Patty has passed on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Patty has passed on.

My Explorer gave her life for me on 11/1/13.
I was traveling 60 mph on Brownfield Hwy in Lubbock, TX when a Buick Verano failed to yield to oncoming traffic and pulled in front of me. I didn't have time to react or even tense up before broadsiding the Buick on its passenger side. The lady who was driving was of advanced age and had no idea what had happened, but otherwise uninjured. Her passenger (the driver's daughter) went to the hospital with life threatening injuries. I was uninjured and surprisingly the 3rd gen steering wheel air bag went off. Neither car survived the accident. The 5.0 even broke a motor mount.

I have to say hese vehicles were definitely built with safety in mind. The passenger compartment held up so well that I bought another Explorer, though this one will be a full restoration.

Here's the carnage:
IMG_00000116.jpg
IMG_00000117.jpg
IMG_00000120.jpg

w8TvpIenww6F8b_4KUrX59DkhxPqjQSyqmh8I=w908-h681-no.jpg

the Buick:

uFqYnHuE1768QTDfSrrqEfQd5D85dv0r2wrW4=w908-h681-no.jpg
mQCu6zqoaHB_psUeCXVZVPJ_F32bzbPP-w5DY=w908-h681-no.jpg

:salute:Thanks Patty for all the good times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow. Sorry to read that but it a good testimony to the solid build in these trucks.

Glad you came through this. I hope the daughter recovers.

man i feel like a vulture here so i guess i should start off by saying the 'glad to hear you are ok' thing

i was thinking that maybe some small part of her could live on by selling me her running boards...

i guess that hunk of iron up front worked as well as any aluminum 'crumple zone'

I enjoy how there's a new Explorer in the background of the first picture.

Of course, thankfully you're ok. I just read your registry, and found it quite sad to see the Ex in it's current state.

What do you mean by full restoration? You plan to fix the one after the crash..? Isn't it a write off?

Man that sucks, hope you can at least save some of the parts for the one your gonna restore

sorry to hear, glad you're ok.. .I'd buy that back and do something cool with it.. if I lived closer I'd buy it :D

Si

Thanks guys.

I managed to save a few parts and accessories from Patty and most of them will find their way onto my new 97 X.
The 97 is going to be taken just about completely apart, cleaned, refurbished, modernized, and cleaned again. I'll make a registry for it when I get home from the holidays.

I'm sorry for your loss. Thankfully nobody was killed.

I was involved in a head on wreck in 2005 where my 95 F-150 met a 90s model Lexus SUV. Neither driver was hurt. In that case and in many I've seen since then, it is apparent to me that a pre-1997 [design] Ford truck or SUV is a safe place to be in a wreck.

sorry for your loss

Bummer about your ride, glad you're ok. Never seen a rear bumper with taillights
like yours before. Aftermarket or factory?

Bummer about your ride, glad you're ok. Never seen a rear bumper with taillights
like yours before. Aftermarket or factory?

That's for the rear fog light for the Canadian spec Explorers. Some US Explorers have the same bumper (with the cutouts) with plain reflectors installed rather than the red rear fog lights.

Fell asleep on this post. That bumper would be killer with the right reverse lights
where the red lenses are. I'm going E-Bay'in.

Sorry, I just saw the last three posts. The lights are actually rear fog lamps from 98-01 European-spec Explorers. Mine came from the UK.

Back