What is everyone doing for rack and pinion, 1995 explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is everyone doing for rack and pinion, 1995 explorer xlt

Post number 14 has been selected as best answered.

Pete Deering

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 xlt 4 door 4x4
What is everyone doing for rack and pinion? I have a 1995 explorer xlt4 door. Do maintenance item today a inspected the boot on tie rod, and there is fluid inside. This my third replacement. Replaced it 3 years ago or 3k mile ago and its leaking ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the remanned units aren’t that good.

I did Motorcraft on my ‘99 5.0. No regrets.

RockAuto. That was back in early 2020 though, and it looks like they no longer carry it.

I wanted to get one to have on hand for my ‘98, damn.

@Pete Deering

Aftermarket R&P's are really bad...

Put the time in to find a Motorcraft or FORD remanufactured R&P.

Here's three part #'s of your R&P from Rock Auto.

Google each of them, you might find one sitting on a dealership parts shelf.

Motorcraft Rebuilt STG29RM

Ford Rebuilt F57C3504GDRM

Ford Rebuilt F57Z3504GERM

The last one listed looked promising on my Google Search

LINK 1: 1995-2001 Ford Steering Gear F57Z-3504-GERM | QuirkParts

Link 2: F57Z-3504-GERM - Steering Gear - 1995-2001 Ford | Lasco Auto Parts

Link 3: Ford Explorer Gear assembly - steering. Rack and pinion assembly. Steering gear - F57Z3504GERM | Koeppel Ford, Queens NY

Hope that helps - report back!

I had a carquest unit that lasted 10 years no issue, but that was almost 20 years ago now no telling if they are still good quality. I am sure caarquest gets its remans from the same source as every other parts place? I dunno

What is everyone doing for rack and pinion? I have a 1995 explorer xlt4 door. Do maintenance item today a inspected the boot on tie rod, and there is fluid inside. This my third replacement. Replaced it 3 years ago or 3k mile ago and its leaking ago.
Do I have to get a wheel alignment, if I reinstall the old tie rod and ends ( as a assembly) on the new rack?

not if:
you keep them the new exact same length from ball joint stud to inner tie rod end stud
truck was aligned previously

I would still do a simple toe adjustment with a tape measure and to make sure the steering wheel is centered

I replaced my '97 Mountaineer with one from Napa a little over a year ago (<10K Miles). So far so good.

I replaced my '97 Mountaineer with one from Napa a little over a year ago (<10K Miles). So far so good.
Is it a new unit or a reman?

I would try lucas PS stop leak. Start with 1/4 bottle and go up from there.

Sometimes the rubber gets a bit tired. I would certainly try that before an aftermarket (non-Ford) reman.

@Pete Deering

Just sayin' :)

2nd Gens are now 26 years old -

Rebuilding of R&P's, Starters, Alternators went from being done in the Michigan peninsula area to Mexico a loooong time ago, and subsequently the quality or these rebuilt parts went straight downhill.

Your best bet for overall quality is putting in the "footwork" and looking for a FORD or MOTORCRAFT rebuilt unit that's gathering dust on a shelf.

Get on Google such as I did in Post #5 and "plug in" the three main parts numbers and see where you wind up.

BIG POINT: The ads are only as good as the webmasters and their upkeep of what's available and what's been sold.

So I highly suggest (so as to not waste time) that if you think you've found something that you then follow up with vendors via the phone; noting who you are talking to, confirming that they actually have it on the shelf, and that it actually is what is advertised.

If you simply choose to "buy" without doing the before mentioned, you might wait for days and then out of the blue you get an e-mail confirmation saying the item you chose is OUT OF STOCK... Been there, done that, back to square one, valuable time wasted ;)

Yes- this won't be quick or easy.

With all that said, there are two NEW UNITS advertised on Rock Auto n one for $235 and the other for $380 (and then subtract a 5% off RA coupon).

The new one on Rock Auto for $380 is sold by Edelmann - and from what I know of them they are known Tier 1 (OEM) USA manufacturer of P/S Hoses for heavy trucks & construction equipment.

I don't imagine that they'd put their name on crap - but we are in different times/reverse world...

I don't know where Eldemann manufactures their new R&P's - but you can contact them and get back to us with the answer ;)

Plews & Edelmann

1550 Franklin Grove Road

Dixon, IL 61021

Phone: 800-770-4639

LINK:
Homepage | Plews-Edelmann

Back