• Register Today It's free!

Better cupholders?

Southpaw357

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
Whats up guys, i bought an emerald green 1994 XLT with 61,000 miles on it to daily drive. She’s in great shape and I love the 90’s vibes. Gave her an alpine and 2 JL 12’s in the back. Reminds me of high school. Question: the cup holders arent good for much except 12 oz cans. Does anyone make something that sits on the carpeted area in front of the cupholders that contains some extra storage and better cupholders? -Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to EF!!! as someone who likes 36 oz water bottle, i can say that i need more space. iirc there were cupholer inserts that looked like oil filter removla tool to fit a larger one... however, dont like how its kinda high COG for the bottle, and it can slip out. is there a "makerspace" by you? if so, maybe you can try using the 3d printer to make a set of holders that can be bolted to something thats exactly the size you need... and maybe you could run a line o' em! hmm... maybe i should try that! 🤣 new summer project... see if i can make a line of cupholders... seems pointless, but i can see it now!!! going to see maybe if i can make my own once my summer starts... what size you lookin for?

If you pull the front of a console of a newer 2nd gen explorer, the cupholder section will snap right in to a older console. One of the spots is bigger.

Be glad your not in a '91. They only had One cup holder. ☹️

If you pull the front of a console of a newer 2nd gen explorer, the cupholder section will snap right in to a older console. One of the spots is bigger.
Depending on when his 94 was manufatured, he might already have the 2nd gen holders. My 94 was manufactured in october '94, and it came with the 2nd gen holder, also 2nd gen rear interior panels.

You can also grab the cupholder "top" off the older Rangers (2011 and earlier) from the local junkyard and those will snap into the console section of your '94. Ranger style has one cup larger than the other, and a bit deeper.

Cup Holder (APR 22).jpg

(From my Ranger)

Paul

That's a good idea, I didn't know that any later console parts might swap. I still have my 93 Limited console, though I sold the arm rest long ago. I think those were a little better, just slightly different.

I think the '01 Sports have the goofy flip drink holder. Not sure if it swaps over, but probably.

I can't tell you how many time's I've completely spilled my entire drink all over my carpet because I braked just a little too hard. Those cupholders were absolute trash.

Came back to comment that yesterday someone pulled out in front of me, and I had to press on my brakes slightly harder than normal, and my Taco Bell Baja Blast went absolutely flying into my ashtray and busted open all over my carpet. The engineers behind these cup holders can SMD

Came back to comment that yesterday someone pulled out in front of me, and I had to press on my brakes slightly harder than normal, and my Taco Bell Baja Blast went absolutely flying into my ashtray and busted open all over my carpet. The engineers behind these cup holders can SMD
dang really?! the dew is good, sad to hear! :( and on a sunday too? did ya miss the gym, cause then i can see fate making it so you cant drink the blast till after the gym ;)

Back