Going Electric? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going Electric?

And what powers the electric motors? Diesel engines

Why aren't the trains run on diesel power alone? Inefficient compared to the diesel electric hybrid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torque!! Instant
To get that load moving they need the torque
Which is why motors at the wheel are awesome
I design elevators, electric traction elevators
They use a counterweight to make moving the weight possible, fighting gravity.
Trains do not have that luxury
However electric trains, like elevators, are regenerative so when the load is going downhill the motors at the wheels actually put power back into the bank, elevators do similar when the car is heavier then the counterweight and headed in the down direction they put power back into the grid.
It still costs power to run elevators
Same with trains

Where is all of the electricity coming from now, and what about in ten years, or 2035? Right now almost 80% of the electricity in the country comes from fossil fuels, what everyone is hating on(pushed by the politicians). The government is abusing the current conditions and fears to push green everything, and yes solely to gain more power and control.

CA doesn't have enough electricity right now, proven by the facts of their politicians(their evil Governor) telling the people to stop using electricity in their homes. They have just over 10% in total EV vehicles now, what is expected to happen as they increase those numbers, and "kill off" ICE vehicles with regulations? How about another cash for clunkers promotion, and the next one, plus the others that will follow? When will there be enough electricity for all of the new EV's being pushed upon us?

This has nothing to do with clean energy, EV's, or batteries. It is all about government control, the other subjects are just their way to sacrifice our freedoms, to improve their power and wealth.

Where is all of the electricity coming from now, and what about in ten years, or 2035? Right now almost 80% of the electricity in the country comes from fossil fuels, what everyone is hating on(pushed by the politicians). The government is abusing the current conditions and fears to push green everything, and yes solely to gain more power and control.

CA doesn't have enough electricity right now, proven by the facts of their politicians(their evil Governor) telling the people to stop using electricity in their homes. They have just over 10% in total EV vehicles now, what is expected to happen as they increase those numbers, and "kill off" ICE vehicles with regulations? How about another cash for clunkers promotion, and the next one, plus the others that will follow? When will there be enough electricity for all of the new EV's being pushed upon us?

This has nothing to do with clean energy, EV's, or batteries. It is all about government control, the other subjects are just their way to sacrifice our freedoms, to improve their power and wealth.
I agree 100%

Some folks think in the present. They don't support electric vehicles, so they work against them.

Others are doing something about it, building more decentralized sub generators, solar, wind, etc.
Most rural communities have the capability to sell their power to the grid, problem and s the grid can refuse it.

The powers in the "grid" are working to make it hard for us to hook up to them. If this was to change, it would open doors of feasibility.

We need to pressure our leaders to change the laws protecting the power companies.

The electric co charges is here around .13 per kWh. However the most they will pay back produced power is ..04 . That is less than their fuel cost.

Not to mention, all credits at the end of year, are wiped clean. The law allows this theft of acquired property.

Manure digesters can power whole communities, using the bad methane by products to power fuel cells. One powers the fairy farm, a truck stop, and all it's milk delivery trucks this way, along with composting some of the truck stop food waste. It even routes some to the grid for the nearby town. All on poop.

All they need from the power company to make a profit is .06. Electric will not budge, some paying as little as .03.

When the laws change, there will be more electricity than we will need.

Please send an email to your representatives. They think we are ignorant , the lobbyists tell em so.

1663108580281.png

Only 5.9% of our electricity is derived from coal, 8.9% from natural gas, 1.3% from petroleum and 59.3% from hydroelectricity. I don't see any shortage here now or in the near future. How long that will last I don't know but we are the second largest exporter of electricity in the world.

Peter

Only 5.9% of our electricity is derived from coal, 8.9% from natural gas, 1.3% from petroleum and 59.3% from hydroelectricity. I don't see any shortage here now or in the near future. How long that will last I don't know but we are the second largest exporter of electricity in the world.

Peter
Where does the other 24.6% come from?

Evergy's energy sources

Wind power is huge and growing here.

good info dudes!!

Some folks think in the present. They don't support electric vehicles, so they work against them.

Others are doing something about it, building more decentralized sub generators, solar, wind, etc.
Most rural communities have the capability to sell their power to the grid, problem and s the grid can refuse it.

The powers in the "grid" are working to make it hard for us to hook up to them. If this was to change, it would open doors of feasibility.

We need to pressure our leaders to change the laws protecting the power companies.
One problem with relying on electricity is it can be turned on and off by the government at will and on a house by house basis. I don't trust anyone with this level of control over my life. I have nothing against EVs it is just that they are pushing them on us far too fast. It is causing massive problems now that will only get far, far worse as time passes. After the lock downs of the past two years I am very jittery with anything that makes this type of action more and more enforceable. The government needs to let the free market determine when, and how fast EVs are adopted. The public will adopt them willingly when they are ready for wide use, are economically viable for the average working class person AND we have the infrastructure to support them.

Are these numbers for Canada? I know here in the USA we don't have these percentages. With Canada having a population of just 37 million people your needs can be met much easier than ours. Especially with hydroelectric power plants. Here in the USA we are tearing down dams instead of building them. Heck, Lake Mead is going dry and the power production from the Hoover Dam is dropping more and more as each month passes. Lake Mead is at its lowest level since they started filling it in the 1930s and still dropping fast. It is at 27% of its full capacity right now. I think power generation is down 30% from a few years ago. If it keeps dropping it will reach what is called "dead pool" elevation where water is too low to feed the canals serving California, Arizona and parts of Mexico.

Lake Mead shows us how relying on renewable energy sources like hydro, wind and solar can be very, very risky. Sources like nuclear reactors, fossil fuel plants etc. are what we should be investing in if we want long term stability regarding the electricity we consume. Let me get one more plug in for thorium reactors.:bounce:

iirc in CA we still have some form of CfC i think its called the ca vehicle retirement or something, im not well versed in it though

One problem with relying on electricity is it can be turned on and off by the government at will and on a house by house basis. I don't trust anyone with this level of control over my life.

That's why I will be putting up solar panels. When I get an EV I will be able to charge it no matter the state of the grid.

I want electric cars to thrive, and batteries to improve, no argument from me to stop it. But I don't want anything forced on anyone, let alone a technology(the EV's) which is so far not running on clean energy, and causing the requirement of more coal and natural gas to be burned. The government should not be choosing winners and losers, they are the worst people to make important decisions.

The battery technology is improving quickly(and slowly as testing progresses), that will probably be the first hurdle we pass which solves the range problems. But we still need more electricity, and it looks like nuclear power is the easiest way. Again that will take way more time than the CA regulations that limit ICE vehicles very soon. It is about the politicians, they do not care about us, stop believing their BS.

That's why I will be putting up solar panels. When I get an EV I will be able to charge it no matter the state of the grid.
You are a smart man. I will be doing the same when I retire and get out of the suburban hell hole I currently live in. Solar, a good battery bank AND a well are tops on list. With enough off grid electricity generation an EV is a sustainable mode of transportation (as long as it isn't remotely controlled) if the SHTF. Add a good wind backup, or a micro hydro if possible, and this makes for a great electrical generation system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want electric cars to thrive, and batteries to improve, no argument from me to stop it. But I don't want anything forced on anyone, let alone a technology(the EV's) which is so far not running on clean energy, and causing the requirement of more coal and natural gas to be burned. The government should not be choosing winners and losers, they are the worst people to make important decisions.

The battery technology is improving quickly(and slowly as testing progresses), that will probably be the first hurdle we pass which solves the range problems. But we still need more electricity, and it looks like nuclear power is the easiest way. Again that will take way more time than the CA regulations that limit ICE vehicles very soon. It is about the politicians, they do not care about us, stop believing their BS.
I agree we should have a choice on what we want instead of having it forced on us I'm not against EVs I just don't like the idea of the government being able to control it

Back