Adding springs to factory leafpacks from another set of original leafpacks... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding springs to factory leafpacks from another set of original leafpacks...

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
I'm looking to remove my Warrior Products lift shackles and add some of the leafsprings from my original leafpacks to my newer set. Has anyone else done this before?

I know alot of you have done Ad a leaf but I have a pair of original leaf packs and could use the extra load capacity and lift.

I have a couple questions about which leafs I should use and where to place them in the leaf pack? Also, What's the best way to remove and rreinstall the retainer clips for the springs?

Thanks to NCRanchero (Steve) for finding me a set of leafsprings after I got rearended last spring. Since I have an extra set I'd like to remove the lift shackles so the new set doesn't flatten out.

Here's a couple pictures of both sets together.

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone ever build up their leafsprings up this way before?

Ive built our set from parts from stock explorer, Ome-36 and f-150 leaves. In my case none of the leaves were the same length so I just stacked them according to length.

As for the clamps, I dont run the stock ones as they limit suspension droop.

~Mark

I was just asking that very same question. Does it matter if one leaf on top of another are the same length.
If not, is it okay to cut one down?

I should be getting a new/old/not broken set of factory leaf springs in a day or two. I want to add a little height and get rid of the overload springs all together. I am planning of cutting down the main leaf, and the second leaf spring of the old and worn out springs with a cut-off wheel, and then drilling new holes for the teflon pads. Then placing the now cut down springs, one between the main leaf and the second leaf, and the other between the second and third leafs, for a total of five leaf springs per side. If I cut them off so they rest evenly between the original leaf springs, I think it should work. Should have it all finished and tested this weekend, in time for the real test at Truckhaven next weekend.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375312

Please post pictures when you do the comversion, I am thinking about doing this come sprintime. Thanks

Today I did not get very far. I measured out where to cut the leafs with my chop saw. I am going to cut the leafs mid point so they will all be equal lengths apart when finished. Also measured the thickness of leafs and five leaf springs is only slightly thicker than stock with the overload leaf. Should be able to use existing center bolt, but not the U-bolts. A custom set of U-bolts cost me more than the used leaf spring pack.
See how far I get tomorrow.

I got them all together today, but not installed. Will post a picture after they are painted up and pretty.

Good to hear, can't wait to see pictures of these. How much lift did you get and could you post which leafs were cut and where they were placed in the packs. Thanks man.

The amount of lift I get will be different than yours. I have a lot of weight on the back of my Explorer. I will estimate the height difference.
I cut the main leaf off 1.5 inches from the ends where it starts to curve into the mounting holes.
I cut the second leaf off mid point between the end of the second leaf and the end of the third leaf. It was different lengths on both ends but I wanted to get it centered between the new leafs.
I did not have the third leaf on one since it was broken, or I might have cut that one too, approximately three inches off each end and put it on the bottom. I know where I can get them, so if the rear of my Explorer is still sagging, I will add them.
I used the old alignment bolt, but it was a little short. Once its mounted, it has little pull on it so it should be fine with some lock-tite.
Instead of using a wrap to keep the springs aligned, I fabricated new, open top with a limiter bolt, type guides out of 1.25x1/8" flat bar (its what I had lying around, nearly any width will do). 2.5" base with 3.5" sides with a bolt across the top to keep it straight, and keep the springs from opening up too far. Its mounted with a .25" carraige bolt which goes through the teflon pad on the bottom leaf at the rear (stock is in the front, which will hit the frame during up travel).
I did not drill out new holes for the teflon pads on the cut-down springs. I was pressed for time, and I have not seen them on any custom leaf spring packs.
Hopefully I will get it all in tomorrow, test it out and post a few pics.

Got them installed without too much trouble. Ride height is a little high in the back, but its only an inch difference. Raised the back by at least three inches.
Rides is very smooth and firm, and it flexes pretty good (found a big rock by the lake to drive up onto). I was thinking about taking the second leaf (the cut-down main leaf) out, but am just going to leave it for this weekend's festivities. Maybe it will settle. Posting pics later.

Cool cant wait to see pics.

Pics
It might be riding smoother because of these;
2013-01-08_16-07-57_369_Medium_.jpg

Side view;
2013-01-13_08-58-18_789_Medium_.jpg

2013-01-13_08-58-06_587_Medium_.jpg

Mounted;
2013-01-13_10-27-15_644_Medium_.jpg

Flex (not as much as it could because I had the front sway bars and limit straps on it for towing);
2013-01-13_11-49-35_482_Medium_.jpg

2013-01-13_11-49-57_703.jpg

2013-01-13_11-49-44_287_Medium_.jpg

2013-01-13_11-50-16_395_Medium_.jpg

Ride height;
2013-01-13_11-59-33_674_Medium_.jpg

2013-01-13_11-58-21_525_Medium_.jpg

looks great. I see way too much stuff in all these threads of stuff i need to get going on.

Thanks.
Either I am getting better at this kind of stuff, or it suddenly got easier than I remember because it went very smooth.
The three inches of added ride height is due to the arch of the springs, not the spring over configuration. My old leaf springs were worn out and flat.
You should do a test, first measure the ride height with your current leaf springs, then the new stock configuration, then the modified springs to see what we are really getting out of this. I was going to do that, but got lazy and just went for it.

I also noticed the Superlift spring over conversion was not welded to the top of the axle tubes, just held in place with tabs that tuck into the old spring perches and the U-bolts. Could see where the right side was rubbing slightly on the axle tube, so I welded them on.
If you haven't taken a leaf pack apart before, make sure and use a clamp before removing the centering bolt. They are under quite a bit of pressure.
And when tightning new U-bolts, make sure they are under even pressure like tightning tire/wheel lug nuts. I measured the length of the U-bolts above the plate to make sure they were all evenly tightned.

Thanks for doing this before I got the chance to, helps out alot to see something done before hand. Just curious if you planned on doing this already or liked my idea? I've never seen this done before so I was curious if it could even be done. Now I know where to cut, etc... this spring.

well i guess i need to find myself another leaf pack.

I was thinking about modifying the stock leaf packs and did a search. Came up with your thread and got the idea to cut them down after bouncing it off DB1 who has cut down springs before.

Oh, ok. How many leafs did you have to start with? I'm thinking of just adding two more from the original pack, main cut down and second cut down. What do you think I should do about my overload spring? Take it off and add the third leaf in the pack or leave it with the two extras and the overload? I plan on doing a SAS, SOA if that will make a difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the leaf pack ever settle or did it stay as high as when you installed them?

Back