Going Electric? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going Electric?

Ya aren't going to fix something until you NEED to. Our govt knows us well.
Most Americans tend to shove their head into the sand and won't concern themselves with doing something until they feel the government operated bush hog mowing their arses off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree. These days one can buy a Ford Maverick hybrid and get over 40 mpg on the highway and nearly 50 mpg in the city. One thing that people aren't considering with EVs is that the cost of electricity will skyrocket if they are adopted in large numbers. Electricity costs are increasing rapidly and even now the cost saving from buying, and operating, an EV is not much lower than an ICE hybrid vehicle. In the not too distant future the cost of operating EVs will cost more than ICE vehicles unless they intentionally lower oil production.
The cost of gas & diesel will plummet the closer we get to 2024 and they will say that this is because of Biden just to sucker in more votes.

The cost of gas & diesel will plummet the closer we get to 2024 and they will say that this is because of Biden just to sucker in more votes.
Yep, when we all know that biden is who is driving the prices up

Someday, converting a gas powered vehicle to electric will be easy. Someone will get smart and make the batteries the shape of the gas tanks for the older cars. Someone that likes a manual transmission would have the option to bolt the electric motor to a manual transmission, etc. Right now EVs are going through what Detroit went through in the mid 70s to the mid 80s.

tThe cost of gas & diesel will plummet the closer we get to 2024 and they will say that this is because of Biden just to sucker in more votes.
I think it is going to get much worse before the 2024 elections. The only reason gas prices are dropping right now is the government is draining the military's strategic petroleum reserves and dumping the oil into the refineries for cheap prices. The reserve is about drained now and when it is completely used up gas prices will rise again. The goal is to push gas prices down before the midterm elections in November. Plus, natural gas here is skyrocketing because we are exporting large amounts of our natural gas production to Europe because they are cutting off their nose to spite their face over the Russian sanctions they have imposed.

There is nothing that Biden is doing that will increase oil production and he is actively trying to lower it drastically. It takes a long time to ramp up oil production once it is shut down and even longer to see the effects of price reductions at the pump from doing so. This winter is going to be bleak from an energy cost standpoint. Natural gas, electricity, fuel oil, gasoline, kerosene etc. are all going to skyrocket in price. Europe is looking at a far worse situation than we are and it is completely self inflicted by their governments. Plus, the cost of everything is rising and the supply of essential goods is dropping. There is no way for us to come from a booming economy less than 1.5 years ago to what we have today without it being manufactured. Especially when there is no valid reason like a natural disaster or war (the Russia-Ukraine conflict isn't even close to filling this excuse) to blame it on. The vast majority of the public is seeing that what is happening is intentional because the people doing it have nothing to blame it on or to hide their actions.

Ford already makes an EV "crate" motor. Its the same motor from the Mach E.

The EV market has a lot of work to do especially since they will constantly be compared to ICE cars for the rest of our existence. Battery and grid technology is not ready to compete at the moment but that will change with time.

I think it is going to get much worse before the 2024 elections. The only reason gas prices are dropping right now is the government is draining the military's strategic petroleum reserves and dumping the oil into the refineries for cheap prices. The reserve is about drained now and when it is completely used up gas prices will rise again. The goal is to push gas prices down before the midterm elections in November. Plus, natural gas here is skyrocketing because we are exporting large amounts of our natural gas production to Europe because they are cutting off their nose to spite their face over the Russian sanctions they have imposed.

There is nothing that Biden is doing that will increase oil production and he is actively trying to lower it drastically. It takes a long time to ramp up oil production once it is shut down and even longer to see the effects of price reductions at the pump from doing so. This winter is going to be bleak from an energy cost standpoint. Natural gas, electricity, fuel oil, gasoline, kerosene etc. are all going to skyrocket in price. Europe is looking at a far worse situation than we are and it is completely self inflicted by their governments. Plus, the cost of everything is rising and the supply of essential goods is dropping. There is no way for us to come from a booming economy less than 1.5 years ago to what we have today without it being manufactured. Especially when there is no valid reason like a natural disaster or war (the Russia-Ukraine conflict isn't even close to filling this excuse) to blame it on. The vast majority of the public is seeing that what is happening is intentional because the people doing it have nothing to blame it on or to hide their actions.
Maybe we should thank him for stopping the pipeline!

Could this be used along with a fuel shark and a Tornado fuel saver?
turbo that slides into the intake? or the thing that plugs into obd to save 50% fuel lol

turbo that slides into the intake? or the thing that plugs into obd to save 50% fuel lol
I'd like to invent a perpetual motion device. Until then others will sell the dream.

Love this group! LOL

Could this be used along with a fuel shark and a Tornado fuel saver?
gonna need to build a toilet into your wagon once you see how nuch the fuel shark saves. man the blinking light there sure tells me im saving surely im entering hybrid territory

gonna need to build a toilet into your wagon once you see how nuch the fuel shark saves. man the blinking light there sure tells me im saving surely im entering hybrid territory
Killing me smalls. It is supposed to run on the **** they are selling not my own.

Hey, I've got a great idea! I can solve the fuel crisis: let's just legalize weed, so the people can forget about all of this stuff, while we communize everything and take away their freedoms!

Seems to be the logic of all the politicians these days... while they pretend to save the environment by stopping us from doing what they're doing themselves. Remember when the government governed, in stead of controlling? Uh, me neither!

Jokes aside, the fact is that regardless of the reality of matters, or the readiness of the grid, or the availability of resources, what the politicians say is what we have to do. Nobody cares whether you like the environment or not - you have bills to pay, so that means you have to get to work. ICE, EV, bicycle, walk, nobody cares how you get to work after the laws are signed. That's your own problem. The politicians aren't concerned with these things, because they don't work jobs. The taxes we pay from the jobs we work, pay them. If unemployment is high and they don't have enough money from the working people's tax-paying, the obvious solution is to raise taxes. The dedicated people will work as hard as necessary to provide for their loved ones, and the lazy people are lazy now, and will be lazy then, too.

Mind you, I'm all for electric vehicles - it's a prospect that has been explored since before the ICE as we know it was even invented. But there are legitimate reasons that it has been avoided for over 100 years, and much of that reason is the availability of resources. See, nobody cares how much of a resource exists, if that resource cannot be sold for money. You can't sell what nobody wants to buy. The fossil fuel industry is taxed extremely heavily, which makes the government rich. They can pretend to hate it all they like, but they love the money they get from it, and they need the money they get from it. If the electric vehicle industry becomes as foundational as the fossil fuel industry has, you can bet the government will get its hands on that as well, in the name of "efficiency", raise taxes on electricity... An improved infrastructure to sustain the new technology will merely shift the expended resource supply chain. Truck drivers driving electric trucks hundreds of miles to bring batteries to charge/swap stations will replace the gas trucks of to day. The average consumer will have no greater grasp on the environmental strain caused by mining for lithium (or whatever resource they'll even be using, by then) than he or she has on the environmental strain caused by drilling for oil. The real problem of pollution caused by energy production facilities will continue to be ignored, and the blame will always be on the independent drivers. Why? Because the politicians are not trying to obtain a cleaner environment. They're trying to get paid. Raising taxes on the people who drive, since most people with any significance to the economy drive, seems to be the easiest way to get paid.

Electric vehicles have shown themselves extremely useful in certain circumstances, with low vehicle traffic and high pedestrian traffic, low speeds, and low range. Consider golf carts, electric scooters, motorized wheel chairs, and so many other similar devices, which can be used in places where you'd never consider using an ICE just for noise and exhaust fumes. Does this less-intrusive physical presence mean that the infrastructure needed to support and sustain these vehicles is more efficient or safer for the environment? As sure as hell, not!

If I had any electric vehicles it would be snow machines or ATV's........ a silent snowmobile would be soooooo sweet
I will still charge them at night using my diesel generator, no way around that, solar and wind are not going to produce enough to re charge those suckers......

I will never release by grip on my old 5.0 and 7.3 pushrod engines........... there is no EV that can haul 20 ranger based trucks to my house each summer or pull a 17000# boat, or a 14000# dump trailer........it would take 10,000# of batteries to even try!!

95982046-ACE3-4D74-9B44-1924B0D04861.jpeg

Show me the ev that can do this and I’ll show you the diesel generator that re charges the batteries

Electric is convenient since you could charge it at home over night when the rates are lower without having to look for a gas station when you're already on empty. People without a driveway won't have an easy time charging it. They are stealing catalytic converters everyday in my area so having an EV isn't a target since there is no exhaust. You don't have to make oil changes or tune ups. The cost of replacement batteries is more than the value of the car by the time the batteries fail so everything has pros & cons.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We should be able to have a discussion about EVs, without politics. If not, I will just close the thread.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I'm 60 years old and have been reading about EVs being the future for decades. My father was an outside salesmen to the automotive industry and he always had trade publications in our house which I would read. Detroit has wanted EVs for ages. To them it is a more profitable platform than ICE for a variety of reasons. Less parts, and less warranty work are probably the biggest reasons for them to push electrics. Automatic transmissions are one of the most expensive, and delicate parts of an ICE vehicle. Just eliminating them from the majority of the vehicles they sell will save them money on production and warranty claims. For mainstream auto makers it's all about what they can build the most profitably. They sure haven't been dragged kicking and screaming into the EV future like they were when the first fuel economy and pollution standards came to be.

In the '70s and '80s Detroit produced crap. It didn't matter if it was a Corvette, or a Cadillac, they were all propelled by crappy engine control systems which didn't allow even big engines to make enough power. They were difficult to work on, and often had to be retrofitted with different technology to make them work correctly. Yet people still bought what was available to them, and the technology improved incrementally.

One technology drives another. Mandating fuel economy and emissions standards forced Detroit to develop amazing engine control systems which have brought us the likes of the Bugatti Veyron and Dodge Charger Hellcat. "They" said the muscle car era died in 1970. They couldn't have been more wrong.

Back