Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
:thumbsup: PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB is the latest PCM upgrade for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

It supersedes all previous ones, including B2A. It solves a bunch of issues, one of which is idle and surge when no MIL or codes are present

I have my upgrade done on 11-12-2008 and am very happy with it. The truck running very nicely and has lost its shaky ways at park and idling or stopped and in drive.

SETHMORGAN also upgraded to this version with the following results.
I just had it done and I can say ditto everything you just wrote. This is after driving it the 1 mile back from the dealership. I recommend anyone having the rough idle issue get this upgrade. Thanks for giving me the idea. Finally something I tried actually made a difference. I felt like I was tossing a $100 bill out the window every time I attempted another shot at fixing this.

Original Thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how can we get this ? can you just show up and the dealer will upgrade your ECU program ?

how can we get this ? can you just show up and the dealer will upgrade your ECU program ?

You might want to call them first and give a heads up and so you know how much they will charge you. Just mention the revision code, or tell them you want the latest PCM software. Make sure you don't already have it though.

Self flash?

is their any way i can flash it myself?

I'm not sure whether i really want too, it runs pretty rough (especially when its cold), but if i keep my foot out of it, i can get 22 mpg out of it.... (02 explorer sport)

I don't know what version i have... i would have to go look, and it really cold out right now, where are you guys seeing the version number?

Charlie

is their any way i can flash it myself?

I'm not sure whether i really want too, it runs pretty rough (especially when its cold), but if i keep my foot out of it, i can get 22 mpg out of it.... (02 explorer sport)

I don't know what version i have... i would have to go look, and it really cold out right now, where are you guys seeing the version number?

Charlie

No, unless you have the equipment AND the flash upgrade.

If it's been flashed with a flash version after it left the factory, there should be a sticker under the hood somewhere showing the date and version. However, the dealer failed to record my latest upgrade in this way. I'll probably just make up my own label.

I could borrow an obdII reader from the school i am going to (autotap). i would just need the flash, if i could find it.

Charlie

I am only aware that it can be flashed by Ford. When the tech was scanning my computer it notified him that an upgrade was available for my older version. It took 10 minutes. If you have the latest version it will not ask for a update as far as I know.
Once flashed you cannot got back to old version (fyi if it makes your truck run worse for some reason).

Please read the links I posted so we don't repeat the same questions and answers.

Not necessarily true...

You need a few things:

First, a special tool (NOT) a scantool. It's called like a J2534 passthru device. Prepare to drop coin in the grand+ range....

Second, a motorcraft account. You (as in regular, non Ford, non Fleet) can buy a limited time download deal, I checked last about 6 months ago for about ten bucks.

You buy the flash, and the flasher and the flash software, stir gently, and hope you don't lobotomize you car or your laptop!

Seriously though, I would be willing to consider a group buy for one of the brainier people around knoxville to keep one of these things and we all meet up and flash every so often....

-Shawn

Please help

Sorry for being a newb, but can you explain what a pcm upgrade is and what it does, why i need it, etc. etc. as if you were explaining it to someone who had never heard of it (me) also, my 02 sport has a rough idle in park, will this help? How much is it?

Thanks a million.

watching (1st post) :)

Well......

In the olden dayys, engine and transmission management were controlled by mechanical things, or not at all.

Now, you have the Powertrain Control Module (also might be called an ECM, ECU, or that @#$% 400 dollar part).

*EVERYTHING* about your vehicle is controlled by an electronic device. In the 05 explorer, there is a network *exactly* like the LAN at your work. The PCM, ABS, uh, there are some other modules, but they do everything from tell you your MPG, to telling the trans when/how to shift, lean out the engine, or even shut it down if it thinks you are about to get your ass over your head (RSC/advancetrac).

The PCM is a teeny computer. All computers need a program. In the case of the PCM, there is a semipermanent program that maps all this stuff out. We call it a flash.

When your vehicle rolls out of the factory, it is flashed to what the propellerheads think is best for it. But, after the truck wears in, and time goes along, they find things they need to tweak.

Hence, an upgraded flash.

There is a lot more to it than this, but this is the 20,000 foot view. Will you die if your flash isn't up to the second? no Is it good to get updated maybe once a yearish, or when a major revision comes up? Yup. It ain't cheap, though. Expect around 100-150 bucks.

There are several threads on here on how to find out what flash you have, so I won't re-hash it here.

hope that helps,

-Shawn

So I just bought a 04 X Limited and love it. I'm not a car guy, I'm a computer guy, and the thought of flashing my car's firmware made me want to run right down to get it done.

But before I do that - is upgrading the firmware to the latest version worth while - or should you only upgrade if you are experiencing some specific problem?

Are there any inherent downsides to using the factory default firmware? Will I get better mileage? Will it prevent my X from developing any specific problems it might not yet have?

-Reason

Does this new software do anything about the ridiculous amounts of downshifting the transmission goes through? I feel like I'm blowing $3 out the tailpipe everytime I move my foot the smallest bit.

Got the update about a week ago - works wonderfully. No more senseless downshifting, no more shifting hesitation when switching to reverse. Transmission seems to run/shift much smoother now.

is there a list of everything this upgrade actually addresses? im trying to convince my dealer to do it under warranty and i need info on it.

Is this only for the 4.0? Is there an upgrade for the 4.6? I'm starting to get hesitant shifting into reverse and am looking for answers on how to fix that.

is there a list of everything this upgrade actually addresses? im trying to convince my dealer to do it under warranty and i need info on it.

no one? sounds like an important update and its not being discussed more??

Is this only for the 4.0? Is there an upgrade for the 4.6? I'm starting to get hesitant shifting into reverse and am looking for answers on how to fix that.

I'm interested too. Is there a PCM upgrade that will help with the transmission issues on a 4.6L?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back