briwayjones's Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

briwayjones's Explorer

briwayjones's 2000 Explorer

I recently became elite so I think it's time I register it. As some of you know my name is Brian. I've never driven anything but Explorers as a personal vehicle.

The Explorers I have owned:
'91 XL, OHV, 4 door, 4WD, 5 speed manual
'96 XLT, OHV, 4 door, 4WD, 5 speed manual
'03 Sport XLS, SOHC, 2 door, 4WD, 5 speed manual
'00 XLS, OHV, 4 door, 4WD, 5 speed manual
'03 Sport XLS, SOHC, 2 door, 2WD, 5 speed manual x2 (I recently got another one that is mostly identical to the first one I had)

In addition to that my parents owned a:
'94 XL, OHV, 4 door, 4WD, 5 speed manual

I currently own the 2000 XLS:

It's nothing special, it's not lifted, lowered or doesn't have a killer system or anything:

- Amazon Green Metallic Clearcoat
- 4 door
- 4 wheel drive
- 4.0L OHV engine
- 5 speed manual
- 3.55 rear
- power windows/door locks
- tilt wheel
- cruise control
- A/C
- Ford AM/FM, CD, cassette

Ford Explorer options that did not come on mine but I have installed:

- Overhead console
- 2003 Ford Ranger Fog lights
- Leather steering wheel
- Lighted dual flap sunvisors
- Single disc CD player

Modifications that I have done to my Explorer:

- 2WD Switch "brown wire mod."
- Custom Walnut wood 2nd head unit install. Clarion RMX465D MiniDisc.
- 6x8 Pioneer 220W, 4-ways speakers in the front doors
- 75MM MAF
- BBK 66MM Throttle Body
- American Racing Outlaw II wheels
- RF Keypad

Modifications I would like to do in the future:

- Full length center console.
- Re-upolster the seats with custom made seat fabric.
- Build a custom sub box with a 10" sub and put it in the rear panel pocket.
- New 6x8 speakers with tweeters in the front doors, move the Pioneer's to
the back doors
- Computer Flasher and programs
- Carputer with a touchscreen
- Flowmaster 50 series catback
- Rear sway bar

My X!

2000 Explorer_11-04_ 002small 75per.jpg

2000 Explorer_11-04_ 005small 75per.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's my custom Walnut 2nd Head unit install.

Attachments

• 00 Explorer - Radio_08-5-04_ 005small 75per.jpg
    00 Explorer - Radio_08-5-04_ 005small 75per.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,700
  • 00 Explorer - Radio_08-5-04_ 001 small 75per.jpg
    00 Explorer - Radio_08-5-04_ 001 small 75per.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,698
  • 00 Explorer - Radio_08-5-04_ 002 small75per.jpg
    00 Explorer - Radio_08-5-04_ 002 small75per.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 2,812

My family has always been a Ford family. Here's our Ford's. The blue Explorer has been sold but a red Focus has been added.

Attachments

• Fords Panoramic-tiny.jpg
    Fords Panoramic-tiny.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,633

i like the head unit install. In my 93 i just made it fit in the ashtray, because my tv is in the regular din. Nice -TJ

Real nice lookin' truck, although I love my old 1st generation X.

1994 Limited Edition, 4.0L, automatic {Canadian made} only mod is some rear clearance lights as my UK spec. amber rear turn signals.
(below the tail lights)

how the hell have you found so many 5-speeds? i looked high and low for a 5-speed explorer and couldn't find a single one... i hate you lol

Holy crap Brian how many do you have in the family now? Your turning into the MD version of Crankcase. I know where that red one is :D :D

how the hell have you found so many 5-speeds? i looked high and low for a 5-speed explorer and couldn't find a single one... i hate you lol

Just now noticed people had been posting on my registry.

The '91 we found new at a local dealership. Since it was the first year the manuals were probably more plentiful and easier to find.
The '94 we ordered from the factory that way.
The '96 my Dad saw when walking around the used lot of a local ford dealership. I wish I didn't get rid of this one since it was an XLT with a manual. You can bet if I had found this site before I got rid of it I wouldn't have.
The '03 Sport #1 found at a local dealership new.
The '00 I found used and had to drive about 1h 15m to PA to get.
The '03 Sport #2 I found used and had to go to northern OH to get. There were closer ones but with more miles and not nearly as good of a deal.

Holy crap Brian how many do you have in the family now? Your turning into the MD version of Crankcase. I know where that red one is :D :D

Still have the Ranger, the F-150, the F-800 dump truck, my '00, as I mentioned we have a Focus instead of the blue '93, little red went to you but I have the '03 Sport that replaced it. So, the same number. :D

Nice 4dr 5speed. I have a 96xlt 4dr 5spd 4wd! I am the second owner, all paper work from day 1!!! I Am interested in the Hurst shifter. Is it worth the $220.00? I installed a new head unit,speakers,MTX powered thunderform sub in the Pass rear cubby. Want to do alot more and I've learned so much from this forum and members like you.
Again, nice ride!
Rick

It's a little hard to say if it's worth the full $220. I like it, and definitely like the shorter throw and sport feel. Mine vibrates in certain gears at certain speeds which is annoying although I've mostly gotten used to it. A couple others have complained of the same thing but a of people don't seem to have that problem. The shorter throw also makes the cup holders usable without the shifter getting in the way.

Back