The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The definative '96 - '01 PATS, Fuel Pressure, Injector, and Wiring Harness Thread

Not me, maybe someone else.

I have a complete '00 everything except for a '97 PCM trying to overcome PATS. I have the original '00 PCM also but I, James Henson and SCT combined were unable to overcome the PATS. Bought the early PCM as Plan 'B'.

If you have info on the EGR differences early/late this would be a wonderful place to post it.

I would try to go with the fuel system type which is easiest to get into the vehicle. Does your Volvo have two fuel lines, a return style fuel system? If it does, I would use the 97 PCM and swap the few items on the engine from a 96-98 302. That would be easy to do, and then the PATS isn't part of the system any longer.

I am planning to use a 1998 PCM for my 91 Lincoln, and I may have similar issues as you have regarding the PATS. Am I correct to guess that you had been trying to duplicate all of the PATS, wiring and all, just to get the PCM to function? Then you wanted to change the program to one with the PATS disabled?

I ask because just replicating the PATS system would be very tough, for a swap to another vehicle. My Lincoln would have the same problem. If that's the case, you and I might do better to install just pre-PATS wiring etc, and then the swap is more like other engine swaps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The CMP sensor (also called synchronizer) on the V8 and OHV V6 is a hall effect sensor. It requires power (red wire to PCM power relay), chassis ground (black/white to chassis), and pulse output (dark blue/orange to PCM pin 85).

The 99-01 sensor isn't quite the same sensor. It produces a different type of signal, and thus only needs two wires. I forgot those details, I learned that reading a thread where a Mustang owner was installing an aftermarket operating system on his pushrod Ford. He could only use one of the two sensors for that aftermarket system.

I am going to stick with the '00 fuel system that I have. The Volvo that the engine/trans is going in has a fuel return line and pressure regulation is solved by adding an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a return line output. It feeds the 65 psi later injection system but can be adjusted back to the earlier 45 if needed without concern about injectors and connectors.

So . . . my injectors are 65 psi, harness is correct for the 65 psi system, regulation is handled by external regulator, PCM is '97 (45 psi).

I think I now know that I have to install the early CMP (3 wire) to drive the early PCM. That I can do.

Now . . . what else do I do?

Hey guys just got home from the shop it starts and runs :D. I have a 99 motor with 96 fuel rail and injectors 98 motor harness modified it by seperating the alt. A/C oil pressure and im using a 97 pcm a 98 gcm for the trans all in a 97 sport that was a sohc :eek:

Congratulations!

Now, what Crankshaft Position Sensor are you running?

Do you have any issues with the EGR valve?

What modifications did you have to make or did all this plug and play?

Im using a 98 cam syncro and a 99 crank sensor and other than the wiring I mentioned it was plug and play that said I only started it and romped on it a few times :D. I had the muffler and tail pipes off cause im still working on hangers. I also have the 98 motor harness plugged into the 99 trans harness and while I didn't move the truck I did run the lift up enough to put it in gear and make sure it did go in drive and reverse. As far as the egr it seems to be fine so when I go in tonight im gonna check all the nuts an bolts and i still gotta deal with the clutch fan:splat: and i gotta cracked fuel line:mad: . Other than hangers and a few passes with the tig the exhaust is about done so I'll try to take it for a spin :burnout: ;) tonight and let you all know how it works out.

PCM Connector (C202) Early vs Late

I really thought there would be some differences in the connector wiring to the PCM but as you can see in the following there is very little and that principally centers on the transmission connections. This is not a true picture because PATS and the transmission changes were added in '98 and the move to a revised fuel system occurred in '99. The year '98 probably belongs in another column.

View attachment 271635

View attachment 271636

View attachment 271637

I have the drawings for the Crankshaft Position Sensor that is my key issue and will publish the differences shortly.

Ok got the fuel line replaced with one from a ranger ;) the motor runs great and sounds real good but when I took it for a spin I got no up shift and when I let off it and then stepped back on it it stumbles. I have forward and reverse and im thinking this is probably an issue with the combination im running or the fact that I dont have a vss right now? :confused: any ideas?

The fact that the trans shift control leads changed in '98 had me wondering how that was going to work with an early PCM not expecting to see the new digital sensor. I discussed with the local Ford parts guy and he says the transmission harness changed significantly in '98.

That begets the question of how an early PCM without PATS will work with a later transmission.

Im open to ideas

Ok got the fuel line replaced with one from a ranger ;) the motor runs great and sounds real good but when I took it for a spin I got no up shift and when I let off it and then stepped back on it it stumbles. I have forward and reverse and im thinking this is probably an issue with the combination im running or the fact that I dont have a vss right now? :confused: any ideas?

The fact that the trans shift control leads changed in '98 had me wondering how that was going to work with an early PCM not expecting to see the new digital sensor. I discussed with the local Ford parts guy and he says the transmission harness changed significantly in '98.

That begets the question of how an early PCM without PATS will work with a later transmission.

The 96+ PCM's can handle any 4R70W, the trick is to have the pins at the trans harness match those of the trans connector itself. I posted the two below, 1997 versus 1998.

The range sensors are compatible, ignore what books or people tell you different. The early range sensors did have a recall, they were not sealed well enough and would corrode. The 98+ are a better design, and they all look about the same.

Those pin changes are what cause the wild trans functions, the signals are crossed. Find the chart and pull the pins from the trans harness as needed to move them to the proper new place for the 98+ trans connector, and it'll work.

Attachments

• 4R70W trans connector 97.jpg
    4R70W trans connector 97.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,759
  • 4R70W trans connector 98.jpg
    4R70W trans connector 98.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2,767

Awesome im gonna give it a shot in a few hrs and I'll post my results latter. If that works all I gotta do then is make the spedo work with the awd till I can deal with the 4406e.

Um im already using a 98/99 harness so should I make the pins match the 96/97 plug and if so do I need to do the same with the tranny side?

Um im already using a 98/99 harness so should I make the pins match the 96/97 plug and if so do I need to do the same with the tranny side?

Which parts do you have again, the PCM, engine harness, trans harness, trans? Hopefully something among those is different, to correct.

Hey guys just got home from the shop it starts and runs :D. I have a 99 motor with 96 fuel rail and injectors 98 motor harness modified it by seperating the alt. A/C oil pressure and im using a 97 pcm a 98 gcm for the trans all in a 97 sport that was a sohc :eek:

Thanks test point I got my hands full with my two year old and dinner lol

I'll be goin to the shop in a few and i guess I'll just check all my connectionsand the fluid and check back with you guys when i get home

Which parts do you have again, the PCM, engine harness, trans harness, trans? Hopefully something among those is different, to correct.

Hey guys just got home from the shop it starts and runs :D. I have a 99 motor(and trans) with 96 fuel rail and injectors 98 motor harness modified it by seperating the alt. A/C oil pressure and im using a 97 pcm a 98 gcm for the trans all in a 97 sport that was a sohc :eek:

Okay, that says that your 97 computer is receiving the wrong signals for the trans. The problem is currently between the PCM and the engine harness.

The chart above probably doesn't cover that, you need the charts for both PCM's, the 96/97 versus the 98-01 computers.

Most likely the PCM pin locations are different for the trans functions, you need to check those.

The C202 PCM connector pin out is in post #27 which displays both the early and late connections. That is what raised the flag for me to question the compatibility of early/late transmissions/PCM's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don,

You wouldn't have the early C115 connector drawing would you? If I can get my hands on that we will either eliminate that connection as an issue with the engine/body connections or document a solution.

Back