WHY so loyal to Ford Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I was wondering why everyone has chosen the Ford Explorer class? Why the interest? There must be a number of different reasons... Reliable? Value? Simplicity? Find one cheap? One reason for the selection of the Explorer might even be the existence of this Forum!

Myself: I was given my 1997 Explorer brand new as an extremely generous Christmas gift from my brother. I have kept the truck as a daily driver ever since, in no small part to honor that kindness. When I found this Forum ten years ago, my Ford had about 200,000 miles, and lots of deferred maintenance. The first project I did was to read up and figure out how to adjust my hood release so that I could get the hood open. Then, project after project, I caught up on maintenance, repairs, and minor modifications. Thanks to this Forum, my Truck is in much better mechanical condition now than it was 10 years ago. The Explorer seems very versatile: from use in Colorado mountains in Winter, to towing a boat to Lake Ontario in the Summer, to transporting my big German Shepards everywhere I travel, and daily driving in Florida Summers.

There are so many Members on this Forum who contribute time, ingenuity, craftsmanship, and strong mechanical skills to keep these trucks running. Why the extraordinary patience? Why the devotion to keeping these trucks running?

Let's hear your story....
MD. "Inherited" 99 Ex XLT from wife's cousin, $1,000 donation.
Not sure which body of swamp this thing lived in, but I'm getting the "Rust Bucket" slowly together.
With the tips, and facts from the folks here, makes repairs more manageable. BTW....
Cleaning rust with wire brush today, sprung a leak in the oil pan...
Amazon seller has them $25.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was wondering why everyone has chosen the Ford Explorer class? Why the interest? There must be a number of different reasons... Reliable? Value? Simplicity? Find one cheap? One reason for the selection of the Explorer might even be the existence of this Forum!

Myself: I was given my 1997 Explorer brand new as an extremely generous Christmas gift from my brother. I have kept the truck as a daily driver ever since, in no small part to honor that kindness. When I found this Forum ten years ago, my Ford had about 200,000 miles, and lots of deferred maintenance. The first project I did was to read up and figure out how to adjust my hood release so that I could get the hood open. Then, project after project, I caught up on maintenance, repairs, and minor modifications. Thanks to this Forum, my Truck is in much better mechanical condition now than it was 10 years ago. The Explorer seems very versatile: from use in Colorado mountains in Winter, to towing a boat to Lake Ontario in the Summer, to transporting my big German Shepards everywhere I travel, and daily driving in Florida Summers.

There are so many Members on this Forum who contribute time, ingenuity, craftsmanship, and strong mechanical skills to keep these trucks running. Why the extraordinary patience? Why the devotion to keeping these trucks running?

Now that I've had the Green Machine for 7 months, a necessary buy for what $ I had, while prices were skyrocketing at the pandemic height,( and no wheels) the 'fixer upper' that impressed me with its 4x4, layout, and rather clean, minimal rust condition, has proved to be just what I wanted....A Ford or Mopar, high driver position, ability to haul lots of big stuff inside, and no unnecessary tech. Already liked the 90s style cars, for my first non-sedan vehicle. The possibility of DIY on the non-major fixes. And a bonus, THIS forum where kind experienced folks tell me HOW to get er done! If it dies before I quit driving, would definitely consider another, 2nd or (possibly) 4th gen Ex. I feel I'm definitely getting value for the money and effort! Kind of fell in love with it at first sight.

We have always had Fords, My first memories where of my old mans Bronco and Mustang, we used to cross the pond in the Bronco and the Mustang would make you cry from the jet fuel it ran on. Later on we built the 5.0 Ranger, and had quite a few rangers. Then we stumbled upon the 96 Explorer, it had the 5.0 and would be a good spare motor for the ranger. However after getting the Explorer going it was just to good to take apart so we fixed it up instead. After my old man had it for 8 years my family grew and my single cab B3000 wasnt going to cut it anymore. So i inherited i guess you could say the Explorer. My wife already had the Mounty so it was fitting. Plus i keep the Mazda as a work truck to keep nasty stuff out of the back of the Explorer. The Explorer is by far the safest go anywhere anytime vehicle i have owned. Since then the wife wants a 96 now and wants to sell the Mounty lol. All you out there have a good day and a good time in your rigs!

$1,200 for fixer upper but running overall well : Bullet proof engine with reasonably low miles for the year / rebuilt trans- previous owner / new AC system - previous owner / >> 4x4 << / Limited Slip rear end.
And she's American. :salute:

Well I don't know about the others but several months ago I had the opportunity to purchase a low mileage (130000) 2000 Mountaineer with the Monterey package (same as EB Explorer) along with the 5.0 and AWD from the second owner for $2700 and so far its been a blast to drive,has some odd and end issues to address but I love it 😃

This question is tough for me to answer because there's so many reasons!

Ultimately, it comes down to sentimentality for me. My dad had a '93 when I was a kid and I always thought it was an awesome vehicle. We took it on family vacations, hauled dirt bikes and loads of mulch, even used it as a farm truck towards the end of its life. My mom liked it so much that she got a '98 and my dad eventually replaced the '93 with a '97 which was the Explorer I learned to drive in. Needless to say, Explorers played a big role in my childhood.

As a teen, I became obsessed with the '97, spending hours detailing it every weekend and learning how to work on it. I had dreams of buying my own second gen and building it into a sleeper street truck -- which is what I'm slowly doing now with my '00. The '97 was my daily driver for many years and over the course of time I came to appreciate how easy the truck was to work on, how plentiful parts were in salvage yards (this is less true today), and I genuinely liked they way it looked and handled on the road.

Personally, I don't see what's not to love about any RWD-based vehicle that's available with two doors, three pedals, and eight cylinders (though sadly not all at once in the case of the Explorer). Sure, I'd have plenty of fun with a 90s muscle car or pickup, but they just wouldn't take me back to childhood in the way Explorers do.

Honestly, stubbornness. My '99 XLT, Deathrow, was my first truck, had her a bit over 2 years now. Over that time, it took a while, but I worked and worked to finally get that check engine off, but I did. She ain't given up on me yet and I don't plan on giving up on her. She gets me to and from, with zero issues; she also out performs what most people expect (me included) with that 4.0 to this day. Pretty sure, being the stubborn son of a gun I am, I'd refuse to give up on that dang truck even if the engine and tranny both blew! I'm holding on to her as long as I can, even with her mood swings of random crap going wrong that make me want to throw a wrench across the room! That truck, at this point means everything to me, it's more than I could've asked for and it's there when I need it. Still pretty sure this won't do her justice but hey, worth trying to show that trucks worth!

Well, I've been a Ford guy since I was 4 years old and realized how bad ass a 1970 fastback Mustang was. Not sure if it was a Boss or a Mach 1 but sounded NASTY and I was hooked. Fast forward 31 years and the wife had just graduated college (she started late...) and we got the '01 EB for her graduation present. Many reasons.
1) It's a Ford, and a Ford Truck at that. It will last forever.
2) Last year of the 302.
3) Screw Firestone and all that nonsense.
4) Full frame safety, AWD all weather do everything anywhere anytime etc. My wife was going to be driving it and I wanted to make sure she was in something that NO MATTER WHAT, she could go.
So, after 20+ years it has brought both of my kids home from the hospital, brought us to and from so many memorable adventures, been so reliable, and just been so...right...it's just part of the family.
It was my wife's college graduation present and my son drove off to college in it. Luckily he's only 90 minutes away and comes home almost every weekend. It feels so good when I pull in the yard on Friday night and see the Explorer there. And it warms my heart to hear that 302 with TM's rev up as he leaves again on Sunday.
He will need something else though....My daughter is in line in two years and she's been calling it her "Conslporer" since she could talk.

Then I get it back.

Well, I've been a Ford guy since I was 4 years old and realized how bad ass a 1970 fastback Mustang was. Not sure if it was a Boss or a Mach 1 but sounded NASTY and I was hooked.
My love affair with Mustangs started at seven years old riding in my brothers '68 S Code Mustang fastback. He factory ordered it while recuperating at Fort Knox from a shrapnel wound he got near the end of his tour in Vietnam. It was British racing green, had a four speed and sounded so good. It was a ringer for the Bullitt Mustang and was a screamer.

Back