Tbars Project "X" begins | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tbars Project "X" begins

First and foremost my ranger is my favorite truck...I will not let any of you fools try to talk me into changing my new project into some rock beast, lmao...this rig is just to go camping and fishing in and thats it...it took all the money i had to buy and the seller was great and is a new member here....thanks rick, the seller that is...

I have never as much sat in an explorer and today was the first time i opened a door on one...

It needs alot of tlc and a new 4.0 motor as the current one is seized...It needs a bit of paint work as the clear coat is shot and the front fenders are a different color....

Notes
1) Kbabiak, you need to make some pre-made shipping tags with my name on them as I will be needed a bunch of little parts...
2) Admin Rick, I sent my new membership dues in at 8am this morning as i was hoping to be a new X owner...
3)All elite members, I am going to need alot of help and parts for my new to me, 91 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...:bounce:...On this day in history, "Tbars Project X", became the second most viewed X in the Explorer Registry with 26,497 views...:party:

...GJarrett and "Herc" are still #1 with 59,953 views...:salute:

..In other news, My sawsall and I started the first of many sessions to follow on the X...I just reduced the front dual shocks to one on each side...I also replaced the POS Autozone caliper pins with some from Pepboy's...:hammer:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

...I guess I now need to add some recently discovered news...:rolleyes:

...Saturday afternoon I was coming out of the Beach area on the freeway and someone jumped in front of me and I hit the brakes hard...My truck pulled to the left and by the time it stopped, it was really pulling to the left...:eek:

...after a quick review I noticed that my caliper pins were coming out and also sticking...This is the reason for the new caliper pins...I then cut the front, rear, shock mounts off and posted my previous message...

...After doing so, I was heading over to pick up my ranger that has a rear brake failure...I tested the X by speeding up a bit and hitting the brakes hard...I noticed a little pulling still but figured I could worry about it later as I need to get the Ranger back and running...

...I made it to the first stop light and hit the brakes...I got a wierd wobble so I turned around to go tighten my lug nuts on the left side..(it could happen even to me)...

...I tightened them and they were already tight...:scratch:...Crawled under to do some inspecting and I now have a new surprise...

...Yes, that is my drivers side radius arm, snapped on the top ear, just in front of the plating...I gonna just wait and see what happens from here...

...I don't know wether to have it welded back up, swap a new one in, or find some better ones in the future and leave it parked till I can afford them..:dunno:

get some better ones when you can afford it since welding the old one it will probably break again. Finding another of the same type (I believe those are the superlift RA's) it will probably break again sometime in the future.

so i would think getting custom ones like what RJ has might a more permanent fix.

...:bounce:...On this day in history, "Tbars Project X", became the second most viewed X in the Explorer Registry with 26,497 views...:party:

...GJarrett and "Herc" are still #1 with 59,953 views...:salute:

..In other news, My sawsall and I started the first of many sessions to follow on the X...I just reduced the front dual shocks to one on each side...I also replaced the POS Autozone caliper pins with some from Pepboy's...:hammer:

tbars4;
Not to change the subject, but what about this one with 410k:D
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18595
It's closed now but it is a classic.

...Bob, This is only for the "Explorer Registry" section...That is the "Everything under the Sun"section...;)...That thread is referred often and when anyone mention's "Herculiner"...:D

...Cyber, I have been wanting to upgrade my RA's and possibly Heim them...Two thoughts I was thinking about for when I could do them were, rebuild these with Heims like BKennedy or, as I've been meaning to do for over a year, get ahold of Nodnarb...

...The bummer is, both trucks are now out of commission so Truckhaven is looking bleak for me...If Spotterguy didn't have his hands full already, I would see if he could help me out....

I stand corrected.

...Cyber, I have been wanting to upgrade my RA's and possibly Heim them...Two thoughts I was thinking about for when I could do them were, rebuild these with Heims like BKennedy or, as I've been meaning to do for over a year, get ahold of Nodnarb...

or you could look at James Duff and get there Extended Ra's with the Heims already done. Same ones like 90ranajo is running even tho they are almost 600.00 tho

not sure what Brandon charges for his tho.

...Bob, This is only for the "Explorer Registry" section...That is the "Everything under the Sun"section...;)...That thread is referred often and when anyone mention's "Herculiner"...:D

...The bummer is, both trucks are now out of commission so Truckhaven is looking bleak for me...If Spotterguy didn't have his hands full already, I would see if he could help me out....

brandon could whip you up a set for pretty cheap if you wanted.

just talked to him, if you can pull it off and bring it to him to measure up he can do a hiemed setup for $600.

...Could you ask him how much for both...Hopefully he can make them non heimed, with the option to heim later???...I am short on free cash right now but would like a number to shoot for...:biggthump

...Could you ask him how much for both...Hopefully he can make them non heimed, with the option to heim later???...I am short on free cash right now but would like a number to shoot for...:biggthump

600 for hiemed, ill ask him how much for bushing. he would need one of yours to take measurements.

...I can get them off and run the broken one out to him, but I reallyt don't have a placed to leave it jacked up over night...:dunno:

So maybe i missed something, but what issue did the rear front shock cause?

...The front, front and rear dual shocks , were installed installed by the previous owner and they were improperly installed...The shocks were not even parallel to each other and were randomly mounted...It might have looked decent till you really looked at it..

...After I got the front end good enough to get a proper alignment the problems showed up...The Coil hoop design would work with a full width SAS but you wouldn't need dual shocks now aday's with shocks like Fox and others...In short, the dual shock, coil hoop that is on here should have never been installed...

...After getting it aligned from this /--\ to this |--| , the rear front shock mount would hit the brake caliper while turning, pushing the fluid out of the caliper, up the brake line...I would then get brake fade...The other new problem would be limited steering...:eek:

...Eventually I will do a different single shock setup and I may just leave the hoop on there for a future front end mod...:shifty_ey

you broke it!!!!!!!!! i've been waiting this to happen ever since i broke three (3) superlift radius arms.

i got my radius arms from McNeil racing (Perrysfabnfiber.com) for $300. i gave hime the measurements of the superlift ones and they made a replacement pair. uses the superlift mounting brackets still. but they're pretty strong

...Yea, I knew you would be proud...:p:

..Thank goodness it broke at home before heading out to Truckhaven...At least now I will have one less thing to worry about breaking on the front end...

...Woohoo...I just got my notice from DMV for renewal...The fees are $69 bucks this year but, it's time to do the full smog test again..

...I know I need to get a new IAC as mine is about done, and new RA's so I can drive it there...:rolleyes:

Well, today I chose this thread to pick to read from beginning to end...

A great thread, I salute you sir. Sounds like you took an all ready beefed up Explorer, and just did what the former owner didn't feel like doing.

Like I said in the PM earlier, I hope to get a 4x4 sometime soon, I'm tired of "keeping it on teh streets", especially with all the country roads and fields here in Southern Georgia.

Keep it up man, I'm definitely subscribing.

...:eek:...The whole thing???...Thank you for taking the time to read this thread...:salute:

...The X is about 1 1/2 years old to me now and it's amazing how the projects on it never seem to end...:confused:

...Just curious, are there a lot of red X's showing up instead of pictures???

Well my internet connection is shi-tay to the tenth power... It's what I get for living in a complex where 1000 people share one wire... sigh...

When I read through it, I was seeing most of the pictures, but then there were times it felt as if maybe there should've been pictures but there weren't. I'm using Firefox, and if a picture doesn't show on the forums, it's just not there. No red X or anything. At least not on my end.

Someone with I.E. or something else may want to chime in.

Yes the whole thing... well 99% of it, I skipped through the first two pages looking for your paint posts, but then I caught myself reading for a few hours, lol.

...latest update...I purchased some newer Superlift Radius Arms and haven't had any time to put them on...Work is crazy for the next couple weeks so my Ranger is getting worked hard...

...I did buy something new that I can use in both the "X" and the Ranger though...:D
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237747

Back