• Register Today It's free!

Is there 4 low in 2022 Explorer?

jan444

Reaction score
City, State
Herndon va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer Limited
We are close to making the purchase but are unsure if the vehicle has 4 low. We need it sometimes driving in soft sand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There’s no low range. The explorer is more focused on driving on pavement, so you will be disappointed if you want a part time 4wd truck. Look at the timberline trim since it comes with a torsen limited slip.

awd, not 4wd. however, for sand iirc there was a sand mode, which could be fine, but indeed do look into timberline. howveer, i think the normal should be alright, just know that it doesnt have torsen LS or 4lo. in sand, ive never used lo yet. instead, imo look into those traction baord things, those came in handy!

the only midsized suv you get with 4 low now is the 4 runner or new bronco and its not the most roomy thing. there is a a 4 low type setting a durango but idk if its truly a low ranger or computer mimic type deal. so if you need a 3 row suv you either get a fullsize or live without it.

the only midsized suv you get with 4 low now is the 4 runner or new bronco and its not the most roomy thing. there is a a 4 low type setting a durango but idk if its truly a low ranger or computer mimic type deal. so if you need a 3 row suv you either get a fullsize or live without it.
The Explorer is actually categorized as a 'mid'-size SUV. ;)

Peter

Right I never understood that the 4 Runner looks big but is a compact on the inside -- small room or it doesn't take advantage of its space.

The Explorer is actually categorized as a 'mid'-size SUV. ;)

Peter
To me the funny thing is this is the same size as the 90's boxy F-150s and Broncos.

To me the funny thing is this is the same size as the 90's boxy F-150s and Broncos.

its actually bigger than my 90 bronco longer anyway. its fairly short even though its based on a f150. i would say even a first gen 4 door explorer was as long.

so a little google action. the broncos where a 180. inches a first gen explorer was a 184. new one is a 198.8 and another fun fact the 02 tahoe was the same length as this explorer. so most mid sized suvs are as big as a fullsize was 20 years ago. however you prob still had more interior room in the tahoe due to your seating positions and roof height.

The Expedition would be Ford's 'large-sized SUV with the Escape being the small one.

Peter

The Expedition would be Ford's 'large-sized SUV with the Escape being the small one.

Peter
you also have the edge for someone that needs more room than a escape but doesnt need 3 rows.

edge is more expensive base price than a explorer so idk why anyone would go for one.
The Edge and Nautilus will be no more after the 2023 model year. At least not in their current form.

Peter

The Edge and Nautilus will be no more after the 2023 model year. At least not in their current form.

Peter
it seems like a waste really. its not much bigger than a escape but cost as much as a explorer. so idk what need it serves. i guess it competes with chevys blazer in size. but you have the bronco sport as well and the bronco. so really who is buying it when you have those options.

I take my 22 limited in the sand on a constant basis, drives over dunes and everything. Biggest issue is ground clearance not the 4wd/awd. Drop tire psi to 12-15 pounds and roll. I did buy a lift for mine but have yet to install it
20210529_112527.jpg

very nice but wow -- 12 PSI - sounds like you know what you are doing but FYI to others ... that's low enough to possibly come off the bead/allow sand to get wedged in the bead and introduce a slow leak.

15 is probably a safer bet. I keep an air pump in the car and go back to normal pressure once I am off. Couple side notes - recovery boards fit in the third row storage perfectly. Don't open the sun roof, the front tires can throw a lot of sand and it's a pita to get it all out.
20220513_154528.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back