Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I'm currently in state of deep contemplation about vehicles and I won't even say how many that I really own myself and or co-own with my Wife or brother. Scrap metal is so high that 30 minutes ago I convinced my Wife that getting $400- for the '92 plum with 330,000 miles on it (across the scale) wouldn't be a bad price for the wore out truck. Then while in the little contemplating room, you know the one where you can lock yourself in and think for a bit, I started thinking of all of the parts that would fit the '91 and '92 and how I paid $150 for an 8.8 two summers ago and how it is so much easier to work on than the '97. And how the little "Iron Duke" V-6 is so easy to work on... Now that I've come back to the living room and about to re-start the discussion with my Wife, I can here her now. The word Hoarder will come up. and the phrase "you just can't let go of it"... LoL. Now I've decided to sell the blue '97. 2wd V-6. It has been a good one. Also I know that the Explorer Forum isn't the best place to sell one unless it is highly modified or special in some kind of way. Also geography comes into play. I've only happened across one or two people on here in my immediate area of north Alabama. There is a young guy down in Huntsville that has a '99 I think. Maybe he needs a beater to complement his other Explorer. Heck I'll take $800 for it, or if someone were to drive in from 4 or 5 hours away, maybe less. However it's possible that it might not make it back. For one it needs a real good front end alignment. The tires are holding air and the headliner looks like a Covid puppy shredded it while the owner was in Wal-mart (that didn't happen). I know this is not the for sale section, so don't scold me. Mostly contemplating. I don't have near the enthusiasm ( ADDED ethusiasm to work on greasy high mileage '90's Explorers) to work on stuff at my age of 60 but some young guy with more desire and not much money this might be a good truck for them. If it breaks down and you can't fix it, take out the rear end, the diffy is worth $150 to $250 and send the rest across the scale!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no idea what I just read. Maybe some cliff notes?
He has way too many cars, is getting old and is thinking about scrapping some of them. He described one explorer with bald ass tires you could see the air inside that he would be willing to part ways with. He warns not to drive it any farther than you are willing to walk cause he doesn't think it would make a long trip. Interior has been previously experienced and has been driven gently to church in the neighborhood on Sundays by grandma.

@Josh P Thanks for your interpretation. I do feel older but not too old. And the tires have pretty good tread. I drive it everyday (the '97) but the transmission is making a squirty sound and the differential has some wear. I actually think it would make it to Nashville TN from here (100 Miles)

@Josh P Thanks for your interpretation. I do feel older but not too old. I would feel younger with a 41 yo gf but the wife probably wouldn't like her ! And the tires have pretty good tread. I drive it everyday (the '97) but the transmission is making a squirty sound and the differential has some wear. I actually think it would make it to Nashville TN from here (100 Miles)
Getting old beats the alternative. My interpretation is how I thought the ad would read on craigslist.

That's cool @Josh P and funny too. I'm glad to still be walking on this earth. You made me think of when I was a little kid. I thought people in their 60s were as old as dinosaurs. Now 60 is the new 40.
By the way I hope you guys out west aren't "baking" too bad. I see on the news about the heatwave and the wild fires. (and the flooding in western Europe and destruction of the Amazon rain forrest) It has been a bit cooler than normal for summer over this way. Humans may be contributing to climate change....

We have been getting some rain and the temps are average. The fires around Flagstaff caused some issues with mud and flooding. A video was on the news of a Prius floating down what looked like a river with houses on both sides.

Yeah the Prius was clearing branch debris from roadway!

allmyEXes, could we get a partial list of the mystery car collection? Anything vintage or AMC?

I'm currently in state of deep contemplation about vehicles and I won't even say how many that I really own myself and or co-own with my Wife or brother. Scrap metal is so high that 30 minutes ago I convinced my Wife that getting $400- for the '92 plum with 330,000 miles on it (across the scale0 wouldn't be a bad price for the wore out truck. Then while in the little contemplating room, you know the one where you can lock yourself in and think for a bit, I started thinking of all of the parts that would fit the '91 and '92 and how I paid $150 for an 8.8 two summers ago and how it is so much easier to work on than the '97. And how the little "Iron Duke" V-6 is so easy to work on... Now that I've come back to the living room and about to re-start the discussion with my Wife, I can here her now. The word Hoarder will come up. and the phrase "you just can't let go of it"... LoL. Now I've decided to sell the blue '97. 2wd V-6. It has been a good one. Also I know that the Explorer Forum isn't the best place to sell one unless it is highly modified or special in some kind of way. Also geography comes into play. I've only happened across one or two people on here in my immediate area of north Alabama. There is a young guy down in Huntsville that has a '99 I think. Maybe he needs a beater to complement his other Explorer. Heck I'll take $800 for it, or if someone were to drive in from 4 or 5 hours away, maybe less. However it's possible that it might not make it back. For one it needs a real good front end alignment. The tires are holding air and the headliner looks like a Covid puppy shredded it while the owner was in Wal-mart (that didn't happen). I know this is not the for sale section, so don't scold me. Mostly contemplating. I don't have near the enthusiasm to work on stuff at my age of 60 but some young guy with more desire and not much money this might be a good truck for them. If it breaks down and you can't fix it, take out the rear end, the diffy is worth $150 to $250 and send the rest across the scale!

I think you need to buy a few more, ... so you have more than I do. I think I've got eleven now, I almost counted them last week when I was getting registration on one. I keep buying them, but I don't ever sell them. I need more space, or some rich person to come clear my driveway.

I think you need to buy a few more, ... so you have more than I do. I think I've got eleven now, I almost counted them last week when I was getting registration on one. I keep buying them, but I don't ever sell them. I need more space, or some rich person to come clear my driveway.
You got anything I can't live without?

~99 between the several buildable Ford trucks, the six complete running or repairable Explorers. A 1977 Mustang II V-8. 3 buildable Fox bodies, 2 more for parts. ~35 to 40 1965 to 1970 Mustangs some convertibles, Fastbacks and coupes. A 1973 Mercury Cougar. 72 comet, 73 Maverick. Majority of the Mustangs are buildable and a few running. I don't own them all. Half owner on about 25 of the Mustangs. 64 fairlane parts car 65 Mercury Monterey parts car. Friends V-8 Monza coupe out back somewhere, 1985 IROC and 1985 TA both near junk. The TA has the complete 5 speed kit in it and rear disc diffy if someone is building an old Chevy truck. Oh yeah, the 1999 Ranger running project. I can't remember them all but starting to get rid of the junk ones (Chevys) and protecting the best of the Ford stuff And A 1954 f100 that is being worked on. It can all be a bit overwhelming if ya think about it too much...
@Josh P No AMCs... I wish!

~99 between the several buildable Ford trucks, the six complete running or repairable Explorers. A 1977 Mustang II V-8. 3 buildable Fox bodies, 2 more for parts. ~35 to 40 1965 to 1970 Mustangs some convertibles, Fastbacks and coupes. A 1973 Mercury Cougar. 72 comet, 73 Maverick. Majority of the Mustangs are buildable and a few running. I don't own them all. Half owner on about 25 of the Mustangs. 64 fairlane parts car 65 Mercury Monterey parts car. Friends V-8 Monza coupe out back somewhere, 1985 IROC and 1985 TA both near junk. The TA has the complete 5 speed kit in it and rear disc diffy if someone is building an old Chevy truck. Oh yeah, the 1999 Ranger running project. I can't remember them all but starting to get rid of the junk ones (Chevys) and protecting the best of the Ford stuff And A 1954 f100 that is being worked on. It can all be a bit overwhelming if ya think about it too much...
@Josh P No AMCs... I wish!
I could help clear a few of those cars out, if needed. I'm looking for an older mustang.

it sounds like alot of vehicles but I only have to do something with one a month up until retirement. Around and outside of the Shop duties would be easier if we hadn't lost our 3rd man there. He was an old retired guy that was helping with the mowing spraying etc 6 mos of the year but with several health issues he had 2 quit.
The first on the list that have to go are
1965 Merc Montery for parts-12-21 moved to the Shop
1664 Falcon conv for parts
1980 Mustang hachtback roller $1000- Sold 11-21
1985 IROC for parts no engine or trans, rear disc diffy available
1985 TA with the 5 speed kit that I mentioned, locked up 305? $400- Sold
1967 Ford F350 Camper Special 352/auto $1300 Sold 8-21
1972 Comet for part
1974 Maverick for parts
1997 Explorer my personal driver in original story line
1975 Ford F250 for parts
1979 F100/150? parts
1994 Explorer plum/purple $1050- Sold 11-21
1976 CVF 150 project, This winter hope to rough in and install cab on 2003 Crown Vic chassis with Prius E steering. Probably be spring
A couple of customer Mustangs are in progress blue '65 and Tan '66
2010 Mercury Grand Marquis 66,000 miles, never smoked in-Dad's last new car will be available soon
Here is the latest Mustang me and Bro are working on and should be done by end of the month $9000 Sold
Edited 01-01-22
70onlift.jpg

Factory 351Cleveland 4bbl FMX power front disc brakes and 9 inch. Just added Borgesen Integral power steering and added AC off of a 1969 Cougar. Full new set from Coker Magnum 500 wheels, caps, lugs with nitrogen filled BFGoodrich tires

The 2010 Mercury Grand Marquis, what color is it? The maverick and Comet are starting to go up in value. I never thought they were the best looking cars.

Color code HG Smokestone Metallic on the 2010. After Dad died, Mom brushed the left quarter against something and knocked the mirror off. Very clean car. Dad always kept it under the carport and It has been since we got it from Mom.
The Mav and Comet don't have much left of them. I might use 1 of the 8 inch rearend in the 77MII V-8 to make it 5 lug/stud with Granada disc added to the front. Then 14" Maverick wheels can go all the way around. The 13 inchers make it look too much like an economy car.

@BKennedy I'll get some more pics soon. I'm on my Wife's laptop at home and don't have access to the mass of pictures at work.
@ joshp as far as Mustangs for sale we will be offering them one at a time complete or some state of restoration. We've worked on customer Mustangs for decades and decided that it will be the ones that we own only from now on out. We are on our last three customer 'Stangs.The 1970, the 1965 blue V-8 coupe and a springtime yellow 1965 coupe with a straight six with aftermarket AC and a Foxbody power brake booster. After that we start on our coupes stating with 2 1966 V-8 coupes with sensible upgrades without going crazy or exspensive and the the fun one A 1965 fastback turned into a Shelby looking Mustang maybe med blue with gold stripes 347 stroker possibly but budget at the time will determine. many more after that and anything 1967 and up will have Borgesen Integral PS and not the junkie Ford power assist.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you get the time, please start a new thread for the Mustang builds in the other Ford forum.

I do love the fastback Mustangs. Arguably, the nicest looking street rods on the planet. Great starter builds for someone getting into a DIY type build due to all the aftermarket support.

When I was in my senior year of high school a friend of mine was fairly wealthy and his family was into Mustangs. He drove a GT350 black with gold stripes, to school. He also had a 1969 Boss 429 ram air 4 speed mustang, white with a white interior and black stripes. It was a low mileage car that wasn't taken care of that well, but all original. That pic you posted reminded me of that car. He owed some people some money and offered it to me for $2500. I could only come up with $1500, which was a lot of money in those days. I asked my Dad to loan me the rest and he told me to sell my 1968 SS 396 El Camino if I wanted another vehicle. No way I was going to sell my first car, truck, whatever, so I missed out of the deal of the century as they are now worth north of $150,000.

Back