Explorer Sports 2015 Headlight Upgrade | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sports 2015 Headlight Upgrade

Looking at the Diode Dynamics products, for you to get the XML2(1420 lumens), which is 2x brighter than stock, you're paying $120 PER bulb. That's far from worth the fog light upgrade, IMO. I'd rather spend the $20-$30 PER on the 9011 to improve the headlights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I seldom had a need to use the fog lights on my 2011. Don't think I had them on more that a couple of times in the 3 years I had the vehicle. Not much of that stuff (fog) around here.
Remember that they are just 'fog' lights and not driving lights. On the MKT the fog lights serve as the DRL.

Peter

Fog Lamps

Yes, not much fog here in AZ, my '09 Eddie Bauer had them and they did help illuminate the sides of the road but the ones on my '14 don't seem to do much, perhaps it's the HID main lamps that over power them.

Thanks for the link MarkM but those are quite pricey for the limited use of the fog lamps.

TBill

I seldom had a need to use the fog lights on my 2011. Don't think I had them on more that a couple of times in the 3 years I had the vehicle. Not much of that stuff (fog) around here.
Remember that they are just 'fog' lights and not driving lights. On the MKT the fog lights serve as the DRL.

Peter

Same here regarding usage.

What I noticed, which is mentioned in one of the HID threads, is that they seem like they make distance vision worse since they light up the road right in front of the vehicle. This, in theory, makes your pupils contract, making distance objects darker in appearance.(all that was stated in the other thread).

I played around with that at night on an unlit road and it felt like the fogs did nothing for light output and may have made it worse. That's the last thing you want on a road through the woods. Sure the fogs lit up off to the side, but by the time a deer(for example) is seen due to the fog lights, it's already too late.

The fogs do make the Ex look better when they are on in my opinion, but since I cannot see them, it doesn't really affect me.

Will any 9011 bulb work in place of the 9005 bulb providing you do the mod?

I know about Philips 9011 HIR1 that it will fit Ford Explorer headlight without issues, once the modification is done to the plastic tab at 12 Clock position. I would assume that it would be the same for other 9011 bulbs too, but I do not want to say that with authority. Perhaps others can chime in.

Yes, but if you want certainty - buy the regular old Phillips 9011's. That's what I used. The "extra white" bulbs are bunk - light color does nothing to improve visibility except (possibly) in very limited circumstances such as extreme fog. And even that isn't scientifically certain. For everyday street use, lumens are lumens are lumens. 9011's have the same wattage, same heat output as 9005's, they are just much brighter in terms of lumens. This is far and away the fastest and cheapest way to upgrade the stock headlights, with no issues related to circuitry, splicing in elaborate HID wiring, voltage load issues, false dash warning lights, heat, housings, hi-beam problems, cut-off, aim, auto-on function, etc. This is only for headlights - I have no idea about the fogs and not interested in changing those. They are different bulbs anyway and there may not be a similar way to upgrade them with different bulb types.

You need to trim about 2 mm off the top tab of the 9011 bulb base. Follow the website schematic. The base and tabs are plastic - use a nail clipper rather than a Dremmel to trim it - it takes 30 seconds and avoids shavings, etc. Avoid handling the bulb with bare hands, as the oil from your hands will cause any halogen to blow out faster. After adjustment, the bulbs go in just like the 9005's - they are identical in every other way to the 9005's other than light output and that tab.

I did it several months ago and haven't had a single issue, nor have I read a single post anywhere about anyone having any compatibility issues. (As opposed to HID conversions discussions, which are full of threads highlighting post-conversion problems, legal issues, vendor rip-offs, and debates about other drivers being blinded by improper conversions.) Seems to me the worst way you can screw this up is to damage the base of your new 9011 bulb in the course of trimming the tab, in which case you're out what, $10-15 for a new bulb?

Yes, but if you want certainty - buy the regular old Phillips 9011's. That's what I used. The "extra white" bulbs are bunk - light color does nothing to improve visibility except (possibly) in very limited circumstances such as extreme fog. And even that isn't scientifically certain. For everyday street use, lumens are lumens are lumens. 9011's have the same wattage, same heat output as 9005's, they are just much brighter in terms of lumens. This is far and away the fastest and cheapest way to upgrade the stock headlights, with no issues related to circuitry, splicing in elaborate HID wiring, voltage load issues, false dash warning lights, heat, housings, hi-beam problems, cut-off, aim, auto-on function, etc. This is only for headlights - I have no idea about the fogs and not interested in changing those. They are different bulbs anyway and there may not be a similar way to upgrade them with different bulb types.

You need to trim about 2 mm off the top tab of the 9011 bulb base. Follow the website schematic. The base and tabs are plastic - use a nail clipper rather than a Dremmel to trim it - it takes 30 seconds and avoids shavings, etc. Avoid handling the bulb with bare hands, as the oil from your hands will cause any halogen to blow out faster. After adjustment, the bulbs go in just like the 9005's - they are identical in every other way to the 9005's other than light output and that tab.

I did it several months ago and haven't had a single issue, nor have I read a single post anywhere about anyone having any compatibility issues. (As opposed to HID conversions discussions, which are full of threads highlighting post-conversion problems, legal issues, vendor rip-offs, and debates about other drivers being blinded by improper conversions.) Seems to me the worst way you can screw this up is to damage the base of your new 9011 bulb in the course of trimming the tab, in which case you're out what, $10-15 for a new bulb?

Thanks for the info. I believe you about whiter light not really having an advantage. I just think they make the vehicle look a little nicer.

I wonder why they couldn't make the 9005 as bright as the 9011.

Obscene jester (great handle by the way) - I'm also curious about why ford didn't use 9011s. The 9011s are brighter due to chemical composition. But they're hardly more expensive than 9005s yet produce much more light. Ford could have easily used them. But I guess the economics of auto manufacturing sometimes requires saving $5 on a part and I have to think that was the only reason ford continues to outfit explorers with the soon to be obsolete 9005 bulb. If anyone knows why ford made that choice, I'd sure like to know why.

fog lights do not work because they are bright

they work because they are low to the ground

Obscene jester (great handle by the way) - I'm also curious about why ford didn't use 9011s. The 9011s are brighter due to chemical composition. But they're hardly more expensive than 9005s yet produce much more light. Ford could have easily used them. But I guess the economics of auto manufacturing sometimes requires saving $5 on a part and I have to think that was the only reason ford continues to outfit explorers with the soon to be obsolete 9005 bulb. If anyone knows why ford made that choice, I'd sure like to know why.

You're probably right. They most likely did it to save $5.

Glad you like the handle. I have seen copies over the years but I'm the original. I made it up back in 1999 when I used to run chat rooms on Hearme.com. I then used it for gaming, AOL and forums.

The Philips 9011's are really a great way to improve your lighting at very reasonable cost. I picked up my bulbs at a local AutoZone for around $50, then grabbed a spare set on eBay for just over $30. Once you trim the tab, the installation takes just a few minutes.

Here are couple pics I snapped in the driveway. Although it's hard to illustrate the improvement here, especially since I inadvertently stopped about 5' too short before taking the second one, there is a noticeable difference when you are on the road. Well worth it!

Stock Sylvania 9005's (1700 Lumens):

x2mno4.jpg

Philips 9011's (2500 Lumens):

107ugky.jpg

You can do a Bi-Xenon Retrofit for $200. And they will last years and bulbs are still cheaper than the halogen counter parts.

But those silver stars are an upgrade to oem counterpart, with the phillips being another step up.

Got mine delivered yesterday evening. I have not yet put them in the car and plan on doing so in next hour or so. You might be shocked like me to know that local Home Depot stores are also selling the same HIR1/9011 bulbs for about USD21.00 a pop. Wish I knew that earlier..

So I just put in the new HIR1/9011 Philips bulbs in my car. I took out my Sylvania ZXE but before taking the both out, i left one in just to compare. Sorry no pictures. HIR seemed marginally having more light output but that reality is lost in perception due to whiter light of ZXE's. 2300 Lumens of HIR compared to 1350 Lumens of ZXE of course means a lot more light from HIR's, but like i said perception to a human eye is all what matters. Driving tonight to Evergreen so will be in woods for a while and will have a lot better judgement. At the same time no matter what i find, i have to live with it as there is really no step up from these lights without doing customizations, which i am against.

BTW thanks to JRGoffins pictures. They set my hope pretty high for driving tonight and testing them out.

You can do a Bi-Xenon Retrofit for $200. And they will last years and bulbs are still cheaper than the halogen counter parts.

But those silver stars are an upgrade to oem counterpart, with the phillips being another step up.

FirefighterJose, It is known one can do the Bi-Xeon retrofit. This thread was more for people not wanting to do any retrofits and just fit in Plug&Play type bulbs to get a higher light output. In that scenario the HIR/9011 fits the bill and is the best upgrade possible without doing much customization to the stock wiring, harness and other changes needed.

So I put in the new HIR1/9011 Bulbs. What a difference. It is absolutely the best stock upgrade one can perform. The light is so much more. Amazing difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So has anybody used an LED 9011 bulb in the stock headlights?

Back