Update Would you call this totaled?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Update Would you call this totaled??

I do not understand what posses people to mess with their cell phone while driving? What is that important that it can not wait until you get home?.:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I totally agree with you Mike, just remember that there was no mention that the person at fault was looking at their cell phone. Could have been looking at the instrument cluster or something other than a cell phone. We may never find out.

Peter

Peter you are right, & I was making a statement about people & their cell phones while driving but seeing as there was mention of the person who hit the OP was only 18yo chances are 99 out of 100 they were looking at their cell phone.

I do not understand what posses people to mess with their cell phone while driving? What is that important that it can not wait until you get home?.:confused:
That person should be grateful they were driving a big car with a long hood...Could very well have been a fatal accident with a smaller car!

I'm sure you'll find the same reactions with many companies.

Peter
I think it may depend on which side of the company you are on. As a customer of theirs my rates have never went up, despite a totaled Subaru (deer) an extensive body work payout (wife sideswiped my plow) rollover Escape (deer, but my fault) and *way* too many moving violations.

They gave me 1,000 more than I paid for the Subaru after 3 years of driving it, and I had a check within 3 days of the accident. They did the estimate in my driveway, and left the car for 2 days and told me I could pull anything off it, including the aftermarket wheels, it just needed wheels to roll onto the flatbed.

I think it may depend on which side of the company you are on. As a customer of theirs my rates have never went up, despite a totaled Subaru (deer) an extensive body work payout (wife sideswiped my plow) rollover Escape (deer, but my fault) and *way* too many moving violations.

They gave me 1,000 more than I paid for the Subaru after 3 years of driving it, and I had a check within 3 days of the accident. They did the estimate in my driveway, and left the car for 2 days and told me I could pull anything off it, including the aftermarket wheels, it just needed wheels to roll onto the flatbed.
In the time that your rates never went up, have you had decent credit? Progressive will insure someone with a DUI at a reasonable rate if they have perfect credit. Their price comparison tool is a great way for them to cherry pick their risk by making them look cheaper or more expensive than the other guys.

In the time that your rates never went up, have you had decent credit? Progressive will insure someone with a DUI at a reasonable rate if they have perfect credit. Their price comparison tool is a great way for them to cherry pick their risk by making them look cheaper or more expensive than the other guys.
My credit has been decent. It’s probably gotten better as I’ve had the policy.

An update to this dilemma. After some cat and mouse from the dealership getting the estimate sent to the insurance company, they had some miscommunication, the grand total of repairs are estimated at $15,500. They are proceeding with repairs as they value it near $30,000 which is more than I paid for it with this inflated used car market. I talked with the body man at the dealership yesterday, he said once he's got the parts they'll have it done in a week and a half. Problem is he said that some Explorer parts have been getting back ordered. Now I have to decide whether to trade it off, or drive it close to home through the summer and see if the market cools off to where I can find one that we want to replace it with (wife teaches and won't have to drive to work for a few months). Or if it seems alright keep it for another year where we'll be able to afford a brand new one. I know if I trade now it should have a higher resale value then if I wait until the market floods again, but there's just not much out there around here to replace it with. At this time I can't afford new. Local dealership only has 2 on his lot, one of those is a twin to mine but a year older and same mileage but it was wrecked in the front and the other is a 2020 platinum with 7k miles on it which is out of my league, the next closest has 0 and it's a bigger dealership. Without needing it for a daily driver for a few months, maybe something will come in that I could trade for.

Also, I'm not knocking Progressive. I actually have them for my side by side insurance. I think it's more that the fact it probably wasn't turned in. We know the girl that hit her and I wouldn't put it past them.

Since I'm not shopping for a car, it didn't occur to me the prices have really inflated. I think it will be awhile before the market cools off. No matter how well the car is repaired, it will always be damaged goods.
I have progressive insurance and I knock them for the lack of support if you signup for insurance directly with them. I've been trying since December to get them to respond to an insurance verification request but the only email address they will give to me is for unmonitored automated email so the request doesn't contain the information for the system to flag it to my account.

An update to this dilemma. After some cat and mouse from the dealership getting the estimate sent to the insurance company, they had some miscommunication, the grand total of repairs are estimated at $15,500. They are proceeding with repairs as they value it near $30,000 which is more than I paid for it with this inflated used car market. I talked with the body man at the dealership yesterday, he said once he's got the parts they'll have it done in a week and a half. Problem is he said that some Explorer parts have been getting back ordered. Now I have to decide whether to trade it off, or drive it close to home through the summer and see if the market cools off to where I can find one that we want to replace it with (wife teaches and won't have to drive to work for a few months). Or if it seems alright keep it for another year where we'll be able to afford a brand new one. I know if I trade now it should have a higher resale value then if I wait until the market floods again, but there's just not much out there around here to replace it with. At this time I can't afford new. Local dealership only has 2 on his lot, one of those is a twin to mine but a year older and same mileage but it was wrecked in the front and the other is a 2020 platinum with 7k miles on it which is out of my league, the next closest has 0 and it's a bigger dealership. Without needing it for a daily driver for a few months, maybe something will come in that I could trade for.

Also, I'm not knocking Progressive. I actually have them for my side by side insurance. I think it's more that the fact it probably wasn't turned in. We know the girl that hit her and I wouldn't put it past them.
Have you ever considered leasing? Perhaps a short-term lease until the market settles down.

Peter

The car will not be worth what a non-collision repaired used Explorer of the same year. A major collision report always drops the value. Make sure the insurance is prepared to cut you a check for the difference when you sell or trade it in.

The car will not be worth what a non-collision repaired used Explorer of the same year. A major collision report always drops the value. Make sure the insurance is prepared to cut you a check for the difference when you sell or trade it in.
It wouldn’t be when it was sold, it’d be its current depreciated value.

Wife was in an accident 2 1/2 weeks ago. She's ok. The party that hit her insurance never made contact with us which they have progressive so we finally just turned it on on our own to let them fight it out. It's a 2017 limited 58,000 miles 2wd. I talked with the body shop at the dealer yesterday and he said he's over $15,000 in damages. It's been there for a week now and still waiting to hear back on insurance. I lit a fire under them again last night so hopefully I hear something soon. At least they are providing a rental. She was hit by a 2001 Grand Marquise and it was about windshield deep under the Explorer. Most damage is underneath and rear, back doors still open/close fine. There's one small krinkle above passenger rear door.

View attachment 330336View attachment 330337View attachment 330338View attachment 330339View attachment 330340
Honestly it depends on who works on it, but keep in mind if it warped that high up there may be severe damage you don't see.

Well, after a couple months it looks real good. Not sure if I'll keep it. I think I'm gonna move up to a 2020 or 2021 while I can get good money with the ding on the carfax with this one.
?hash=00b120f2c36db2573264b0e153bb2ff6.jpg
20210706_134516.jpg

20210706_134558.jpg

I'm impressed, looks like new again. My luck is, someone would tap the other side of the car within a few months.

I'm impressed, looks like new again. My luck is, someone would tap the other side of the car within a few months.
Yes, the Ford dealership here has one of the best body shops around. He said there was a lot of new parts put on it, he said surprisingly nothing structural was damaged and they were able to replace everything that was. They proceeded to detail the rest of the outside and also the inside, which did have soda all over since the wife had a full one in the cupholder when she got hit.

Back