trouble code 542 - Fuel pump circuit open; PCM to motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trouble code 542 - Fuel pump circuit open; PCM to motor

shifty1

Reaction score
City, State
orangeville, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hello,

Can someone please help me understand what trouble code 542 - (Fuel Pump circuit open; PCM to Motor) means exactly.

I have posted a previous question regarding problems that I have been having lately. My 94 XLT has been stalling intermittently, whether at a stop sign, or doing 110km/h on the highway. No warning, the engine just dies. Shut it down for a few seconds fires right up, continues to run great.

Is this code telling me that I am having a problem with my PCM, is it gonna be necessary that I'll have to change it?

What are the chances that this is the reason that my truck is dying?

If I must get a replacement PCM, is there any chips (prom etc.) that must be transferred from my computer?

I apologize for all of the questions, just stumped and frustrated.

Any advice, opinions are much appreciated.

My Ford Fuel Injection book lists Code 542 as "Fuel Pump secondary circuit failure".

I think it is least likely that you have a bad PCM, more likely you have a bad fuel pump, a bad fuel pump relay or a wiring problem somewhere between the PCM and the fuel pump. I know that the fuel pump relay has been mentioned on the board a lot for the first gen Explorers.

I found a schematic which shows the circuit Dead Link Removed Check out Fig 29 for a 94 Explorer

Back