Colorado Colors Run 2013 - Planning and Discussion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 2013 - Planning and Discussion

I may be able to make Labor day weekend work. I would head up on Friday 8/23 after work. Spend the night in Mesquite and roll in to town just in time for the wedding I am going to in Colorado Springs on Saturday evening.

Spend a few days hanging out at my friends house. Maybe join up on your scouting runs. Play with everyone thru Labor day weekend and head out to Misquite on Monday, home on Tuesday 9/3.

Now I just need to convince the wife that she can get the time off work from her crappy job!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think im out on this one as the dates seem to be pointing towards the labor day weekend but any other weekend after that keep me on the list as denver is only a 6 hour drive so i can do weekend trips from base to there

PM me on future weekends and i will make it to one of the bunch.

So, who is planning on going to Colorado?

It looks like I don't need to be in Denver on Friday evening, so that opens up my plans.

How's this for a partial route:

Start: Leadville, CO
Route: Hagerman Pass to Diemer and Sellar Lakes and into Biglow. Next take normal roads down to Marble and do Crystal City to Schofield Pass and then part of Paradise Divide into Crested Butte. Only part of Paradise Divide because Schofield comes into the middle of it. Make sure to click the links for a great description of the trail with pictures and reports.

This gets us into Crested Butte.

Here's the map:
http://goo.gl/maps/VRe7b

We can either head up toward Aspen or down toward Gunnison from here.

I'm most likely in. Not looking for a job right now so unless something jumps up I should be there for Sat,-Sun. Labor day weekend. Any other time and I could not make it. I will be in Buena Vista next Wed.-Fri. Going to try to do Mt. Antero/Baldwin Lake, Grizzly Lake/Iron Chest/Pomeroy Lakes, and Williams Pass/Tincup.

Who's planning on camping and who is planning on hotel?

Participants
Scott B.
2TimingTom - camping

Interested
gmanpaint - hotel
Happy Jack
crazyflights
num5golden
MickeySpiers
05dakotatrac
mrboyle
Brian1
reapereviltwin
Turdle
bronchole

I can camp. I can stay in a roomin house if I don't have to float a loan on my truck to stay the night.

I like that route. I've been over Hagerman Pass before - beautiful scenery.

What day are you thinking of starting out in Leadville? I will be in Colorado most of the week before Labor Day - not sure where I will be exploring yet.

What day are you thinking of starting out in Leadville?

Open to suggestions. I have Friday 8/30 off and plenty of vacation time.

EDIT: while I do have that day off, it depends on if my kid's will be joining or not. If they are, I'd leave Denver Friday around 3:30. I could be in Leadville at about 5 (plus traffic).

For others with all of Friday to explore, I could put together some other trails that you could run earlier in the day so we could all meet in Leadville at about 5.

So I think you can count me as 100% in. I am leaving Los Angeles on Thursday 8/22 in the afternoon to head up to Colorado Springs. I will be at a wedding there so anytime after Sunday 8/25 thru Sunday evening-Monday 9/2 I am up for wheeling. I am heading towards home on Monday 9/2, but if our wheeling is towards home from Colorado Springs......... I am not due back at work until Wednesday 9/4.

I will be able to overnight camp out of the back of the Mountaineer but if we are still close enough to Colorado Springs I may decide to commute back and forth.

I have invited the guy I am staying with (Pete) to come wheel with us, he drives a built 1963 Wyllis wagon and goes by yellowsub. He won't know until the last second if he can do to work.

My wife (Renee) may or may not come with on the 4x4 trips and I am not sure if my son (James) will be there.

Hope to see you all on the trail. I am working on my traction bar and transfer case mount to make sure I am ready. Hope to get some good progress this weekend.

Dan

So I think you can count me as 100% in. I am leaving Los Angeles on Thursday 8/22 in the afternoon to head up to Colorado Springs. I will be at a wedding there so anytime after Sunday 8/25 thru Sunday evening-Monday 9/2 I am up for wheeling. I am heading towards home on Monday 9/2, but if our wheeling is towards home from Colorado Springs......... I am not due back at work until Wednesday 9/4.

I will be able to overnight camp out of the back of the Mountaineer but if we are still close enough to Colorado Springs I may decide to commute back and forth.

I have invited the guy I am staying with (Pete) to come wheel with us, he drives a built 1963 Wyllis wagon and goes by yellowsub. He won't know until the last second if he can do to work.

My wife (Renee) may or may not come with on the 4x4 trips and I am not sure if my son (James) will be there.

Hope to see you all on the trail. I am working on my traction bar and transfer case mount to make sure I am ready. Hope to get some good progress this weekend.

Dan

I will get to Colorado on Monday or Tuesday (26th or 27th) - we can spend a few days wheeling before going to Leadville.

Here's some trail ideas for you before Friday (I'll try to group them into areas):
Red Cone
Radical Hill
Saint John
Swan River

T-33a
Middle St Vrain
Coney Flats

Georgia Pass
Peak 10

Missouri Gulch

Use Trail Damage (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php) to look up these trails and more.

So, who is planning on going to Colorado?

It looks like I don't need to be in Denver on Friday evening, so that opens up my plans.

I do need to be in Denver on Friday afternoon/evening, but I will be free around 5:00 to head down to Leadville to meet up with everyone.

I could be in Leadville late Friday. Between 10:00 pm and midnight or so. Where are folks planning to spend the night Friday night?

The Delaware Hotel in Leadville is suppose to be pretty neat (I haven't been). It was built in 1886.

I'll be in the area this weekend on a different trip. Here's an overview of my routes:
http://goo.gl/maps/CEYwS
The lower part of Halfmoon Creek has a couple campgrounds- right where the yellow line meets the purple. I can report back on their condition after this weekend. I don't know about their availability- being Labor Day I'd imagine they are booked up if they have advance reservations. There's also some campgrounds around Turqouise Lake.

Per my trip this weekend, I'm planning on camping trailside somewhere in the Leadville area. I can scout out other good spots and report back.

I do need to be in Denver on Friday afternoon/evening, but I will be free around 5:00 to head down to Leadville to meet up with everyone.
While I was planning on leaving a little earlier than that, I could hang back and we could cruise up together. Are you driving one of your Rangers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I was planning on leaving a little earlier than that, I could hang back and we could cruise up together. Are you driving one of your Rangers?

Yes, the '93. (In the avatar <---)

Back