1995 Explorer XLT Instrument cluster malfunction | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer XLT Instrument cluster malfunction

Vallince

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Wales
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT
As the Title says I inherited my moms old explorer that we used to take road trips in when I was a kid. I am in the process of restoring it. Although that might be an overstatement as she runs just fine and everything on it is still original. But time has gotten a lot of the electrical components. the most recent thing that happened to me with her was my speedometer going out. As I was driving it, I started to smell a strong Electronic burning smell in the cab and noticed white smoke coming from my instrument panel. Like anyone I pulled over, fearing the worst that she was gonna burst into flames or something. Had her towed to a shop and they found a few fuses that blew and they were replaced. However my Speedometer hasn't come back so I have to use an app on my phone. Any wise Explorer users wanna impart some wisdom to me as to what happened that day? Is there a serious Electrical issue going on? was it my speedometer giving up the ghost that caused that malfunction, burning and blowing of my fuses? I also noticed a few other of my gauges arn't working properly either. like my oil pressure gauge and coolant temp gauge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe something shorted to ground so it gave up the ghost from overheating? not too sure, could explain the blown fuse too i think? i'd say try putting a new fuse in to see if that solves the issue, but then again if something shorted i wouldnt... or soemthig couldve drawn too much? thatll blow the fuses

Pull the cluster and have a look

maybe something shorted to ground so it gave up the ghost from overheating? not too sure, could explain the blown fuse too i think? i'd say try putting a new fuse in to see if that solves the issue, but then again if something shorted i wouldnt... or soemthig couldve drawn too much? thatll blow the fuses
Thanks for the reply. I do notice the instrument panel gets quite warm when the cars running. Idk if that's normal or not. I know it gets warm at night since I still use the incandescent dash lights in it but even when I'm driving in day light the panel gets very warm. Something may have overheated but if that's the case I wouldn't know where to even begin diagnosing the cause. Same if something shorted with the ground.

Pull the cluster and have a look
Trust me i want to but i dont have the tools to do it myself so i might have to take it into a ship and have them examine it.

Thanks for the reply. I do notice the instrument panel gets quite warm when the cars running. Idk if that's normal or not. I know it gets warm at night since I still use the incandescent dash lights in it but even when I'm driving in day light the panel gets very warm. Something may have overheated but if that's the case I wouldn't know where to even begin diagnosing the cause. Same if something shorted with the ground.
mine gets warm in sun and at night; speedo and odo stop working when it s hot... simply just close and ac vent and crank it up and for some reason that works!

I think you only need a philips screwdriver...from what I recall >>>
On accessing, this is from Rangerstation....same setup on our Explorers..... it's how to access odometer gear for replacement.... same area.
A tip, when putting/guiding cluster assembly back in place, tilt top portion in first.

You need a 7mm and a 8mm to get the dash apart and access instrument cluster

What year is this explorer? I do not see any pics?

You need a 7mm and a 8mm to get the dash apart and access instrument cluster

What year is this explorer? I do not see any pics?
Oh it's a 95 xlt I think the first year of the 2nd gens

I think you only need a philips screwdriver...from what I recall >>>
On accessing, this is from Rangerstation....same setup on our Explorers..... it's how to access odometer gear for replacement.... same area.
A tip, when putting/guiding cluster assembly back in place, tilt top portion in first.
Thanks ill see what i can do and follow some video guides to get it out of there. im at work right now so ill have to do it when i get a day off.

Oh it's a 95 xlt I think the first year of the 2nd gens
Im not sure how to get a picture of it in here as i am still new to doing these forums. i do know i got a picture of it as my cover for my profile if u wanna look at it there. but idk how to get it as my actual profile picture

Im not sure how to get a picture of it in here as i am still new to doing these forums
Drag and drop
Copy paste
Or the attach files button

95 is an odd duck
It is the first year of the gen ii explorer yes
It only came with 4.0 ohv and 4r55e auto transmission
The computer and controls are a one year thing, there are a few other areas that are only 95 also, they changed many things in 96

The 95s are very tough
I know of some pushing 500k miles and still passing emissions

However the instrument cluster is the same as other years, very straight forward to remove. The hardest part to defeat is the shift indicator cable

Drag and drop
Copy paste
Or the attach files button

20220226_154658.jpg

The 95s are very tough
I know of some pushing 500k miles and still passing emissions

However the instrument cluster is the same as other years, very straight forward to remove. The hardest part to defeat is the shift indicator cable
dang!!! puts my 320-340k (not too sure, odo stops working when its hot out...) to shame!!! how bout the trannies? i know the ohv+manual just doesnt die, ever, but how bout the trans? ive heard im lucky to be at 320 on the original trans... and from data here, it appears so!!! surprisied i havent blown a Vb gasket yet... knock on wood

As the Title says I inherited my moms old explorer that we used to take road trips in when I was a kid. I am in the process of restoring it. Although that might be an overstatement as she runs just fine and everything on it is still original. But time has gotten a lot of the electrical components. the most recent thing that happened to me with her was my speedometer going out. As I was driving it, I started to smell a strong Electronic burning smell in the cab and noticed white smoke coming from my instrument panel. Like anyone I pulled over, fearing the worst that she was gonna burst into flames or something. Had her towed to a shop and they found a few fuses that blew and they were replaced. However my Speedometer hasn't come back so I have to use an app on my phone. Any wise Explorer users wanna impart some wisdom to me as to what happened that day? Is there a serious Electrical issue going on? was it my speedometer giving up the ghost that caused that malfunction, burning and blowing of my fuses? I also noticed a few other of my gauges arn't working properly either. like my oil pressure gauge and coolant temp gauge.
Not Explorer, but here's my speedo story: Wife's 98 Camry, cluster started freaking out when parked in the sun on 100 degree days. Running AC thru dash vents fixed it, temporarily. Found a discussion that said it was an oscillator, a little blue component that looks like a squashed pea. Replaced it for 37 cents and some solder. To keep the car running while I fixed it, I bought a used cluster on Ebay to install temporarily.

There are also shops that will repair your cluster and send it back. That way you will keep your old odometer mileage, since it lives in the speedo.

If it's just the speedo: (they don't seem to work on '95 clusters, but you could ask)

Speedo plus other issues:

Atlanta Speedometer has a good reputation.

Another:

Best of luck

-PB

dang!!! puts my 320-340k (not too sure, odo stops working when its hot out...) to shame!!! how bout the trannies? i know the ohv+manual just doesnt die, ever, but how bout the trans? ive heard im lucky to be at 320 on the original trans... and from data here, it appears so!!! surprisied i havent blown a Vb gasket yet... knockmine
mines got 180ish thousand miles on it. still runs very good. just a lot of the electrical components have gone out

Not Explorer, but here's my speedo story: Wife's 98 Camry, cluster started freaking out when parked in the sun on 100 degree days. Running AC thru dash vents fixed it, temporarily. Found a discussion that said it was an oscillator, a little blue component that looks like a squashed pea. Replaced it for 37 cents and some solder. To keep the car running while I fixed it, I bought a used cluster on Ebay to install temporarily.

There are also shops that will repair your cluster and send it back. That way you will keep your old odometer mileage, since it lives in the speedo.

If it's just the speedo: (they don't seem to work on '95 clusters, but you could ask)

Another:

Best of luck

-PB
well my odometer went out at 124k miles but when i asked the shop how many miles it really has, they said the onboard computer said it was roughly around 180k ish miles so far. i got a rebuilt cluster panel because a friend said if it burned up and some of the other gauges arnt working either to justt replace the whole cluster

Another:

Best of luck

-PB
Update, i went ahead and replaced the whole cluster today. all the gauges work but the abs light is on and i know there is nothing wrong with the abs system. is this what u meant by the cluster needing to be programed/ coded? if so can the new one be coded or is it something i will have to live with until i get the OG one fixed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They lied to you the 95 computer has absolutely no idea how
Many miles You have traveled there is no internal odometer in memory

Did the cluster come from the same exact year? It is possible the abs light is on because cluster came from a slightly different model? Compare the bulb location to your old cluster

Otherwise you should check the abs system for a trouble code

Back