2011 Explorer HID HEADLIGHT - change the housing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer HID HEADLIGHT - change the housing?

Ducati_Ted

Reaction score
City, State
Neverland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hi. I have a 2011 Explorer with HID. My passenger side headlight keeps flickering out and it is dimmer than the driver's side. I'm guessing I need a new headlight? Is it just the HID ballast or something that needs replacing?

I kinda want blacked out headlights though... so if I need to replace the whole right headlight, I would like to consider going with the blacked out ones. But all advertisements/listings say the blacked out headlights are for the Projector Headlight only (Base Model). The HID is superior to the Projector IMO so I prefer to keep them if possible. So. Couple more questions: 1) can I buy the blacked out ones and somehow modify them to still use my HID beams? 2) Can I buy the blacked out ones (again, meant for Projector/Base Model) and somehow bypass the HID system and just put in some really bright white Projector bulbs? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Ted. :wave:
The housings are designed for the particular bulbs that they come with. Also, I'm not aware of the Base having "blacked out" headlights. As far as I know, the tinted headlights only came out on the Sport model in 2013. I think that you are probably better off sticking with the OEM lights. LED lights can become dimmer over time but the "flickering" is intriguing. It could be the ballast. Are you able to switch the ballasts around from one light to the other to check?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Ted. :wave:
The housings are designed for the particular bulbs that they come with. Also, I'm not aware of the Base having "blacked out" headlights. As far as I know, the tinted headlights only came out on the Sport model in 2013. I think that you are probably better off sticking with the OEM lights. LED lights can become dimmer over time but the "flickering" is intriguing. It could be the ballast. Are you able to switch the ballasts around from one light to the other to check?

Peter
Thanks for the reply, Peter.
That’s a good idea (to switch ballasts to check). I will figure that out. Thanks!

Yeah, the sport 2013 had the black inside the housing. eBay has a bunch of replicas. But they are for non-HID. So, I’m trying to find a solution to have the blacked out headlights but with bright white headlights (regular halogens are a bit dim for my preference).

As Peter suggested, try swapping the bulbs and see if the problem follows. You can buy new HID bulbs for like $40

I didn't know the Explorer came with factory HID. My 2013 Sport had halogens when I got so I installed an aftermarket HID system (fogs too)

.............................................I didn't know the Explorer came with factory HID. ................................................
HID were standard on the Limited for the Canadian market and an option for the one in the U.S.

Peter

Back