Uwharrie 2023 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DintDobbs

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport 4x4
Located in western North Carolina, Uwharrie National Forest is a popular location for camping, hiking, cycling, horseback riding, and the reason we care about, four-wheeling!

I will be there from the afternoon of Friday 7/14 through the morning of Sunday 7/16.

If anybody is interested in joining up, this is your thread! See Post #13 for list of prospective participants.

uwharrie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe, that's still a heck of a drive for me, maybe though!

closer than thaven
There is that!! The only reason I'm still tempted, though my truck has to be running right! And for the fourth of July I'm planning another camping trip on that week, so depending on when in July if July at all. And not sure when we'll be moving, but sometime in the fall we're supposed to be moving somewhere in Tennessee, which for sure would put me closer.

These are the official sites. Read up and see what's good!
Ever been to any, have a preference? Read up on a few in a bit

@DemonMudder I went to Uwharrie in August last year, and definitely know I want more. The trails range from forest service roads to rock fields; anybody with decent all-terrains will be fine on any of the "easy" trails. I didn't risk any of the difficult/extreme trails since I was solo, but the moderate ones shouldn't be hard to tackle with a moderate lift and some good A/T's.

As far as preference goes, I couldn't say. I didn't stay for very long. This time, I plan on staying for at least 2 nights.

@DemonMudder I went to Uwharrie in August last year, and definitely know I want more. The trails range from forest service roads to rock fields; anybody with decent all-terrains will be fine on any of the "easy" trails. I didn't risk any of the difficult/extreme trails since I was solo, but the moderate ones shouldn't be hard to tackle with a moderate lift and some good A/T's.

As far as preference goes, I couldn't say. I didn't stay for very long. This time, I plan on staying for at least 2 nights.
Well hopefully by then, I'll have my truck on a 4" leveling/lift kit, 3" body, 35" R/Ts, and my winch mounted, just in case. Especially for my own sake being 2wd! lol

But yeah, wouldn't mind it if all is in proper working order by then.

I did Dickie Bell last September. Tough trail, but it has everything. It's also a jeep badge of honor trail.

Daniel is insane, and I won't be trying that.
There is an awesome camp site off moccasin rd that could easily handle 10 rigs. Great lakeside site for about 4.
I'll be there, just need a date!

-Dan

@DannyW We're working on the date; thus far, it can be anywhere after July 12.

I shied away from Daniel last time, since I was solo, but having watched this loaded Honda make it through, and having a group this time, perhaps I will attempt it.

If others go at it, I'll think about going at it. The videos can never capture the reality of the terrain. It is steeper and twistier and has more ups and downs than a video can ever portray.

@DannyW We're working on the date; thus far, it can be anywhere after July 12.

I shied away from Daniel last time, since I was solo, but having watched this loaded Honda make it through, and having a group this time, perhaps I will attempt it.

If others go at it, I'll think about going at it. The videos can never capture the reality of the terrain. It is steeper and twistier and has more ups and downs than a video can ever portray.

So that ain't a trail for my truck, 10-4 lol

@DemonMudder Honestly, if it's wet, it would be better if you shotgun in somebody else's truck. If it's dry, any of the easy trails should be possible, since for those, clearance isn't the issue so much as traction. In the moderates and upward, the ups and downs and sideways are very tight, and the slopes tend to be very steep. With trees, washouts, and outcroppings everywhere, turning radius and breakover angle are things to consider.

But if you really want to put her through her paces, try it all! All trails run both ways, so you find something you don't like, just turn around and head back!

Incidentally, this run is quickly becoming a much bigger deal than I had anticipated.

I mentioned it to a fellow on Overland Bound 1, since he was there last year, and he said he's down to join as well. He asked if he can invite others, and I told him to bring whoever wants to come. @DannyW is privy to this, and the two of us can keep track of who will be joining from that side. I'll keep you fellas here posted as to who else will be joining.

I've updated the schedule date in the OP to 07/14 - 07/16. Meanwhile, I'll use this post to keep track of known participants. Put your name down in the thread and I'll add you to the list.

PROSPECTIVE PARTICIPANTS FROM EXPLORER FORUM:

@DintDobbs - Ford Explorer
@DannyW - Ford Explorer

PROSPECTIVE PARTICIPANTS FROM OVERLAND BOUND:

Rust Problem - Ford F-150

aka.Kletus - Ford F-150

JJbyrd - Jeep Wrangler

NCFireGuy - Dodge Ram

Sam the Viking - Toyota Tacoma

Kinginthewoods - Subaru Crosstrek

ALL_N_ZR2 - Chevrolet Colorado

DON'T FORGET TO BRING:

- FOOD AND WATER! (Don't be a dummy!)
- Recovery Gear! (At least a shovel and a jack, hopefully a strap and D-rings, don't always be using other people's stuff!)
- First Aid Kit! (Let's hope you don't need this one.)
- Camping Gear! (Tent, grill, sleeping bag, marshmallows, graham crackers... You know, camping stuff.)
- Spare Fuel! (Won't really need it, but it saves you a trip off the trails and back.)
- Walkie-Talkies! (These are optional, but they're fun.)

Just curious, is your 99 Ex stock? If so, would you call it a decent one for easy trails? Or are you referring to ATVs?

@joney My '99 is far from stock, list of mods can be found in my profile page. My '00 Limited is stock. Any 1st or 2nd or even 3rd gen at stock height should be able to handle the easy trails with no trouble at all, as long as you've got all-terrain tires. If it's dry, you might not even need A/T's, but they're definitely nice to have on the loose stones. The moderate trails will be sketchy without a lift, but should still be possible with a 1st or 2nd gen.

@joney My '99 is far from stock, list of mods can be found in my profile page. My '00 Limited is stock. Any 1st or 2nd or even 3rd gen at stock height should be able to handle the easy trails with no trouble at all, as long as you've got all-terrain tires. If it's dry, you might not even need A/T's, but they're definitely nice to have on the loose stones. The moderate trails will be sketchy without a lift, but should still be possible with a 1st or 2nd gen.
Wow, that was quick! I've got Goodyear 235/75/15 M+S - good in snow! Not sure these would count as all terrain although the tread is quite good. Just checking E. of the Rockies for dispersed camping sites for future trips. I'll bet the weather is nice in NC right now. Not betting on that in July/August unless you like heat. Keeping it stock-just the maintenance keeps my budget busy. Have yourself a ton of fun there, and post pics!

@joney Why not come and join us, there's plenty to see here! We'll plan on sharing pics, and if the Honda guy (his name is Aaron) makes a video this year, that should make good watching.

M+S is what my Nittos are. They should be fine, mud tires are definitely ideal for this environment.

And no, @joney, it's way too cold for me the last few weeks. Come on, Spring, where y'at?

It WILL be very hot out there in July and August though, so plan on bringing more water than you will ever need. @DemonMudder, bring a jacket, our heat is probably cold to you Florida boyos!

@joney Why not come and join us, there's plenty to see here! We'll plan on sharing pics, and if the Honda guy (his name is Aaron) makes a video, that should make good watching.

M+S is what my Nittos are. They should be fine, mud tires are definitely ideal for this environment.

And no, @joney, it's way too cold for me the last few weeks. Come on, Spring, where y'at?

It WILL be very hot out there in July and August though, so plan on bringing more water than you will ever need. @DemonMudder, bring a jacket, our heat is probably cold to you Florida boyos!
MS i thought was simply to distinguish bias ply from radials. since every radial ive seen is MS its mroe of a contruction thing that for example the 3peak symbol which takes testing. so i think the tires on joney X should be MS too assuming theyre radials, just cause theyre MS doesnt make am mud or snow tires, at least to my understanding

@Fix4Dirt M/S, MS and M+S as far as I have ever seen or heard of refers to the terrain type. A quick web search turns up this result, as well. M/T means mud terrain, A/T means all terrain, HT means highway terrain. M/S is mud and snow. Most tires should include a description on the side, specifying whether they are radials, etc. as well as how many tread and sidewall plies are in its construction, and the materials that they are made of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Fix4Dirt M/S, MS and M+S as far as I have ever seen or heard of refers to the terrain type. A quick web search turns up this result, as well. M/T means mud terrain, A/T means all terrain, HT means highway terrain. M/S is mud and snow.
huh, interesting!!!!!!! i know MT is mud terrain/maximmum traction, and what not, and AS is all season. ever all season, mud terrain,, etc ive seen had the MS. even toyo extenza that was on thsi one before (an AS) said MS on it and can testify that it did not do great in mud

Back