• Register Today It's free!

Mr. Alligator

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
I was wondering why everyone has chosen the Ford Explorer class? Why the interest? There must be a number of different reasons... Reliable? Value? Simplicity? Find one cheap? One reason for the selection of the Explorer might even be the existence of this Forum!

Myself: I was given my 1997 Explorer brand new as an extremely generous Christmas gift from my brother. I have kept the truck as a daily driver ever since, in no small part to honor that kindness. When I found this Forum ten years ago, my Ford had about 200,000 miles, and lots of deferred maintenance. The first project I did was to read up and figure out how to adjust my hood release so that I could get the hood open. Then, project after project, I caught up on maintenance, repairs, and minor modifications. Thanks to this Forum, my Truck is in much better mechanical condition now than it was 10 years ago. The Explorer seems very versatile: from use in Colorado mountains in Winter, to towing a boat to Lake Ontario in the Summer, to transporting my big German Shepards everywhere I travel, and daily driving in Florida Summers.

There are so many Members on this Forum who contribute time, ingenuity, craftsmanship, and strong mechanical skills to keep these trucks running. Why the extraordinary patience? Why the devotion to keeping these trucks running?

Let's hear your story....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My youngest daughter and her boyfriend bought a 2001 Explorer XLT SOHC five or six years ago (after he wrecked her 2002 PT Cruiser). I had nothing to do with the selection of this vehicle or it's purchase. The truck turned out to be a POS on an out-of-state salvaged title. I ended up doing quite a bit of work on it just so it could be registered and road worthy. During those repairs I drove the truck daily for about a month. I really liked it's size, ride and utility (but hated the rattling SOHC engine). A couple of years later I was looking for a used pickup for myself, but found the prices to be too high. Then I came across my '01 EB 5.0L RWD. It was a one owner vehicle, was fully optioned and other than a torn driver's seat bottom (which I replaced) it was in almost new condition. It has been one of the best vehicles I've ever driven. I've had no problems with it at all in 5 years.

As I do all the vehicle repairs for my family, when the '01 XLT died I found my daughter a '00 5.0L RWD Mountaineer at a very good price, which needed a little work, but was also in very good condition and it has also turned out to be a very reliable vehicle. Then my eldest daughter needed a used vehicle and I found her a '00 Mountaineer 5.0L AWD and then I found my youngest daughter's boyfriend the '97 Sport. Maintaining a fleet of Explorers/Mountaineers makes life easier for me because once I learn how to repair something on one vehicle I know how to do the repair on the rest of them, plus I can swap parts to help diagnosis problems. I also find them easy to work on and most parts are cheap.

The only bad Explorer purchase I've made was my '01 Sport Trac, which took a ton of work to get back on the road and continues to break down regularly. At least I didn't pay much for it, but I starting to think by the time I get it completely restored I could have bought a better one and saved myself a lot of labor. Oh well, I knew it was a gamble when I bought it (non running, sight unseen).

Oh yeah, and this forum has been super helpful when I have questions.

To be fair, I ended up here after buying a 99 5.0 2WD last year with it's fair share of quirks, and fixing it up, and to be fair, I hated it when I bought it, but after driving it a bit, it was actually enjoyable, and it was totaled in June, so, had to figure out what to get, and decided on another Explorer, thus, finding my 01 Eddie Bauer 4.0 4WD for a tad more than $1K, and fixing it up. I've been hunting a good Eddie Bauer V8 body on the east US coast in the SC/NC/GA area to fix the V8 in the last little while, since the Eddie Bauer is an enjoyable vehicle, but isn't a V8, and I'd like a V8, plus fixing the other car is somewhat of a no-brainer since I know how to do the work. If anybody knows of a 99-01 body with a bad V8 motor/transmission in the places listed, PM me.

I find it to be quite reliable and reasonable to service. Sure I can get something newer but why replace something that meets all your needs? I came very close to getting a 2015 but it had a terrible smell (it is an issue on the forums). After that I just decided to keep mine, the dealer was actually interested in the trade because there were buyers who asked for loaded 90s Explorers in good condition.

After adding coilovers, ES sway bushings, A torsion bars and reflex in the front and some other small mods the handling became sportier and rivals some new SUVs. I do worry about the transmission though.

There are so many Members on this Forum who contribute time, ingenuity, craftsmanship, and strong mechanical skills to keep these trucks running. Why the extraordinary patience? Why the devotion to keeping these trucks running?

You 2nd gen guys with your youthful trucks. You guys don't need devotion, just a can of oil and a funnel, right?

I got into Ford's SUV's and trucks in my high school times (1988-1991 for me). Bronco II's, Rangers, and then in '91 when the Explorer came out, I thought, "Wow, there's an upgraded Bronco II, it has it all! 8.8, the 4.0, a little larger, but not as big as the full-size Bronco, etc. etc." -- unfortunately, I couldn't afford one at the time. By 1999, I was out in the real world, so I had money, and still *loved* the boxy 1st gen appearance, and had to have one before they disappeared or got ratty. I started looking for '94 models...Sports, with 4WD and preferably a manual T-case, the last year of the 1st gen, and I found one, with 70,000 miles. Unfortunately it had the electric t-case and auto hubs, but I bought it anyway, as it was local, and clean 1st gen Sports were getting less common.even at that time.

I found this forum when (I think) it was called 4x4 Central, or at least I think that's right.

I'm glad I still have the Explorer. It now has 183,000 miles and i've had it at 11,000 feet at Loveland Pass/U.S. 6 in the Rockies, snow swirling and zero visibility, to diamond hunting in arkansas clay pits, to the Appalachians, to Michigan's north woods, to the Gulf coast. Currently it's getting some love (new suspension). I don't drive it every day anymore, but I can if need be. I like fixing things, and making things work.

Easy to fix, has a lot of utility value, the styling ages well. Can't say the last bit about ANY vehicle produced in the 70s or 80s! :)

I was given mine from a family friend, it was sitting for 7 years,

Right away I rebuilt the engine from the heads up, lasted a good year then the transmission went, parents owed me 3k so I got it rebuilt, replaced more things I'm will to list, the local part source knows me by name lol, it's never let me down, i never drive it without beating the snot out of it, it loves to be driven hard, 3Ed gear shifts at 150kph and it lives it!

I'll never give up on it unless it can he replaced by something comparable..... 5.0 awd... can't beat that lol

And my dad is a NASCAR guy and he bleeds Ford blue baby!!, every penny spent gives a solid reliable vehicle in return, new cars are plastic garbage

Just need TMH so it doesn't drink so much! can I get a amen?!!

About a month ago I bought my explorer from a girl in college, 3rd owner but she got it from her cousin who's dad bought it from hertz in '01 so he knew the whole history. Picked it up for $600 because it had a groan at driving speed that they said two mechanics couldn't figure out. So I came here looking for diagnosis and determined it was a wheel bearing. So thanks to this place I spent 50$ and a couple hours to fix a problem that I'm guessing they decided cost too much because I can't believe 2 mechanics couldn't diagnose a wheel bearing. She's a weird one, 4.0 AWD which parts places say don't exist, but there's only 169,000 on the clock so with the minor repairs I'm in for currently (now a bad lower ball joint and I'm thinking I'll just replace the whole lower control arm both sides) I'm still less than a grand in it and it drives great. I plan to buy a new wrangler soon, but I'm not sure I'd give up the explorer, might keep it up for my son to have down the road or let my nephew have it for now since his mom took his car after their excursion rolled down a hill and totaled itself on a tree.
It's a great truck, I love driving it especially now that it's quiet. The wife likes it so much she's getting a '17 soon. Now if only I could fix the front bumper it'd be perfect.

About a month ago I bought my explorer from a girl in college, 3rd owner but she got it from her cousin who's dad bought it from hertz in '01 so he knew the whole history. Picked it up for $600 because it had a groan at driving speed that they said two mechanics couldn't figure out. So I came here looking for diagnosis and determined it was a wheel bearing. So thanks to this place I spent 50$ and a couple hours to fix a problem that I'm guessing they decided cost too much because I can't believe 2 mechanics couldn't diagnose a wheel bearing. She's a weird one, 4.0 AWD which parts places say don't exist, but there's only 169,000 on the clock so with the minor repairs I'm in for currently (now a bad lower ball joint and I'm thinking I'll just replace the whole lower control arm both sides) I'm still less than a grand in it and it drives great. I plan to buy a new wrangler soon, but I'm not sure I'd give up the explorer, might keep it up for my son to have down the road or let my nephew have it for now since his mom took his car after their excursion rolled down a hill and totaled itself on a tree.
It's a great truck, I love driving it especially now that it's quiet. The wife likes it so much she's getting a '17 soon. Now if only I could fix the front bumper it'd be perfect.

I think you'll find the upper ball joints are also worn out (I just went through this last week on my '01 ST). If you still have the OE upper control arms, you'll need to replace the upper control arms. I wouldn't replace the lower control arms unless you have to. Changing the lower ball joints is easy and cheap. I replaced my lower bj's and upper control arms with decent parts for about $100 + a wheel alignment.

I bought my forever truck, ordered in a 2007 ranger in the fall of 06 from the factory with everything I ever wanted. Great little truck other then the fact I go married in 09 and we had our first child in the spring of 2010. Needed something with a back seat as the jumpers wont cut it with a baby seat. Traded my truck with 50000 kms on it for my pile of garbage explorer with 120000 kms on it. Worst mistake of the last decade. Last Ford I will ever own.

These trucks definitely have a cult following with good reason.

First experience with an Ex was my brother's '93 Sport - the daily driver turned rock crawler. When it came time to look for my first car, I pretty much would have taken anything to get my ass on the road as a teenager, but an Ex was always a "want" due to my brother's obsession. Searched high and low for something after the mid-90's Sonoma that I originally was going to get was totaled (thanks bro! ;)) Ended up finding a 1997 5.0 AWD with around 180k. It had it's fair share of problems due to the lack of routine maintenance from its previous owners, but after help from my brother and father early on, that thing ran like a top and remained reliable.

My Ranger and the two Explorers I've had have proven (in most cases) that if you're good to your vehicle, it'll be good to you. In addition, the versatility and potential of these trucks is something that I think fuels our commitment.

I'll be honest, I'm just in love with my 1998 explorer sport because it's just a nice little SUV, it's got the 90s styling I love, it's 4 wheel drive so it can handle the roads and the snow where I live, and obviously it's my first car, I have to love it! I'm ignoring the timing chain rattle for now, it's not too loud and sometimes I can start the car, shut it off, and start it again and it's gone, so perhaps that will become my daily routine. It's got next to no rust and our family friend/mechanic says the bottom looks amazing, so I'll be visiting the carwash often to keep it nice and shiny!

I was wondering why everyone has chosen the Ford Explorer class? Why the interest? There must be a number of different reasons... Reliable? Value? Simplicity? Find one cheap? One reason for the selection of the Explorer might even be the existence of this Forum!

Myself: I was given my 1997 Explorer brand new as an extremely generous Christmas gift from my brother. I have kept the truck as a daily driver ever since, in no small part to honor that kindness. When I found this Forum ten years ago, my Ford had about 200,000 miles, and lots of deferred maintenance. The first project I did was to read up and figure out how to adjust my hood release so that I could get the hood open. Then, project after project, I caught up on maintenance, repairs, and minor modifications. Thanks to this Forum, my Truck is in much better mechanical condition now than it was 10 years ago. The Explorer seems very versatile: from use in Colorado mountains in Winter, to towing a boat to Lake Ontario in the Summer, to transporting my big German Shepards everywhere I travel, and daily driving in Florida Summers.

Let's hear your story....
My wife learned to drive on a 95 so naturally that's what she wanted
I paid $1200 for her 99. all I could afford lol
I figured that I would fix her up lol
I did spend time looking for a rust free truck
I bought it in 2013

I was a senior in college in 2007, and I was driving a 1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme with 42,000 original miles. God I wish I kept that car—they’re unobtanium now. Anyway, I was about to graduate and go into the Navy and I needed a more reliable vehicle so I bought my sister’s 98 Explorer. 77,000mi on it, but newer.

I drove that thing through my entire 11 year military career. All over the country. I’m at 325,000mi now.

It’s a great truck that is simple, cheap, inexpensive and easy to maintain and repair. Decent gas mileage, looks good, does everything I could ask for.

When it was time to buy a second car, I found a 99 5.0 Explorer that needed live. 119,000mi, $600. Snatched it up, put a couple grand of parts into it. I love that truck too. Needs some cosmetic work now.

They’re both so great…I will have them until the bodies rot off.

There are two reasons for me. First is I have been a Ford guy for most of my life so this is what got me into my first 1992 Explorer back in the mid 1990s. The second is I really came to appreciate the versatility and reliability of the 1st gen Explorers. I have owned two of them and drove my 1994 EB for over 200k miles with no major repairs. The two 3rd gens I owned were even more versatile having capacity for seven people and more creature comforts. The 4th gen I have now is more of an incremental upgrade from a versatility aspect but a major upgrade from a drive train aspect. I did see the 5th gens as a downgrade in many areas as compared to the 4th gens. Less rugged and off road capable. The transverse mounted engine was a big sticking point for me from a maintenance aspect as was the chain driven water pump. I am sure it is a great vehicle for many since it sold very well. I am not a big fan of the 6th gens either due to the small displacement turbocharged engines they use. So the 4th gen is probably the last "Explorer" I will own. If it gets replaced it will be with a Ford pickup.

I’m literally incapable of making sound financial decisions when it comes to buying vehicles. “Cool factor” is more important to me than buying something that doesn’t require 2 days worth of hard labor to repair…

I was really just tired of borrowing a vehicle(s) and came across something I could afford, which happened to be a v8 explorer, one of the last true explorers before they became too yuppified for me. I like old fords but really I like anything from the 1990s.

Explorers are really cheap and reliable pieces of **** tbh, 2nd gens are the pinnacle of what Ford used to be. It’s got some rust, like it took a salt bath, but it’s not too far gone yet, 193k on it. I’ll drive it for a year or two before I decide if I want to keep it or get rid of it.

Mine ant a pos

1633899835858.png

1633899929347.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Supercharged!!! Nice pride. And I know that every project on this truck was done right. Awesome.

p.s. Why would anyone keep and drive something they thought was a “pos”?

Back