Looking to buy 1999 Ford explore need your advice!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to buy 1999 Ford explore need your advice!!

Post number 20 has been selected as best answered.

I've been looking to upgrade to a used 2016-2018 model 3.5L V6 F150. And all the research indicates there is a possibility night mare of fixing other peoples problems if I get from a dealership or a mom&Pop lot.

I suggest concentrating on the internal water pump issue with those. The high probability of the WP leaking internally requires extra attention when finding one, plus watching it very carefully to try to catch it before it kills the engine. It's a risk that all owners should know about, and new buyers.

BTW, the newer engines had dual injection add starting in 2018, in the F150 it was 2017 for the 3.7 V6. That better injection system is worth extra money to possibly stop intake valve coking that is common on the earlier direct injection engines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you sound like my neighbor who told me my car will tip over if I lift the rear end. I have notice a significant gas improvement after removing the front drive shaft. - at least by 5-6mpg

I agree. I've been looking to upgrade to a used 2016-2018 model 3.5L V6 F150. And all the research indicates there is a possibility night mare of fixing other peoples problems if I get from a dealership or a mom&Pop lot.
There is zero percent chance that simply removing the driveshaft yields 5mpg. Insisting it does will simply let everyone who knows these trucks, or basic science, that you’re full of it.

Not sure how I sound anything like your neighbor, I eluded to nothing happening from adding shackles, including a “pinion noise”. If your pinion bearing is making noise, it’s because it’s worn out, not because you lifted it.

There is zero percent chance that simply removing the driveshaft yields 5mpg. Insisting it does will simply let everyone who knows these trucks, or basic science, that you’re full of it.

Not sure how I sound anything like your neighbor, I eluded to nothing happening from adding shackles, including a “pinion noise”. If your pinion bearing is making noise, it’s because it’s worn out, not because you lifted it.
I get the feeling he doesn't like his neighbor too much. You actually sound a lot like my father, always responding with facts and logic.

I get the feeling he doesn't like his neighbor too much. You actually sound a lot like my father, always responding with facts and logic.
Your father must have been a miserable man to be around.

Oh, just me? Eesh.

BE6CC66B-E394-4362-9E5F-26064A7514C4.jpeg

lol. like he is driving my truck and know my driving habits / MPG and what other variables I did when I removed the driveshaft. I could have been driving the truck more aggressively with the driveshaft in. Now less off the throttle due to the lighter weight and issues with a bad ujoint.

lol. like he is driving my truck and know my driving habits / MPG and what other variables I did when I removed the driveshaft. I could have been driving the truck more aggressively with the driveshaft in. Now less off the throttle due to the lighter weight and issues with a bad ujoint.
If you add in other variables you understand it invalidates your claim……right?

If I understand this correctly you remove the drive shaft but the Differential Still spinning the transfer case is still spinning having the drive shaft removed doesn't seem to make sense for 5 miles a gallon everything is still Spinning

Now you're just pushing the Front diff Down the road
Don't make sense I agree with Mr. brooks

If I understand this correctly you remove the drive shaft but the Differential Still spinning the transfer case is still spinning having the drive shaft removed doesn't seem to make sense for 5 miles a gallon everything is still Spinning

Now you're just pushing the Front diff Down the road
Don't make sense I agree with Mr. brooks
I have to agree maybe 1mpg difference but not 5mpg

I'm selling my 2002 XLS 4X4 for $4,000. It's Florida car, so it's free of rust
Howdy Luisn! I live in Haines City too. l'm interested...... need more info & an address can you call me at
863-852-8428 Thanks! Rod

@rc2308 you would be best sending personal information with a private message to that person. Any questions how, we would be happy to assist.

I have to agree maybe 1mpg difference but not 5mpg
I have been running for 6 months without the front driveshaft on my 1997 XLT 5.0 w/AWD and sure did not see 5MPg, more like .8MPG, not much. Have a new driveshaft and will be reinstalling this weekend

Hello guys
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 1999 Ford explore or anything similar but I'm really interested in this one, unfortunately this car has salvage title and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything else I should be looking out for while doing my inspection day, and I will purchase the car report to see damage and other details.

Some things that I will be looking out for during my inspection today:

noises in the engine
check transmission for slips jolts etc
verify all electrics / features / lights,
coolant or oil leaks
They are asking for the price of $3,500 and it has 130000 miles with a Salvage Title.

If you guys have any suggestions on what to look at.
thanks
View attachment 434089
View attachment 434090
View attachment 434091

I have had 5 Explorers and enjoyed them all. Never any serious engine or transmission issues. I have replaced wheel bearings and ball joints on all of them at one time or another. I have also had to replace two heater vent switches in the dash. These were under $40 but a pain to do. Ford wanted $1500 but watch You Tube videos to SAVE $1450 $$$$$$$$$ if needed. Possible pay a local , trustworthy mechanic a $100-$200 to look it over for peace of mind. Good Luck !!!!

Back