Look what i got | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Look what i got

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does sound like rust proofing, which I did at new car dealers for a short time, yes very messy. We did under coating and the rust proofing, but as expected, it was a fast not fully covering everything job for an employee. Cars have tons of places that are not accessible. The only good way to coat a vehicle is before or during assembly, the manufacturer should do that. I had my 99 fully apart, so when the body was done and still off the chassis. I used 3M undercoat, three cans did all of it except the wheel wells, I ran out then.
The thing I like about Fluid film and similar products is that they don't dry to be a hard barrier. They are similar to an oil or oily wax that doesn't trap water like a hard rubber coating can do if rust gets behind the barrier. It also seeps into existing rust and stops it at its core from getting worse. It just needs to be applied annually or more often if needed. The dirt it collects actually adds to the "barrier" it creates for added protection. Also, I like that it doesn't hide rust like a hard barrier sealer can do if it is applied wrong.

More pics

20210719_164739.jpg

20210719_165423.jpg

That's great documentation.

Looks pretty nice. Any non-factory stuff cv planned for it?

Fluid Film is a real deal product. I knew a guy who converted all his plow and salt vehicles to a yearly fluid film, and had great results, even will all the excess salt.

I’ve seen a dozen or so lower mileage V8s, and earlier Sport Tracs, and have been thinking of picking up a project.

Looks pretty nice. Any non-factory stuff cv planned for it?
Not until he's out of my home!
Nothing against him but he needs to focus on getting started
My rule
I am going to bring everything up to factory specs for his safety
And he is going to pay for it and do most of the work

Nice find. Congrats:chug:

Congrats, it looks awesome.

It seems in a pretty good shape ... And for a merely $ 1600...
Aside of how is the tranny and a compression test (you just can get some hints of problems in a ten minute test ride), is a good deal if it´s no more than what Donald´s have seen...

In my advice let´s do the deal

@donalds - Stem NC? I travel through Stem on my way up to Hyco Lake..... I may even get to pass by this vehicle. Nice score!

Funny you say
I fluid film my 99 every year

After living in buffalo for most of my life
I've seen new cars rust away in a few years
After moving here I was blown away at how rust free the cars trucks are
It takes 3 cans to do a 2nd gen lol
I left the rust belt back in the mid 1980s when I graduated college so I haven't had to deal with road salt for a very long time. Back then Ziebart was the main rustproofing outfit in my area. They used a rubberized type coating the would allow water to get between it and the metal it was supposed to protect. I swear that spraying their coating on was worse than doing nothing! By the time the rust behind the coating could be seen the vehicle was one winter away from the junkyard.

It seems in a pretty good shape ... And for a merely $ 1600...
Aside of how is the tranny and a compression test (you just can get some hints of problems in a ten minute test ride), is a good deal if it´s no more than what Donald´s have seen...

In my advice let´s do the deal
I didn't do a compression test
Don't feel I need to it runs tight and rite
The trans shifts like new I'm just gonna change the fluid
Nice find and good looking vehicle that looks like the first owner took care of it.
They did
And I hope slimjim takes care of it
Its his first ride to
Its nicer than his dads ride who is jealous...
And that makes me happy

About 10 miles in creedmore NC
I was gonna let him save some more but I couldn't let this one go to nice
So I threw in a few hundred I didn't have but gave him some opportunity and baam
I'm proud of the little guy
I call him slim because when I took him in 9 mo ago he was as skinny as a slimjim

Them boys have been out there washing cleaning that truck all day

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey @donalds , you know you got a great deal. Just to cement that in, I have been looking for a gt40 core . Up here in the Northwest all i can find are complete engines w/ no idea on the condition( but a 3mo. warranty) for $550.
The market reached bottom a couple years ago, and really going up.
Nice to see those boys are showing pride.

Back