400,000 miles! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

400,000 miles!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats that's awesome!:chug:

I believe this is the highest mileage 2nd gen I know of.

I'm setting you up with a 6 month Elite membership because I think this is a great milestone.
Wow!! I wondered what was going on when I saw that notification come through! Thanks that was mighty nice of you!

Congrats! They don't build 'em like they used to. Back in the day, 100K was old and worn out! 😄
Mine's only got 358K, so it should be good for a while yet!
yep, im inclined to say the 90s and ve try early 00s was the ponnacle. good enough to last so much longer and be dead reliable, not too techy and turbos and etc

Congrats! They don't build 'em like they used to. Back in the day, 100K was old and worn out! 😄
Mine's only got 358K, so it should be good for a while yet!
I'd love to fix the body up on it but everytime I crawl underneath it... I'm like... nope.

yep, im inclined to say the 90s and ve try early 00s was the ponnacle. good enough to last so much longer and be dead reliable, not too techy and turbos and etc
Theres a reason I won't own anything built passed 2000! lol

Using montly average historical gas prices for Ohio which I found on a government site going back to 2003 (I used 2003 data for 00, 01 and 02) and dividing the mileage evenly over the months and using my average mpg of 19 (which I calculated several times over the years)... I have a grand total of $53796.11 spent on gas.

Complicated systems breeds early obsolescence.

Very cool!
2000 XLS 4.0 OHV M5OD. Purchased new in 2000 with a couple hundred miles on the odometer. If I recall correctly I spent around $24K on it and waited for the dealer to trade for it because I wanted the 5 speed. Just made it to 400,000 miles on Sunday. Original motor and transmission. She's rusty and dirty but I'd drive it anywhere. Just drove it from NW Ohio to Wash DC in August. Always used Mobil1 and usually Wix filters. Certainly have made some repairs over the years: (I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff)
( I've done all the repairs, no one else has touched the car.)

Intake gasket
injector seals
IAC valve
Top radiator hose
Many tires
Many wiper blades
Many brakes, rotors
Several serpentine belts
Lower ball joints twice
Upper A-arms
2 front wheel bearings
Several door latches
Rear wiper motor
All dash lights
Clutch slave cylinder (twice)
Replace clutch with above even though it could have lasted longer
Parking brake shoes
Brake lights
EGR gasket
Pilot bearing ruining M5OD input shaft so replaced both
Gas tank
Filler neck
Several starters
Several O2 sensors
3-4 batteries
3-4 sets of plugs
ignition coil
front differential - 350,000 miles and it was bone dry inside. Never checked it. Rear is full! :)
rebuilt alternator (new slip ring/brushes/bearings) twice
rear axle seals

Needs:
Valve cover gaskets BAD
Probably tires next year
Lower ball joints again
driver door latch
All dash lights (LED replacements lasted less than 2 years)
Radiator

Love the car. Runs great. Figure at 25K a year I'll be back in 5 years to say I'm at half a million. Pic shows me sitting in front of Hotel Harrington in DC and I'll admit that pic makes the body look better than it actually is.

Using monthly average historical gas prices for Ohio which I found on a government site going back to 2003 (I used 2003 data for 00, 01 and 02) and dividing the mileage evenly over the months and using my average mpg of 19 (which I calculated several times over the years)... I have a grand total of $53796.11 spent on gas.

View attachment 438066

2000 XLS 4.0 OHV M5OD. Purchased new in 2000 with a couple hundred miles on the odometer. If I recall correctly I spent around $24K on it and waited for the dealer to trade for it because I wanted the 5 speed. Just made it to 400,000 miles on Sunday. Original motor and transmission. She's rusty and dirty but I'd drive it anywhere. Just drove it from NW Ohio to Wash DC in August. Always used Mobil1 and usually Wix filters. Certainly have made some repairs over the years: (I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff)

Intake gasket
injector seals
IAC valve
Top radiator hose
Many tires
Many wiper blades
Many brakes, rotors
Several serpentine belts
Lower ball joints twice
Upper A-arms
2 front wheel bearings
Several door latches
Rear wiper motor
All dash lights
Parking brake shoes
Brake lights
EGR gasket
Gas tank
Filler neck
Several starters
Several O2 sensors
3-4 batteries
3-4 sets of plugs
ignition coil
front differential - 350,000 miles and it was bone dry inside. Never checked it. Rear is full! :)
rear axle seals

Needs:
Valve cover gaskets BAD
Probably tires next year
Lower ball joints again
driver door latch
Radiator

Love the car. Runs great. Figure at 25K a year I'll be back in 5 years to say I'm at half a million. Pic shows me sitting in front of Hotel Harrington in DC and I'll admit that pic makes the body look better than it actually is.

Using monthly average historical gas prices for Ohio which I found on a government site going back to 2003 (I used 2003 data for 00, 01 and 02) and dividing the mileage evenly over the months and using my average mpg of 19 (which I calculated several times over the years)... I have a grand total of $53796.11 spent on gas.

View attachment 438066 View attachment 438067
Very cool! I had 337000 when I sold my First Gen. Of course that trani was a Ford mistake. I had it rebuilt 3 times. Can't rework a Pinto trani and stuff it in a SUV. Never used synthetic oil. Always DINO oil 3000 mile oil changes.

Intake gasket
injector seals
IAC valve
Top radiator hose
Many tires
Many wiper blades
Many brakes, rotors
Several serpentine belts
Lower ball joints twice
Upper A-arms
2 front wheel bearings
Several door latches
Rear wiper motor
All dash lights
Parking brake shoes
Brake lights
EGR gasket
Gas tank
Filler neck
Several starters
Several O2 sensors
3-4 batteries
3-4 sets of plugs
ignition coil
rear axle seals

Needs:
Valve cover gaskets BAD
Probably tires next year
Lower ball joints again
driver door latch
Radiator

View attachment 438066 View attachment 438067
WOW that is some maintance list. though it's about like mine for my 1999 Explorer xlt v6 soch 4.0 Planning a trip to El Paso Texas from
Riverside calif in March. Having things fixed NOW for March 2023. Vlave cover gaskets upper control arm ball joints lower control arm tie rod ends. Last Month the Catalytic convertors quit set check engine light on NOT CHEAP here in Ca to have fixed. Otherwise, i cannot Drive the vehicle HERE in California without SMOG CERTIFICATE. sickening/!!

WOW that is some maintance list. though it's about like mine for my 1999 Explorer xlt v6 soch 4.0 Planning a trip to El Paso Texas from
Riverside calif in March. Having things fixed NOW for March 2023. Vlave cover gaskets upper control arm ball joints lower control arm tie rod ends. Last Month the Catalytic convertors quit set check engine light on NOT CHEAP here in Ca to have fixed. Otherwise, i cannot Drive the vehicle HERE in California without SMOG CERTIFICATE. sickening/!!
should be able to make it to el paso imo as long as its in good condition, these are reliable vehicles.

should be able to make it to el paso imo as long as its in good condition, these are reliable vehicles.
Very reliable indeed

made it multiple times up to mammoth through sherwin incline fully loaded bikes and tons of cargo in summer, can confirm these are tough hahahaha also 5 to grapevine alot and still on original trans knock on wood

Using montly average historical gas prices for Ohio which I found on a government site going back to 2003 (I used 2003 data for 00, 01 and 02) and dividing the mileage evenly over the months and using my average mpg of 19 (which I calculated several times over the years)... I have a grand total of $53796.11 spent on gas.
That's alot spent on gas!

That's alot spent on gas!
But a lot of money saved on car payments (and car insurance and depreciation, etc…)

But a lot of money saved on car payments (and car insurance and depreciation, etc…)
What I spend on maintenance, repairs and reduced personal property tax every year is less than one or two car payments for a new vehicle these days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back