How reliable is the starter and alternator on 1996 stock Explorers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How reliable is the starter and alternator on 1996 stock Explorers?

98FordLove

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 4.0L OHV
Anyone still on the stock starter and alternator? Surprisingly I am. I'm at 210,000km now and just wondering how long these usually last on these trucks? Am I one of the few ones who has gone this long without having to replace either ? *knock on wood(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98, but mine lasted 320k and the starter still worked fine, and so did the alt, but i replaced em out of precaution. imo, they are very reliable, and had 0 issues!

Nearly indefinite life, depending on conditions the vehicle is driven in, connection quality, and whether or not the vehicle has ever seen a "no-start" condition where the starter was abused and got hot.

98, but mine lasted 320k and the starter still worked fine, and so did the alt, but i replaced em out of precaution. imo, they are very reliable, and had 0 issues!
320k miles and not km? I'm impressed. Would you say it's a good idea to change the alternator and starter as a cautionary if it's old? Mine is still stock. I put in a new battery last winter, beefed it up to a bigger 1100cca one.

Did you go OEM or aftermarket?

Nearly indefinite life, depending on conditions the vehicle is driven in, connection quality, and whether or not the vehicle has ever seen a "no-start" condition where the starter was abused and got hot.
Never been abused but it's driven in Canadian winters.

320k miles and not km? I'm impressed. Would you say it's a good idea to change the alternator and starter as a cautionary if it's old? Mine is still stock. I put in a new battery last winter, beefed it up to a bigger 1100cca one.

yes sir!!! 320k miles!!! dunno! i chanegd it out of precaution, as 24 years and 320k is a long run. eplaced the alt when i was doing other stuff that involved removing it! which battery was it? was it the fullriver or whateevr its called one? went w a remy starter and ill check on the brand of alt ;)

I've got 150K miles on both the alternator and starter and haven't had any issues. If you are looking for something to fail I'd bet of the fuel pump first.

I am the original owner and have a 99 5.0 AWD with 251K miles. The starter is original. I have had to replace the alternator twice.

yes sir!!! 320k miles!!! dunno! i chanegd it out of precaution, as 24 years and 320k is a long run. eplaced the alt when i was doing other stuff that involved removing it! which battery was it? was it the fullriver or whateevr its called one? went w a remy starter and ill check on the brand of alt ;)
Did you go OEM for the parts? I'm impressed 320k wow.

I got an interstate battery, it had double the CCA as stock. I benefit from it in Canadian winters. I also plug in when super cold but the bigger battery helps too.

I've got 150K miles on both the alternator and starter and haven't had any issues. If you are looking for something to fail I'd bet of the fuel pump first.
Oh I see. What causes the fuel pump to fail? Hope it's not a big expensive repair? I'm looking up the signs of a fuel pump going bad.

Did you go OEM for the parts? I'm impressed 320k wow.
now i run a remy alt and starter! ill admit, they stil had life in em!!! neither of them had any percievable issues, and it started everytime and the alt was fine, charged as it should, so i wouldnt hesitate to put em back in if one of these new ones dropped. as of now they are my spares ;)

Oh I see. What causes the fuel pump to fail? Hope it's not a big expensive repair? I'm looking up the signs of a fuel pump going bad.
usually heat, particulates in fuel, that kinda stuff. keep the fuel above qtr tank in general, keep the pump from sucking up dry, and eventually it will start to go bad from use. normally the symptoms are like longer than usual hot starts, sometimes it quits running when hot etc. surprisinngly, mine mae it 200k before i replaced it out of precaution, as i take this thing offroad so i count on reliability! imo, even tho its a sohc, ive had amazing reliability, probably th ebest of the others. still on the original engine and tranny at 330k now, and was on the original timing components till about a year back so 320k, and even then i only did the front primary and hydraulic, so the valve cover and rear chain is all OE! and the 5r has only required fluid changes, nothing else, and still no percievable issues, only now am i noticing some ticking, butnothng to complain bout, 24 years and 330k is a great run either way!!! i have had no issues that arent just minor (like radio display) or not my fault, such as box bursting the rad on the highway. the only thing was the rear axle seals leaking, but that was quick to do. whoops, got real off topic there!

It's 26 years old, things Just Wear Out, eventually.

I'm still on my original fuel pump and starter on my '98, but it only has ~110K miles. I mostly short trip it so that low mileage isn't saving the starter any, but it is less wear on the fuel pump. Practically speaking, this means I consider the range on my '98 to be around 50 miles because I don't want to have to pay for a tow further than that... at least not chance it when I have newer vehicles. I could preemptively replace several things, and would if it were my only vehicle, daily driver to work, but at this point my primary interest is in lowest cost to keep it running, and safe.

Ask yourself what cost/liability there is going to be if you get stranded, where and for how long. Years ago, I had a fair amount of confidence that if I had a starter fail on an old car, I could just pick up a starter at Autozone and install it on the spot wherever the vehicle was parked, but as vehicle clearances became smaller and smaller, now I'd want it at home with a full array of tools and lighting to replace the starter.

Half the cost of a fuel pump repair is the hour+ labor to drop the tank, then with a vehicle this age, it's prudent to replace the sending unit while you're at it. If you are at the mercy of a shop charging you full retail for these parts, especially a stealership insisting on Motorcraft parts, it will probably cost another $200 more for the parts on top of the labor charge, compared to DIY with major brand parts off Rock Auto or Amazon, etc.

Then there is the issue of fuel line rust. On a vehicle this old, particularly if your roads are salted in winter, disturbing the fuel lines may break them. YMMV. Being a '96 with lower fuel rail pressure, there's more margin for a hack job to DIY hose the fuel lines but I don't want to encourage anything you're not sure about already. I mean fuel just needs to get from point A to B, not necessarily be Ford factory at this point. Some may disagree and I'm fine with that.

1995 Explorer Sport with 200K+ miles. Sorry, odometer is broke (worm gear) and I have not replaced. Original starter and alternator. No signs of any issues or problems.

Not changing the fuel filter and age/general wear & tear.
I would add in running the tank to empty or under a 1/4 tank often. This allows the pump to run hotter causing more stress on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see replacement alternators on a regular basis on vehicles at the local U Pull. Of course, most of those vehicles have over 200K miles on them. I've owned four 1st/2nd Explorers and have only replaced a starter on one...and, that was precautionary ahead of a trip to Alaska.

Back