Project Hazey | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Hazey

@CDW6212R If you make that swap happen, I'm going to read the entire thread.

For now, I'll check for any loose parts and pieces in there; need better weather though! Cold and rainy, rainy and cold, for the foreseeable future...

Money isn't a problem for me any more, thank God for an infinite amount of work to do, ha ha. Sourcing parts is fairly easy too, but the labor is gonna be the tough one.

@DemonMudder I'll pay whatever it costs, I bought it because I want it! I hope you can get yours back in good shape too.

In case it IS the timing chains, I'll have to start reading up and keeping an eyeball on parts, and pay attention to that rattle. If it gets worse, I'll know for sure what it is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was my issue, every shop wanted $2k and that was with me buying the parts myself rather than their parts, if they'd even do which was only one or two. Labor for that is hard to find at least around me, and it ain't cheap. But fair, I do get that, if I had a place to keep it, I would've kept mine as a trail rig, still want to! But until I have a place of my own, I can't, no where to put it. But I get fixing it cause ya want it, I was so desperate to fix mine, and I hope it comes back to me in one piece too! lol
if it doesnt turn out to be anything else, try the tensioners first, that may help ease it for a while longer, I tried that myself it sounded good for a couple minutes, but I was too late on mine. Doesnt hurt to check your oil pan, look for any chunks of plastic in it

@DemonMudder Good idea, to check the oil pan. I should have thought of that. Need spring time to hurry up, those parking brake actuators are still sitting on my work table! Good weather, where y'at?

Thankfully for me, my ma doesn't mind me keeping my fleet at her place as long as I help pay the bills. I want a sheltered work space though, even just a carport or a tent or some such, with a concrete floor, would be better than nothing. Oh well, once it starts to warm up a bit, I'll get to these things.

If you fellas have any other suggestions, shoot. Meanwhile, I'll use the cold month to read up and get ready for wrenching season!

@DemonMudder Good idea, to check the oil pan. I should have thought of that. Need spring time to hurry up, those parking brake actuators are still sitting on my work table! Good weather, where y'at?

Thankfully for me, my ma doesn't mind me keeping my fleet at her place as long as I help pay the bills. I want a sheltered work space though, even just a carport or a tent or some such, with a concrete floor, would be better than nothing. Oh well, once it starts to warm up a bit, I'll get to these things.

If you fellas have any other suggestions, shoot. Meanwhile, I'll use the cold month to read up and get ready for wrenching season!
Yes and no, it's Florida, the weather is always bipolar, bit too hot right now, supposed to be colder and wet starting sometime tomorrow through the weekend which will be nice

My mom doesnt mind as long as it's used, shes not a fan of vehicles (things in general) just sitting around uselessly, not by her choice. We have a neighbor down the street that complains about every lil' thing she can, her dad still comes around and does all her house/lawn work too, even came into our fence and all the way into our backyard, just to find something to call the city on us for. We now have no trespassing signs, motion lights, and privacy fences in the back. I'm honestly suprised she didnt complain about the Rado for 3 weeks while I worked on it after the crash, maybe she felt bad about that one? Only reason shes let me keep it is because she had the idea to give it to my brother rather than buy him something else. Which is funny cause its going to cost as much as I got it for in general at the least to fix it sadly. Hopefully I can help him find a bronco or something later on instead, that's what he wants more, but that way I get a trail rig again, rather than a 2wd that I'm lifting and throwing a winch on lol
Glad ya got that bit lucky! And hopefully it can warm up for ya soon enough to get everything back in straight running order! Though still have enough time to research and plan things

The external tensioners are the main weak links, because their internal springs weaken over time which allows the chains to have more slack. The excess chain slack is what speeds up the wear of the cassette guides. So just keeping up with those two external tensioners is a big step.

The rear one is very easy to change, given a new gasket and pulling the inner fender away to access it. The front one takes some time and extra care. You have to get access to it, but without disturbing the water sensor which is right next to it. Do not move that sensor or the other one on the thermostat housing at all, don't risk making them loose at all. If they loosen there will be a leak that requires replacing that entire thermostat housing assembly.

this one has a small ticking from behind the dash at 2500, but its been doing it a long time and still pulling strong, so idk. compression strong everything is bueno

@DintDobbs I just thought to say take a look at your oil spray bars see if they are clogged
If so it will clatter in mid rpm
And right as it is changing gears

Just my experience

@DintDobbs I just thought to say take a look at your oil spray bars see if they are clogged
If so it will clatter in mid rpm
And right as it is changing gears

Just my experience
would it be intermittnt? i notice it sonetimes but not other times, and not as its changing hears, like on an on ramp kind of situation or a hill

would it be intermittnt? i notice it sonetimes but not other times, and not as its changing hears, like on an on ramp kind of situation or a hill
I would say if you suspect them then look
Mine did it at 2000 rpm under no load
Rev it in neutral you will know rite away
But looking with your own eyes it the way I'd go
There is no additive that will clean those out trust me

Seafoam did I pretty good job with mine it my of been lifter noise I'm looking in to cleaning mine when weather gets warmer.

ok good to know will check to see if it did it like yours. might pull the VC to see then

The good news is that the timing chain isn't what was making the rattle noise. Didn't isolate what it was, but it wasn't the timing chain!

The bad news is that the blend door actuator stripped some teeth, but at least it's stuck in the heat position, so that makes things a bit more tolerable until it's replaced. EATC self-test gave me code 024, which is logical under the circumstances.

Notice the tiny gear at the bottom, beside the electric motor. It's missing 3 teeth, which are shown in various places in the pic. Common issue, gotta order up a new one!

20230309_122830.jpg

The good news is that the timing chain isn't what was making the rattle noise. Didn't isolate what it was, but it wasn't the timing chain!

The bad news is that the blend door actuator stripped some teeth, but at least it's stuck in the heat position, so that makes things a bit more tolerable until it's replaced. EATC self-test gave me code 024, which is logical under the circumstances.

Notice the tiny gear at the bottom, beside the electric motor. It's missing 3 teeth, which are shown in various places in the pic. Common issue, gotta order up a new one!

View attachment 439697
Rebuild your factory unit using the gears from the cheap unit Off amazon ebay et cetera

@donalds I picked up the Dorman from the parts store for cheap; if it fails prematurely as I've heard they tend to, then I'll rip the tiny gear out and use it in the original. I noticed AutoZone had a Dorman EATC gear kit listed, but it was unavailable, so I just grabbed the whole thing.

After plugging in but before installing the Dorman, the EATC self test gave me code 025, but I had the cable unplugged with the engine running, and that may have affected it. It moves as it should and I get hot and cold air again. My passengers will be happy.

Well, the parking brake cable length issues seem to be common enough on this forum, so I'll go ahead and share some numbers.

I purchased one ACDelco 18P1514 (right side parking brake cable) and one ACDelco 18P2638 (left side parking brake cable) and observed while installing that the 18P2638 is about three-ish inches too long for my '00 Limited. They were both direct fits, but the left side one sure gave me some some trouble!

The lengths listed on RockAuto.com for these parts are as follows:

18P1514: 78.1"
18P2638: 42.1"

Toyed around with it a bit (a lot) and figured out that I had somehow positioned it incorrectly; the length is correct. Hazey is now in perfect working order. Corrected previous post to reflect.

Now, time to do some thing about those shock absorbers, slap a 2" lift and some 31's on her, and she's as done as she needs to be!

RTZ 2" re-indexed torsion bar keys
RTZ 2" lifted shackles
Rancho RS5000X's on all four corners

Put a scratch on the rear bumper using a farm jack, dumb. Forgot I was trying to keep this one "nice". Don't care, metal isn't showing.

Next... spacers, baby! After that, set of 5 matching tires.

Still chasing a very slow coolant leak. Inspected reservoir and hose, replaced hose clamps and radiator cap, still not fixed. Evidence of leaking is not visible inside or outside the engine compartment after long periods (8+ hours, up to a week) parked on pavement, but with such a slow leak (about 4 oz. a day) it might evaporate before it would show. Or, worse, it might be going somewhere... else. But by now I'd have expected some kind of evidence of that, if so.

Check for white reside around the thermo housing can be hard leak to spot

Did you ever get rear wiper working? Often it is the glass Closed switch in the rear hatch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check it out!

I forgot it had a rear wiper, much like I forgot that the radio face only works intermittently. The rear wiper might randomly start working like the Sport's did, and it might randomly stop working again like the Sport's did.

Small stuff, small stuff. I'll get it worked out, uh, "eventually"!

Back