$22,000 1994 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$22,000 1994 Explorer

Tons of them here in nc
Minty ones that is
Donalds, really, please send me a link. im looking for '91-94 4dr, 5sp. at least 3.73 or 4.10 limited slip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ugh it's cursed with 3.27 gears. Poor truck. But I'd have to keep that one all-original. It looks so nice.
Are the 3.27 gears problematic on these trucks?

No, it's just a very high ratio. The lower the number, the higher the gear. For high acceleration or crawling off road, you want a lower gear set, like 4.10 or 4.56. There is more mechanical advantage. 3.27 is fine for a vehicle that is used every day. On the highway, you would get better fuel mileage with 3.27s as the engine turns slower at the same road speed than the others.

Vehicles with high gears usually feel slow because they don't jump off the line, but they are capable of higher top speeds. I had a 94 mustang GT with 3.08 gears. The engine would turn about 4500 RPM around 130 MPH. If it had a 4.10, it would have probably been close to redline at the same speed or possibly less.

I had a b4000 with the 3.27s once. Had to put a reman 5 speed in and tried to tow a JD 568 round baler with the tc in high…. After that the trans would always whine in 1-3 and 5th. 3.27s suck.

Explorers are gonna be collectible soon but a clean explorer is not gonna be worth 22k for another 5+ years. Maybe if they restart cash-4-clunkers to destroy the rest. If you really want a clean one I’d keep cash around and be ready to jump before the price starts to skyrocket. Then again old explorers always have a plethora of little issues that need addressed and maybe that’s why they’re still cheap compared to Toyotas and the like.

I had a b4000 with the 3.27s once. Had to put a reman 5 speed in and tried to tow a JD 568 round baler with the tc in high…. After that the trans would always whine in 1-3 and 5th. 3.27s suck.

Explorers are gonna be collectible soon but a clean explorer is not gonna be worth 22k for another 5+ years. Maybe if they restart cash-4-clunkers to destroy the rest. If you really want a clean one I’d keep cash around and be ready to jump before the price starts to skyrocket. Then again old explorers always have a plethora of little issues that need addressed and maybe that’s why they’re still cheap compared to Toyotas and the like.
Thanks for the responses guys. Turns out the truck in the ad has 3.73s not 3.27 as advertised(axel code D4). I’m actually the buyer of the ‘94 Explorer this thread is referencing. I did not pay what they were asking, that said, I wanted a 1st Gen that I could make a garage queen/keeper and this truck was it.

Thanks for the responses guys. Turns out the truck in the ad has 3.73s not 3.27 as advertised(axel code D4). I’m actually the buyer of the ‘94 Explorer this thread is referencing. I did not pay what they were asking, that said, I wanted a 1st Gen that I could make a garage queen/keeper and this truck was it.
That's awesome! Welcome to the forum! Is this your first explorer? Or have you had them before?

That's awesome! Welcome to the forum! Is this your first explorer? Or have you had them before?
Thank you!

This will be the third 1st Gen. my first car was a ‘91 Eddie Bauer green on tan. Always had a soft spot for them

Thank you!

This will be the third 1st Gen. my first car was a ‘91 Eddie Bauer green on tan. Always had a soft spot for them
That's cool. I'm glad that one went to someone who would appreciate it for what it is and take care of it. It really is an automotive treasure and survivor vehicle.

Thank you!

I'm with 92exp4x4, I'm so glad it went to an explorer enthusiast. I was worried some old dude would buy it and he would pass it onto his kids that wouldn't want a 30 year old vehicle and that they would sell it to some Joe blow off the street and after joe blow would kill it, it would disappear in some pick a part junkyard.

No, it's just a very high ratio. The lower the number, the higher the gear. For high acceleration or crawling off road, you want a lower gear set, like 4.10 or 4.56. There is more mechanical advantage. 3.27 is fine for a vehicle that is used every day. On the highway, you would get better fuel mileage with 3.27s as the engine turns slower at the same road speed than the others.

Vehicles with high gears usually feel slow because they don't jump off the line, but they are capable of higher top speeds. I had a 94 mustang GT with 3.08 gears. The engine would turn about 4500 RPM around 130 MPH. If it had a 4.10, it would have probably been close to redline at the same speed or possibly less.
I have 4.10s - Not sure it is a good choice for these trucks, maybe if you stay under 55Mph. The good thing is I always drive the speed limit :lol:. 60 is 2K rpm in overdrive. These engines have no power after about 2500 RPM.
The advantage is 4x4 low gear feels like it could pull a house off its foundation. Also has great off the line acceleration for a low power engine. I had a chance to pull some huge logs a short distance - was effortless :lol:. I also have the CF trac lok, I'm sure that helped.

I have 4.10s - Not sure it is a good choice for these trucks, maybe if you stay under 55Mph. The good thing is I always drive the speed limit :lol:. 60 is 2K rpm in overdrive. These engines have no power after about 2500 RPM.
The advantage is 4x4 low gear feels like it could pull a house off its foundation. Also has great off the line acceleration for a low power engine. I had a chance to pull some huge logs a short distance - was effortless :lol:. I also have the CF trac lok, I'm sure that helped.
Yup, exactly how low gears are designed to be. Back then trucks and SUVs were still work machines. The Cologne V6 was designed to have high torque at low RPM to pull things, you add 4.10s and now you can move mountains!

Ah, you bought it! For less than 22k. Thought it would sell, to a buyer who wants a 'brand new' old truck! Not all the 'improvements' being introduced each and every year, are an improvement for the driver of said truck. Congrats, hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

As 92exp4x4 said...no, 3.27s aren't problematic in the mechanical sense (well, if you tow with a 3.27 auto truck it's hard on the tranny)

Best mod I made was going from 3.27 to 4.10 LS, but you're already set with 3.73's.

I'm glad to see you picked up this Explorer. Even happier to see it has 3.73's. It will be a nice one.

Back