How to: - Lean condition procedure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Lean condition procedure

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

2000StreetRod

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
Background

P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)

The above diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) can be the result of intake leaks, low fuel pressure, faulty MAF sensor, faulty TPS, faulty injectors, faulty ignition or bad O2 sensors.

Many forum members arbitrarily replace components in the hopes of correcting the reported lean condition. Such a method is frequently expensive and often fails to correct the situation. I advocate testing expensive components (if possible) before replacement. Inexpensive (but usually adequate) test tools can be purchased for less than the cost of an unnecessarily replaced component and the test tools can be reused for future diagnostics.

This procedure attempts to resolve an engine lean condition with minimal time and expense by the home mechanic. It assumes that avoidance of cost is a higher priority than expenditure of time. Otherwise, the owner would simply pay a mechanic to solve the problem.

Unmetered intake air is air that enters the combustion chamber without passing thru and being measured by the MAF sensor. Since the PCM adjusts the fuel mixture based on data received from the MAF sensor, unmetered air results in a lean condition. For small leaks the impact on the engine is greatest at idle when the vacuum is high and the metered airflow is small. As the metered airflow increases the unmetered air contribution becomes less significant.

The V6 SOHC engine gaskets between the head and the intake manifold dry and shrink with age. While less common and to a lesser extent, the same thing occurs with the V6 OHV engine. The gaskets are inexpensive but their replacement is labor intensive.

Procedure

Check all your vacuum hoses for cracks or loose connections. Check the main intake tube from MAF sensor to intake manifold for loose connections/leaks. One potential leak source frequently overlooked is the O ring that seals the EGR tube to the upper intake manifold. Another is the EGR valve gasket. Others are a failed diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator/damper and the power brake booster. Some members spray starter fluid, propane or some other aerosol near connections on a cold engine and listen for engine speed flares to detect leaks. Its hard to use this method for the head to manifold leaks because of difficult access. It's also unreliable because the PCM quickly compensates for changes in idle speed by adjusting the IAC valve. The most reliable method of detecting vacuum leaks is with the use of a simple smoke generator: easy home made smoke generator
Here's a link to a list of vacuum lines: Intake manifold vacuum lines

The PCM relies on the TPS for detecting rapid change in throttle plate opening. When the accelerator is rapidly depressed the PCM momentarily widens the injector pulse width to keep the engine from stumbling under the increased load. The TPS is easily checked by performing the TPS Test Procedure.

The MAF sensor output allows the PCM to determine the load on the engine and establish the proper air/fuel ratio. It can be checked by performing the MAF sensor test procedure

You can test the fuel pressure by performing the
Fuel pressure test procedure.

With lean codes indicated for both banks: It is unlikely that your fuel injectors would fail on both banks at the same time unless clogged by fuel deposits. See Why change fuel filter?

When a spark plug does not fire and ignite the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber the unburned oxygen results in a lean condition detected by the O2 sensor in the bank associated with the bad plug.

You can check the O2 sensors by monitoring their voltage output with a scanner but its unlikely that both banks would go bad at the same time.

If you have performed the above and still have lean conditions reported for both banks then you probably have an intake leak. The leak could be in the vacuum hoses or manifold/IAC valve gaskets.

If by the process of elimination you're left with intake manifold gasket leaks as the cause of your lean condition then see Starting my 00M12 Installation . Just ignore the parts about the timing chain tensioner and restrictor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in my 99 explorer sport i Have codes reading Bank one only would this most likly be the o2 sensor or a problem with the intake

Only Bank 1 lean

in my 99 explorer sport i Have codes reading Bank one only would this most likly be the o2 sensor or a problem with the intake

If you have the SOHC V6 and the intake manifold gaskets have never been replaced there's a good chance that's the problem. The PCM corrects the fuel mixture with fuel trims for each bank. When the required correction exceeds an established limit the lean code is reported. Both banks could be lean but bank 2 could still be below the threshold. If you had a scanner you could read the short and long term fuel trims to know for sure.

I suggest that you check all of your vacuum hoses for cracks, loose connections or disconnected ends with emphasis on the passenger side (bank 1). If they are all good, you have the SOHC V6 and the original intake gaskets then I suggest you replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. Another symptom of leaking intake manifold gaskets is very high idle at cold start - especially in winter.

my guess is intake gaskets. it was kinda a pain to install but the $40 or so made my engine run SMOOTH

If you had a scanner you could read the short and long term fuel trims to know for sure.

how do i know if my fuel trims are in the correct level?

fuel trims

Off the top of my head I'd say your long term fuel trims for both banks should no more than 5% rich or lean from neutral and one bank should not differ from the other bank by more than 5%. The short term fuel trims will cycle continuously but the average for one bank should not be significantly different (more than 5%) from the other bank.

ok thanks for the info, iv gone to check the levels and here are my results, i presume they are way too high?

Attachments

• 31082010266 (Small).jpg
    31082010266 (Small).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 6,842
  • 31082010265 (Small).jpg
    31082010265 (Small).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 7,007

The link for the fuel pressure test is not working. Thanks

2000StreetRod,
This is a great thread. I am getting these codes. I've done many of the diagnostics but cannot locate the leak. I have the SOHC v6 motor. What do you think?

-Both precat O2 sensors replaced with new. Post cat do not exist (offroad Y pipe), and are shut off by tune
-Upper and lower intake gaskets replaced
-New fuel injectors and fuel pump
-cleaned MAF

The gaskets were bad for a fact, because my truck was running horribly and I replaced the upper + lower intake gaskets and it was cured, but truck is still throwing code.

The truck doesn't start as easy anymore. Takes a little more cranking, but once on it starts fine.

Any ideas?

PCV system in order?

PCV system in order?

What do you mean by this exactly? Tomorrow I am going to check the connections at the PCV and to the intake. Also, I am going to perform the TPS and MAF tests. The upper/lower intake manifold gaskets have already been replaced. I may also change the gasket around the IAC mount and upper intake.

The EGR valve is new, but people mention a EGR tube that can go bad. Can someone elaborate on this tube? Is this what goes into the upper intake?

EGR tube O ring

Did you replace the EGR O ring when you replaced the intake gaskets? It can be damaged when separating the upper intake manifold from the EGR tube. It gets dry and very brittle with age. Try test spraying where the tube enters the upper intake manifold.

Do you have a stock intake configuration? Some members eliminate the hose that goes from the main intake to the right valve cover port. They install a breather on the right valve cover that allows unmetered air (air that has not passed thru the MAF sensor) into the engine.

Did you replace the EGR O ring when you replaced the intake gaskets? It can be damaged when separating the upper intake manifold from the EGR tube. It gets dry and very brittle with age. Try test spraying where the tube enters the upper intake manifold.

Do you have a stock intake configuration? Some members eliminate the hose that goes from the main intake to the right valve cover port. They install a breather on the right valve cover that allows unmetered air (air that has not passed thru the MAF sensor) into the engine.

You know, I saw that o-ring but I did not replace it. I did, however, run a new line of silicone caulking around the base of it since that's what it looked like from the factory. I will replace this O ring and see wht happens.

I have an aftermarket intake config. Amoils filter, C&L MAF housing, and custom tube. I do run that set up. Plus up the hole and place a breather on the valve cover; however, this is the first mod I've done to the truck in '05 and just recently had these codes.

Yesterday I cleaned and tested the MAF and TPS. Both tested great. I reset the codes, but got them again this morning. The hunt continues....

Also-By test spray, do you mean spray carb cleaner into there on a cold engine and see if rpm’s change?

vacuum lines

You know, I saw that o-ring but I did not replace it. I did, however, run a new line of silicone caulking around the base of it since that's what it looked like from the factory. I will replace this O ring and see wht happens. . .

Also-By test spray, do you mean spray carb cleaner into there on a cold engine and see if rpm’s change?

Just a note for the future. Silicone fumes contaminate O2 sensors. If you use silicone anywhere in the intake system make sure it is fully cured before running the engine.

Yes, use carb cleaner or equivalent.

Here's a link to a post that lists the vacuum lines on the SOHC V6: Intake manifold vacuum lines

Just a note for the future. Silicone fumes contaminate O2 sensors. If you use silicone anywhere in the intake system make sure it is fully cured before running the engine.

Yes, use carb cleaner or equivalent.

Here's a link to a post that lists the vacuum lines on the SOHC V6: Intake manifold vacuum lines

Yes sir- understandable. I let it cure the 1 hour it said on the package before running anything. It’s the RTV black sealant from advance auto parts. Thanks for the link. This is internesting. I’ll spray a few sprays in each area to see what I find.

BTW- Your posts are fantastic. Your help threads have helped a ton in understanding and diagnosing my engine. Hats off to you!

'97 explorer sport compatible?

Is all of this information relevant for my 97 Explorer Sport? I went to get smogged, and it failed because of P0171 and P0174. I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks

VIS is only difference

Is all of this information relevant for my 97 Explorer Sport? I went to get smogged, and it failed because of P0171 and P0174. I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks

The 1997 and 1998 SOHC V6 upper intake manifold differs a little from the 1999 thru 2001 models. Yours has a variable intake system (VIS) that allows the PCM to change the length of the intake runners via a vacuum motor. It is common for the intake manifold gaskets (upper and lower) to dry and contract with age and cold causing unmetered air to enter the intake manifold. The result is your PCM reported DTCs.

I have a 98 and I'm getting the same codes. (posted earlier on my own thread, didn't see this one going)
I changed the intake gaskets and I'm still getting those two codes. The vacuum lines are different too with the 98 than that of the 99. I actually put in a 99 engine and had to swap the wire harness, intake and vacuum lines over. I didn't realize it up front and didn't make notes on the vac lines before pulling apart. Is there a vac diagram somewhere for the 98? I need to try finding a leak. I get some stumbling occassionally when trying to accelerate, especially after it has rained.

BTW..the posts on here are great! Very helpful. Thanks!

The 1997 and 1998 SOHC V6 upper intake manifold differs a little from the 1999 thru 2001 models. Yours has a variable intake system (VIS) that allows the PCM to change the length of the intake runners via a vacuum motor. It is common for the intake manifold gaskets (upper and lower) to dry and contract with age and cold causing unmetered air to enter the intake manifold. The result is your PCM reported DTCs.

So your suggestion would be to change the gaskets? I just replaced the fuel filter about 2 months ago, and I cleaned the MAF sensor. The gaskets are pretty cheap, I guess I'll just make a Sunday out of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

last step

So your suggestion would be to change the gaskets? I just replaced the fuel filter about 2 months ago, and I cleaned the MAF sensor. The gaskets are pretty cheap, I guess I'll just make a Sunday out of it.

That's the last step in the procedure and takes quite a while. I suggest that you follow the procedure.

Back