Dual Mode MAF Enhancer Installation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Mode MAF Enhancer Installation

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
To fine tune the function of my HHO generator (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217491&highlight=hho ), I decided to add a dual mode MAP/MAF Enhancer.

What is a MAF Enhancer you ask? Basically, the MAF Enhancer is a simple play with resistors device. MAF Sensor Enhancer simply takes the MAF signal to the PCM and attenuates it. Too much attenuation will kill the engine; it will simply shut off. However, if you control it correctly you can lean down the mixture from the stoichiometric which is factory set at 14.7:1, down to 20:1, possibly 50:1 or 100:1.

Dual mode merely means th4e device has a setting for “city” and “highway ( over 40 MPH )” driving.

I acquired the MAF Enhancer from HHO Development (http://www.hhodevelopment.com/buynow.htm ), a Fort Worth, TX, firm. The cost was $80.00 to my door via USPS. Vern Minton was very helpful and promptly answered all questions and shipped very fast.

The installation was undemanding. The device is a well constructed box that measures 3 1/2 inches wide, 2 inches tall and 1 1/2 inches deep. It comes with a harness quick connector and three wire leads ( black, red and brown ).

The first thing I did was make a custom harness of black, red and yellow ( I didn’t have any brown wire in my shop ) 16 gauge wire from the area of the MAF wire harness and run it to the inside of the cabin in the area of the center console.

The three wires were attached to the leads from the MAF Enhancer. The connection was with the pre attached butt connectors and covered with heat shrink tubing.

I have not decided on a “permanent” mount for the MAF Enhancer so I have it sitting in the console ( with extra wire ) for the time being. Its physical size will make a double side tape attachment simple.

The signal wire from the MAF to the PCM was cut and the cut wire from the MAF was connected to the red wire. Be careful to get the correct wire; in my case the MAF has 6 wires. The other end of the cut MAF wire was connected to the brown wire. And finally, the black wire was attached to ground. The connections were soldered and sealed in heat shrink tubing.

The wire harness was secured with tie wraps.

All wiring was checked and double-checked and the truck was started with the MAF Enhancer in the Factory position. All was well.

The next step in the install was to tune the device.

Tuning the MAF Enhancer ( from the manufacturer ):

Turn the knob all the way to “rich” (The Dial should point to “0”). Make sure your HHO Generator is operational. Warm up the engine and drive a while before experimenting with the knob. For speeds above 40 mph, adjust the “Highway” dial.
1. DO THE NEXT STEP WITH CARE – ON A SIDE ROAD - JUST IN CASE YOUR ENGINE STOPS UNEXPECTEDLY.
2. Now, start turning the knob clockwise; the mixture will turn leaner and leaner until the car stalls or bucks as you drive. Back the knob off slightly after the bucking and chugging.
3. Keep the danger of overheating in mind. If your HHO Generator is non-operational, temporarily set the enhancer at or near original factory setting (rich).
4. Set points can change from one gas station fuel to another, weather conditions, cold engine, etc. The differences are not large, but if you're on the edge, then the car will buck or vibrate, and you'll need to change the set point a bit. Remember that this is a simple device.
5. NOTE: When this device turns on, it will set a CEL. This can be turned off with an OBD II scanner.
After tuning, the dial on the MAF Enhancer was in the 10 position for “city” and in the 20 position for “highway”. It took several trys to set the dials “right”. I never set a CEL.
Engine coolant temperature was vigilantly monitored ( with my OBD II scanner - http://www.autoxray.com/ ) during the tuning process. It never got out of hand.
The MAF Enhancer installation took about 45 minutes ( including making the harness ) at a relaxed pace; whereas, the tuning required less than 10 minutes.

A brief road test including driving in the “city” as well as the “highway” position showed all was well. A prolonged road trial on I75 will be performed in the next few days; data will be reported after the conclusion of the trial.

The next phase in the fine tuning of the HHO generator process will be the addition of Oxygen Sensor extenders and the addition of a pulse width modulator (PWM) to control the power.

And now onward to the joy of enhanced gas mileage ….

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 4,752
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 4,400

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First day driving observations ....

All I did was in town driving at speeds less than 40 MPH, there forte I had the switch set to city.

I keep tweaking the setting attempting to optimize the functionality.

I got the dial set to where all was well, at least appeared well. After driving about 1/2 hour, at a stop light, the truck simply stooped running. It did re crank on the first turn of the key.

I backed off the setting a bit. This performances totally unacceptable to me.

Also, if I switch back to the factory setting while driving in the city mode, it feels like I have a 20 HP boost.

Too soon to have any mileage data.

so why the use of the maf enhancer over trying to tune it with your software?

isnt that redundant? why the need for both instead of 1 or the other?

or trying them out seperately?

Power source

Hi all,
I've done a ton of research, read many forums. I've built a couple of electrolyzers and have installed two in my 02 XLT. Normally I avg 19 mpg. I drove then powered the Brown's gas and went to 25 mpg. This is the typical driving I do. I also made and plan on installing a MAF/MAP adjuster. Where I am currently perplexed is exactly where to tap into the wiring to power my electrolyzer. I have been attaching it directly to the battery but this practice is not very practical. All my wires are neatly tucked into the plastic conduit and my Haynes book isn't helping. I need a easily accessible wire that is only hot in run/acc. Any help or direction or pointing me to the right website would be greatly appreciated.

MAF Wire

Aldive,
Which one to you tap into when tapping into the MAF sensor with the AF Enhancer. The wire labeled MAF or the one labeled MAF RTN. Which one of these two go from the sensor to the computer? I promise I 'll take a picture of my setup. So far I have gotten a 6 MPG increase, 32% increase from 19. Thanks
Bill

isnt that redundant? why the need for both instead of 1 or the other?

or trying them out seperately?

You're correct; the very same thing can be modified in the tune. However; not everyone has the ability to change the tune, so if Aldive can get the right settings and pass them to you guys, then he's doing it for you.

Also, it will be easy to take the final adjustment made with this device and use the results as a base tune. Easier and faster than changing a tune.....download to the SCT device.....upload to the truck.....Test....Repeat...repeat...repeat...repeat...

With this device, Aldive can adjust on the fly, get the proper settings, and then write a tune.

On the other hand, I have to be real honest here. I would NOT use a device to manipulate the output voltage of the MAF signal, nor would I adjust the tune for this manipulation. I believe this is messing with the wrong thing.

I WOULD mess with the base fuel table to get the same results.

Once a person understands how to change the MAF transfer function, or has ever tuned in the MAF transfer function table, I believe they would agree with me here.

Once a person understands how to change the MAF transfer function, or has ever tuned in the MAF transfer function table, I believe they would agree with me here.

I do agree that you should modify the tune at the source... the fuel... and not by the sensors... by doing it at the sensors its more of a bandaid to just get it to work... but does make sense to test all the ways out and let everyone know what works best or not...

keep up the good work aldive...

Al which wire on your MAF sensor did you cut? what color or position. Do you have a wiring diagram of the 6 pin connector?

--Joe

Al which wire on your MAF sensor did you cut? what color or position. Do you have a wiring diagram of the 6 pin connector?

--Joe

Colors were not distinguishable, sorry.

I cut the wire called MAF in the picture below.

Attachments

• 83221590.gif
    83221590.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 9,823

Thanks Al!

--Joe

Al when you install the MAF enhancer, it is basically a resistor that attenuates the signal from the MAF sensor. When the signal is attenuated does that result in reduced counts for a particular air volume?.

I am looking at the MAF transfer function in the pro racer software. If I wanted to emulate the MAF enhancer, would I adjust the tune to reduce the number of counts per # of air or would I increase the counts

--Joe

Bump..

Any reply Al?

--Joe

PS: Congrats on the in town MPG gain

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey aldive, on the maf connector, which bank did you tie into (they are labeled 1-6). thanks

You use the wire for the MAF signal. I have no isea what you mean by "bankk"????????

Measure the voltage to be sure.

It is detailed in previous posts.

Back