DEAD AS A DOORNAIL, whatever that means, lol | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DEAD AS A DOORNAIL, whatever that means, lol

BLACKPEARLZ

Reaction score
City, State
san diego, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLORER EDDIE BAUER
HEY GUYS, and girls. :_) I bought an 02 explorer about 2 monhts ago. Never have had a single issue. Nothing, Has always started no problem, first time, every time, right away. Now, compltely dead. NOTHING. Door locks wont work, anti theft light isnt blinking, no spark when I pull the neg batt cable off. Cant get it out of park.
Im thinking something is wrong with anti theft system. ANyone have any experience with something like this?
Its in a remote area, tomm. Im taking a jump starter, an amp meter, a new batt., and gonna replace the batts on both my key fobs. BUt if anyone has any experience or advice on this, I would love it. thanks in advance, ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HEY GUYS, and girls. :_) I bought an 02 explorer about 2 monhts ago. Never have had a single issue. Nothing, Has always started no problem, first time, every time, right away. Now, compltely dead. NOTHING. Door locks wont work, anti theft light isnt blinking, no spark when I pull the neg batt cable off. Cant get it out of park.
Im thinking something is wrong with anti theft system. ANyone have any experience with something like this?
Its in a remote area, tomm. Im taking a jump starter, an amp meter, a new batt., and gonna replace the batts on both my key fobs. BUt if anyone has any experience or advice on this, I would love it. thanks in advance, ron
Sounds like a dead battery or a broken ground somewhere

Sounds like a dead battery or a broken ground somewhere
Or both, I'd certainly test that battery first and foremost, if it tests fine, I'd start checking all the grounds. Hopefully it's just the battery! Welcome to the forum by the way!

welcome! agree with lee and demon, they beat me to it

Nice thread title, I can't knock it. I think it's probably a dead battery.

Batt gave no indication of being bad, slow starts or anything. BUt Im gonna just get a new one today anyways and will let you know how it turns out. Ammeter gauge wasnt indicating a charge problem, but I have noticed a little tiny rattle near one of the pulleys when engine is running, making me think alt prob possibly. I will update and really appreciate the responses.
Thing is, I once had this problem and it turned out the alarm system had to be reset, and the guy who did it knew how to, and I didnt, that was with an old 95 chrysler voyager, man I loved that mini van. Who knows how many puppies were spawned in the back of that thing, lol.

Batt gave no indication of being bad, slow starts or anything. BUt Im gonna just get a new one today anyways and will let you know how it turns out. Ammeter gauge wasnt indicating a charge problem, but I have noticed a little tiny rattle near one of the pulleys when engine is running, making me think alt prob possibly. I will update and really appreciate the responses.
Thing is, I once had this problem and it turned out the alarm system had to be reset, and the guy who did it knew how to, and I didnt, that was with an old 95 chrysler voyager, man I loved that mini van. Who knows how many puppies were spawned in the back of that thing, lol.
Go up to any auto store, they can test both, do that before buying a battery or anything, save some cash if ya can.

I had an issue with the anti theft system once, for mine the key died and so the truck couldnt recognize the key and locked itself up. But the truck would still turn over, lights and such would work; it just wouldnt actually start till I replaced the ignition cylinder and keys, then got a guy out to reprogram it (any auto locksmith like pop a lock) to match the truck and reset it. Once that was done, truck was back, but yours is dead dead, that doesnt sound like the just anti theft, though maybe the next gen explorer had it differently, mine was a '99 so I cant be certain, I've never heard of any vehicle ever doing that though. If its acting like that, I dont know how someone would connect to even reset the anti theft if its acting dead.

UPDATE, PROB SOLVED.
I want to really thank you guys for the responses.
I knew something weird was going on cuz the batt didnt gie any indications of being old.
Got up, took a battery jump starter, it fired right up. Went to auto zone, peices of crap that place is sometimes, but it was close by, to get a new batt. I figured it was either the batt or alt at that point, and auto zone was closest. But it was closed, even though it was past their openeing time.
So I drove 7 miles to Oreilly's, turned it off, then it started right up again. So, now Im thinking, its not the batt, why wast over hundred dollars.
So, Im gonna go to burger king, Im walking out, and I notice my tailights are on. Turns out my brake light switch is sticking in the open posistion.
Older car, from now on, Im gonna carry that battery jump starter with me.

UPDATE, PROB SOLVED.
I knew something weird was going on cuz the batt didnt gie any indications of being old.
Got up, took a battery jump starter, it fired right up. Went to auto zone, peices of crap that place is sometimes, but it was close by, to get a new batt. I figured it was either the batt or alt at that point, and auto zone was closest. But it was closed, even though it was past their openeing time.
So I drove 7 miles to Oreilly's, turned it off, then it started right up again. So, now Im thinking, its not the batt, why wast over hundred dollars.
So, Im gonna go to burger king, Im walking out, and I notice my tailights are on. Turns out my brake light switch is sticking in the open posistion.
Glad you got some answers, by the way that little red flashy light means nothing to the car thieves. Especially the experienced ones. They punched the lock on my driver side door, and tore the ignition apart (with my tools!), and fuse box, got under the hood, didn't steal the battery, the only thing that saved the truck from being rolled down the hill so they could "work on it more" was a 4 hook CLUB on the steering wheel they couldn't get all 4 hooks off so they finally gave up after going through my owner's manual for any ID info (which we don't keep in any vehicle parked outside). Anyway, it took a couple weeks at the repair shop plus I put an actual ACTIVE VIPER alarm system installed on it so if it gets bumped or messed with it sets off the alarm and shows a display FOB on my key ring. Even close thunder will make it chirp the warning before it goes to full alarm mode. Yeah I though the little red light protected my F 150, not so true. Plus an FYI an active alarm system WILL drain your battery after a week or so of not running the engine. Good Luck!

but I have noticed a little tiny rattle near one of the pulleys when engine is running, making me think alt prob possibly.
Tiny little rattles can become much less tiny problems if ignored. Always listen if you truck is bothering to talk to you.

If you are planning on keeping this truck then check the idler pulleys on the belt system as this is a likely source of the rattle. This involves removing the belt (take a picture first for reference) and spinning the 2 small smooth pulleys at the top, the larger groved pulley to the right of the harmonic balancer, and the pulley on the tensioner. Be careful spinning the large grooved pulley as it is easy to get your finger caught. They should all spin freely with no wobble or sounds. Also, check the tension on the tensioner and the belt. All of the pulleys use the same bearing and they are not at all hard to replace. This is more work then just replacing the pulley but you can get a high quality bearing for pretty short money compared to replacing the pulleys with high quality parts.

I used these,

SKF 6203-2RS Ball Bearing ($9.82 shipping included)

though they were only about $6 when I did the repair. You can get pretty inexpensive versions of the pulley but many of them say that they are not compatible with the original bolt and spacer. The Motorcraft pulleys go about $20 +ship. All you need to press out the old bearing and press in the new one is a bench vice and a large deep well socket set.

I have had to remove the upper radiator shroud to work on the belt but maybe you will have more luck. I generally would rather remove more and have an easier time with a repair then mess around with something I can't quite get to, but others may disagree.

If it's not the idlers than it may be something else on the system like the alternator, water pump, oil pump, PS pump, etc. All of these are much more concerning then the idlers so don't let it go too long.

Have you checked the output of your alternator since you got it running again? A loose belt will cause reduced alternator output and poor charging as well as reduced oil pressure. I would want to know why the battery needed to be jumped. In short, I wouldn't assume that the isn't a problem in there somewhere just because you got it running for now. Cleaning the battery terminal connectors and all of the ground wire connectors is also a good use of an hour or so. I use a wire brush wheel on a drill on most everything metal that I disconnect. I also replace most bolts (if they are not specialized) with bolts with a rust resistant coating and paint every metal bracket and such before it goes back on.

LMHmedchem

UPDATE, PROB SOLVED.
Your most welcome also I have a video on my 99 for changing the brake light switch I'm not sure if it will help on a 02 but it's a fairly easy job, I'll put a link below.

Glad you got some answers, by the way that little red flashy light means nothing to the car thieves. Especially the experienced ones. They punched the lock on my driver side door, and tore the ignition apart (with my tools!), and fuse box, got under the hood, didn't steal the battery, the only thing that saved the truck from being rolled down the hill so they could "work on it more" was a 4 hook CLUB on the steering wheel they couldn't get all 4 hooks off so they finally gave up after going through my owner's manual for any ID info (which we don't keep in any vehicle parked outside). Anyway, it took a couple weeks at the repair shop plus I put an actual ACTIVE VIPER alarm system installed on it so if it gets bumped or messed with it sets off the alarm and shows a display FOB on my key ring. Even close thunder will make it chirp the warning before it goes to full alarm mode. Yeah I though the little red light protected my F 150, not so true. Plus an FYI an active alarm system WILL drain your battery after a week or so of not running the engine. Good Luck!
They probably weren’t looking for ID, they were probably seeing if you left the valet key in the book.

My '04 did that. It was a shorted battery. Replaced the battery, problem fixed...good luck.

My 03 will drain th Batt in a couple weeks if I double-pressed the fob (activating the anti-theft...?). What a pain. I can leave doors open, windows down, key in ignition in my neighborhood... why would I double lock it?
I don't know....

UPDATE, PROB SOLVED.

When it is time to replace get the Motorcraft BXT65-850 from OReilly or Ford Dealer (sometimes the dealer is cheaper than OReilly). The 100 month pro-rated warranty really comes in handy. Mine died about 3.2 years in, just after the 36 month free replacment warranty expired but the 100 month pro-rated warranty brought the replacement price down by $100.

bxt65850-fro.jpg

UPDATE, PROB SOLVED.
I had two of these switches fail on me over the years. It is a common problem. They are easy to replace and the part is inexpensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had two of these switches fail on me over the years. It is a common problem. They are easy to replace and the part is inexpensive.

Imagine all the people behind you thinking you're some idiot riding the brakes with your left foot...

Back