Retired English teacher in over her head (1999 ford explorer limited) fuel pump | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Retired English teacher in over her head (1999 ford explorer limited) fuel pump

Strange... I just clicked on the link and got this:
**Information**:

-This is a brand new BOSCH Fuel pump

- Top Quality

- Sold in bulk without the Bosch Box

- Buyer will receive the fuel pump as pictured

-Comes with a 30 Day Warranty

-Direct replacement

-If for some reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, contact us and we will do the best we can to make up for it! We have thousands of positive feedback and are a well trusted company

-We have super-fast shipping
Oh, I just looked again and saw the Airtex stuff...

Not too concerned. It comes with a 30-day warranty. If it's not Bosch, I'll send it back. In the meantime, I am going to contact the seller and see what he or she has to say!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Strange... I just clicked on the link and got this:
**Information**:

-This is a brand new BOSCH Fuel pump

- Top Quality

- Sold in bulk without the Bosch Box

- Buyer will receive the fuel pump as pictured

-Comes with a 30 Day Warranty

-Direct replacement

-If for some reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, contact us and we will do the best we can to make up for it! We have thousands of positive feedback and are a well trusted company

-We have super-fast shipping
Does not sound right!!

If it’s sold without the Bosch box, it’s counterfeit. It’ll have a fake Bosch logo most likely. Or it’s a return. There’s not any good reason it’d not have the box.

Here is the wrong Bosch 69131 fuel pump I bought for my 96, and the Bosch 68015 filter, just you have something to compare the eBay ones to when you get them. My fuel pump is not the same model, so numbers will not match.

D3E75F35-C626-4434-8734-B3A6E3AA2183.jpeg B7EE2445-439B-492F-AA11-6FDC169202F7.jpeg

Attachments

• D3E75F35-C626-4434-8734-B3A6E3AA2183.jpeg
    D3E75F35-C626-4434-8734-B3A6E3AA2183.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 49

Does not sound right!!
Message from seller:

Hello.
You will receive Bosch fuel pump , we are using Airtex catalog for application only.
Thank you.

Well, between the seller's clarification AND the 30-day warranty AND (I wasn't going to admit I fell for this 'cause I usually know better.) the two-year extended warranty I purchased, I think I'm covered.

You will receive Bosch fuel pump But then, there's that Russian syntax...

New pump mostly installed, a couple of details outstanding:

• Can I use my existing adapter harness? The new one fits only on one end.
adaptor.jpg

• Retaining washer for securing the strainer-- Not having any luck pushing it in place with needlenose pliers. Can anyone suggest a better tool or method?
  • IMG_4264 (2).JPG
  • Wondering how tight is tight enough on the pressure hose clamps?

• Any second thoughts on the wiring? (See above for pics)

• Marked where the assembly was on the fuel tank, but I must have spilled some gasoline pulling the pump out of the tank-- one of my marks has disappeared. What to do?

• Kit included some flimsy tank seals…. Existing one (second below) looks ok. Can I reuse?
  • IMG_4268.JPG
    IMG_4271.JPG
Can anyone recommend a cheap (but good!) multimeter?

After that , I’m sure I’ll have questions about the next steps:

1. Covering the panel-- 1/8" sheet metal? What brand gasket sealant? Self-tapping or self-drilling sheet metal screws? Safe length of screws?

2. Anything else to be done before trying to start the truck-- New fuse? New relay? I’ll leave the fuel filter to Jiffy Lube (or "Jiffy Lou," as my sainted mother used to say); I think I’ve had enough.

3. Is anything going to explode?

If the harness fits between the pump and wiring, go ahead and use it.

If the factory gasket isn’t cracked and looks better, I’d reuse it.

For the retainer do you have an open end wrench that will fit over it fairly snug? Use that up against it, and tap the wrench with something.

The assembly will only go in one way. It’ll probably be obvious when you start. I believe there is a “well” area in the tank it fits into, but it’s been ages since I peered into one of these tanks.

1/8th sheet will be fine. Rivets or screws. If self tappers get just long enough to get both pieces of metal, probably the shortest they have.

Any automotive sealant should be fine. RTV is always a safe bet.

Decent budget meter.

Another decent cheaper option.

You’re not gonna blow up. Take your time, and plan the work, work your plan. If you get hung up, I’m sure there’s a dozen people who can help you.

If the harness fits between the pump and wiring, go ahead and use it.

If the factory gasket isn’t cracked and looks better, I’d reuse it.

For the retainer do you have an open end wrench that will fit over it fairly snug? Use that up against it, and tap the wrench with something.

The assembly will only go in one way. It’ll probably be obvious when you start. I believe there is a “well” area in the tank it fits into, but it’s been ages since I peered into one of these tanks.

1/8th sheet will be fine. Rivets or screws. If self tappers get just long enough to get both pieces of metal, probably the shortest they have.

Any automotive sealant should be fine. RTV is always a safe bet.

Decent budget meter.
Thanks for that fast response! Now I have no excuse to put this off until tomorrow.

I’m sure I could come up with one of those.

"Retaining washer for securing the strainer-- Not having any luck pushing it in place with needlenose pliers. Can anyone suggest a better tool or method?"
Place a large socket upright on ground (around same diameter of ring area to support retaining washer) ...place strainer and washer in place/line up on socket....and push down/smack assembly down on socket.

IMG_4264 (2).JPG
Diabolical invention! No room for pliers. Small enough to conceal itself behind a lentil, so thin I don't dare breathe, so flexible it ricochets across the room at the slightest provocation! It's come to this: I'm down on all fours, sweeping the kitchen floor with an earth magnet! Then I remember these from my camping days:
grommet tool.jpg

Meanwhile... the day has come and gone., so it's tomorrow after all...

"Retaining washer for securing the strainer-- Not having any luck pushing it in place with needlenose pliers. Can anyone suggest a better tool or method?"
Place a large socket upright on ground (around same diameter of ring area to support retaining washer) ...place strainer and washer in place/line up on socket....and push down/smack assembly down on socket.
Thanks, but the space is too tight for a socket.

Looks like 1 goes to 3 and 2 goes to 4
Yellow is ground and b is the only one left should be easy to find
So it’s down to the wires… I think the pictures I posted before were confusing. I cleaned them up a little and am reposting.
  • There are only 3 wires to sort out: one black, one blue, one white.
  • The blue and white wires are part of the bunch that come down through the top of the assembly. (first photo)
  • One end of the short black wire is attached to the fuel gauge sending unit. (second photo)
IMG_4274.png
IMG_4273 (2).png

Yeah... I'm looking at these photos now & wondering how they are any clearer than the previous ones... Anyhow, let's pretend...

The second photo shows where I think (after looking at some internet pictures) all three wires should hook up.

--White wire under the screw top left?
--Blue wire slips onto metal doodad mid left?
--Black wire travels a short distance to the metal doodad mid right?

What do you think?

White to ground screw looks good. You have two connections, and two wires remaining. I do not know which wire goes to which connection. Sometimes the length/reach of the wires helps as an indicator. Sometimes the connections/connectors are slightly different such that they are not interchangeable. Sometimes it does not make a difference, but sometimes it does. Did the ever-helpful Donalds provide the answer to this question already in previous Post #91? @donalds

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best I can do

IMG_20211028_185001.jpg IMG_20211028_185045.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211028_185001.jpg
    IMG_20211028_185001.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 48

Back