OHV Top End Refresh. 410 Cam? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OHV Top End Refresh. 410 Cam?

171_262012_440000000.jpg

IMG_7554.jpg

IMG_7562.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those look pretty nice. Alot more ventilation than I have ever seen on an XJ, but I guess they're aftermarket of course.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it but I have a Metal 5.0 fan. It will not fit on to the 4.0 fan clutch so I might order a 5.0 clutch and see if it fits onto the 4.0 water pump.

idk if it will fit, as the WPs are different iirc, but let us know!

It will not fit the 5.0 threads are completely different

The Hayden 2841 I bought seems to thread on perfectly and has the proper bolt pattern for the fan. I only threaded it on and right back off so I'll have try again and see if it's loose or properly tight.

Edit.
It threads on tight to the water pump shaft. But I think the concern now would be fan clearance. As the 5.0 clutch has 17mm of clearance between the pulley mounting surface and the fam mounting surface. While the 4.0 clutch has about 33-34mm. Meaning the fan will be 16-17mm closer to the accessories and further from the radiator. I'll be tearing into the engine soon I believe so I'll hold onto the clutch until then and check clearances. I remember reading somewhere that someone had swapped a 5.0 fan on but can't remember how, they had reported only an 1/8 inch clearance to the accessories.

I like those specs on that cam

I definitely like the specs from what I can understand of them. I think the .450 lift will be more friendly to new stock springs since I didn't go to the dual springs. But the main selling point I could think of to people looking to cam their OHVs now a days would be that Delta had the cam core on hand, had good customer service, got it to me in a little over a week from order to arrival, and at less than half the price of the Comp Cams.

If you wanted more lift you could change the rockers

Yeah, Tom has his 1.6 1.7 and 1.8 ratio rockers I think? Maybe in the future. Honestly after this refresh I think the next thing is to address my power steering leak and then maybe exhaust or gearing up to 4.56 / 4.88s.

Yeah, Tom has his 1.6 1.7 and 1.8 ratio rockers I think? Maybe in the future. Honestly after this refresh I think the next thing is to address my power steering leak and then maybe exhaust or gearing up to 4.56 / 4.88s.
imo if you want it, do it now. its probably easiest when installing cam etc, and saves the removal of intake etc to remove the valve cover again. how much are they? cause imo its most cost effective in long run to do it all in one go. but imo een more than the rockers, the gears will make the biggest difference, especially if youre turning big meats

The custom ratio rockers are like 990 dollars I think so that's a definite further down the road or never upgrade for me. I think I'll definitely do gears before looking into more power gains, I've got 3.73s right now with 33s.

Started the tear down today after work. Put about two hours into it and I'm to the heads. Tomorrow I'm going to tackle the exhaust manifold bolts and get the heads off. I've also got two broken A/C compressor hold down bolts I plan to weld a nut too and try to remove. After heads I guess I'll start working towards the timing cover and cam. I plan to do the oil filter adapter gaskets while the manifolds are off as well though.

Got the heads off. Was trying to take the manifolds off, I had been soaking them with PB Blaster, still no luck. Tried to heat them up with a propane torch. No luck. But then I realized I didn't have to remove them to access the oil filter housing nut. I jacked the exhaust up a few inches and was able to easily get it removed. Much easier than taking the exhaust off. Only downside is I won't have a chance to clean up the manifold or paint them.
frkwhnm.jpg

I bent the fan clutch wrench I had so I'll be looking at getting a rental tomorrow. But I'm done for today unfortunately. Might consider ordering engine mounts before I get the heads back on.

So I finished the cam swap last weekend. It runs and drives. I have very little time on it so far. Maybe 40 minutes running at idle and one very short drive. I half shafted my throttle body while everything was apart and in the process messed up my factory TPS. I've got that replaced and it idles well at around 800rpm warm. However, I have not driven it more than once because at idle my oil pressure gauge (dummy light) fluctuates erratically from None-Good pressure. At 1k and above RPM it stays reading good. I plan to do a post cam break in oil change and replace the sending unit to see if that's my issue. Later on I'd like to actually test my oil pressure, if this sensor and change doesn't resolve the gauge issue I'll be testing pressure very soon.

GxKg7QJ.jpg
With the heads pulled up revealed carbon covered pistons.

Xyj6lcA.jpg

Pistons cleaned. Timing cover and set removed. To remove the cam I had to remove the radiator and fortunately the AC condenser was able to sit low enough without unhooking to slide it out. Except...

z1vhORu.jpg

I had to grind a notch out of the front support. Not large but still an issue I had.

7UdKxcf.jpg

Lobes certainly seemed steeper on the regrind.

PUIgPq5.jpg

The half shafted throttle body. I don't want to bother trying to countersink the plate so I reused the screws and loctited them in. Finally some videos of it running and the fluctuating gauge.

First Start Up:

Sounds from exhaust:

Fluctuating Gauge at Idle:

With the heads pulled up revealed carbon covered pistons.
That's typical in any engine. I use a mix of acetone and marvel mystery oil to clean out the carbon. I know the acetone works good, I added some to the diesel fuel in my semi truck. after an hour of driving I went down a hill with the engine brake on, it looked like I was shooting thousands of tracer rounds out of the exhaust.

Yeah I used acetone and atf to clean mine. Unfortunately it still tooks a few hours to get them all sufficiently cleaned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update. I've got about 700 miles on the cam now. All is well. Replaced the sender and gauge reads good. Truck runs well. I think off the line power is better than it used to be considering 33s and 3.73s. Stock it seems like power slowed down after 3k rpm but honestly now it seems like 3000-3500rpm power keeps climbing. No dyno of course but I'm happy with it. The new components got rid of all lifter tick. MPG seems like it's down a touch. From 12mpg to 11mpg. I'm considering looking into tune options. To perhaps improve MPG a touch and get the full benefit of the cam. Any suggestions on suppliers and tuners that work on the old OHV still? Would be nice to get firmer shifts out of the 5r55e to help it live longer too.

Back