Timing chain tensioner | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain tensioner

Your brake bleeders are factory. Your fuel and brake line hardware is all sae nominal tubing. Think about it. Is someone going to make a metric thread brake bleeder with an SAE head?

Your truck is guaranteed to have SAE fasteners.
Not disagreeing but maybe not. I'm going to get under there with both my metric and fractional flare nut wrench sets and check.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Except 10mm. That one is unique and always vanishes from the tool set.
Best bet is just to fling it into the darkest corner right off the bat. It’s gonna happen anyways. Might as well be on your terms.

Best bet is just to fling it into the darkest corner right off the bat. It’s gonna happen anyways. Might as well be on your terms.
I totally agree with this.

Thinking about recently having the upper and lower intake manifold apart. If I remember... "IF".. I think the small screws that hold some of the wiring and vacuum lines in place are 9/32.. I recall saying WTF a few times in that area.

The Ford 8.8 cover bolts are all 1/2” heads IIRC

The entire 8.8 is SAE.

Not disagreeing but maybe not. I'm going to get under there with both my metric and fractional flare nut wrench sets and check.
Why are you so resistant to the idea that there’s surely SAE hardware you’ve run across, you just didn’t know it? No need to crawl under anything.

Believe me now? How your wrenches fit on something can be entirely meaningless. Not a reliable way to differentiate.

AADEC47A-77EC-4511-9CFA-1D7230271668.jpeg FC51CBA9-F242-44A2-A2A9-F1D00A1783DF.jpeg

Not resistant, just curious. I'm sure you have better things to do than commenting further. Like taking a sh**.

BTW, I also have a Starrett digital caliper but made the mistake of "loaning" it out almost one year ago.

Not resistant, just curious. I'm sure you have better things to do than commenting further. Like taking a sh**.

BTW, I also have a Starrett digital caliper.
Be rude just because you’re obviously wrong. You don’t need a caliper. ( That’s also a fairly garbage way to tell, as well)

I’m sure there’s something better you could do with that caliper as well. Hope it’s a 12” model. (You might consider it a 30.48cm caliper)

3E7FF60C-EC18-4574-9786-835E1C8D5C0F.jpeg

Wow this thread sure did take a turn. Truthfully I have two sets if the standard doesn't fit I use the metric I don't really care.

My signature would be 14 pages long if I could use all the great quotes.

im rofl here man we need a thread dedicated to some great EF quotes and a good amount would be by mike lol

im rofl here man we need a thread dedicated to some great EF quotes and a good amount would be by mike lol
I had the same idea.

FYI @Flashflood OP,

EVERY part of your Explorer is metric. Only part I ever found that was fractional were 3/8" brake bleeder screws, and those may have been replaced by the previous owner. Anyone, if I'm mistaken please LMK.
I did find some SAE bolts in my Ex. 7/16", I think, in the inside of the driver's door. What I'm wondering, if there are several sizes where the metric and SAE (inch) sizes are so close, that due to tolerances in manufacture, or wear, the bolts aren't all one thing or another.

I did find some SAE bolts in my Ex. 7/16", I think, in the inside of the driver's door. What I'm wondering, if there are several sizes where the metric and SAE (inch) sizes are so close, that due to tolerances in manufacture, or wear, the bolts aren't all one thing or another.
7/16 is close to 11mm

Absolutely. Head size is not an accurate way to determine. In industrial maintenance a lot of bolts have grade markings that are telling, but the only definitive way for the average person to know for sure is a bolt and nut thead guage set, like this:

Nut & Bolt Thread Checker - 26 Male/Female Gauges - 14 Inch & 12 Metric for Quickly Checking Nuts and Bolts Inch or Metric and Verifying The Size https://a.co/d/0S9bdP7

To remove the fastener just use whatever fits best.

Except 10mm. That one is unique and always vanishes from the tool set.
Magnet on a long stick. That sucker's not getting away! Got it right after a screw (from the truck) went into my back tire and I had to get it plugged.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Magnet on a stick works great for most sockets, but those 10mm ones open an interdimensional portal to Narnia

Back