name on it.

I'd be fine with SKF too, but wouldn't pay over 40% more (rock auto pricing) for a 20+ year old vehicle that isn't appreciating in value.

Go with Moog or Timken. With the time and effort to replace, you do not want to be doing this again in 3 months...ask me how I know.

Shop for a deal. There are often promotional offers from auto parts stores, you may also be able to find some on ebay and the like for more reasonable prices.

Not something you want to skimp on.

@Flye Just had a total front end overhaul done with my lift, replaced the bearings and hubs with Timkens. They're a good balance between performance and price, and I figured I couldn't go wrong, since I got 186k out of the factory set (street, not trail). Not complaining at all.

Also did the steering over with Moogs, upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, the works. If you want a good product, pay for a good product.

Rockauto is your friend, I got the front end kit as a whole for a discount, and it was on closeout for a further discount. Sourcing individual parts may be cheaper or more expensive, depending on where you get them. NAPA is also your friend.

Regards.

Back