First Water, Then Fire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Water, Then Fire

Ahh.. the joys of homeownership..

I wake up Tuesday morning to find a small lake in the backyard... Turns out the Water Heater tank decided to split at the top... Water everywhre.. and of course, there is no shut-off valve on/near the tank.. I have to shut off the water to the house..

Soo.. We go out and buy a new water heater, some tubing/pipe and a shut-off valve... Takes 2 of us to get the thing into the enclosure.. Hook up all the lines (2 water, 1 gas), check for any gas leaks (use windex for that) and try to light it.. No go.. After talking to tech support, turns out that the thermocoupler is "weak". I take the one off the old water heater and voila... it lights.

Now that it seems to be working, I call it a day (at least for now) and plan to come out a little later to pick up the tools...

1 hour passes.. I check the hot water (just to see if it is hot enough)... and find no hot water...

I head outside.. and look what I find...

water-heater.jpg

Turns out, a factory fitting (gas line) wasn't tight.. actually, 2 lines were not tight (not even finger tight).. Looks like once the burner actually lit, the line started to leak, then caught fire and burned the gas control valve and the drain valve on the tank..

I replace the gas valve and the drain vavle (free parts).. Checked all the gas lines (not just the one I hooked up, but all of them).. Got it lit.. and then checked all the gas lines again.. Turns out I didn't see/hear/smell the first leak since there is no gas in the big line until it turns on the burner and that won't turn on until after the thermocoupler is working..

Soo.. lesson learned.. When dealing with Gas appliances, don't just check the lines you have to install.. check all of them you can get too.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh man... luckily nothing major happened... glad you didnt blow up!

not to steal your thread but i got a good water heater story.
but when i put are elec. hot water heater i figuered out that we have i fuse for the garage and one for the heater :rolleyes:
ZAP, what the h@ll, ummmmmm? grabed it again ZAP :fire: WTF?!?!?!! oh two fuses:banghead:

Lucky nothing major happened. I buy a home waranty for $456 a year that covers all that stuff. If the tank goes out I pay $35 and it gets replaced by a pro and any damage caused by the leak get repaired. Glad to hear it did not burn more.

wow.. glad it didn't cause more damage. that's scary.

funny you mention the shut off valve thing. ours died last year and i went to replace it and noticed that too!! why didn't they put a simple valve there! oh well, i put one in too.

wa4kc... read the fine print on the warranty. many home warranties require you do perform the recommended maintenance on the stuff exactly if you want it to be replaced. if not, they won't replace it and will say it wasn't maintained. we had the warranty for the first year we bought our house. the owners hadn't done 1 minute of upkeep on any of the appliances and one of the furnaces died. the guys came out and said they wouldn't cover it since it wasn't kept up well. great!! thanks previous owners.

Your very lucky.. I've had to replace flexible gas lines all the time on gas ranges.. Nothing like the customer smelling gas an hour or more after we leave. Since then, the company I used to work for no longer will disconnects flexible gas lines due to the liability issue.

Blee,
The interesting thing was that it wasn't the flex line that leaked. It was the hard lines from the Gas control valve to the burner/pilot. I never even thought to check theirs after the burners were lit. I checked the fittings once I turned the gas on.. I didn't know those other lines weren't pressurized until the burners lit. Now I know, and I check them again after/while the burner is on.

~Mark

Lucky yours were located outside. Mine sits in the basement. I don't even wanna think what would've happened then.

Thats actually sort of outside...

Its outside becuase its gas, but it is actually an outside closet 10 ft high. You get to it by going outside there there are walls and a cieling. I'm just glad that the "closet" was somewhat water proof (e.g. no water got in the house, it all went outside instead of under the walls). The walls are Drywall (the firewall kind).

What saved us was the Over Temperature sensors in the Gas Control valve. If it gets too hot it shuts off all gas, which in turn shut off the gas at the leak which put out the fire.

~Mark

Boom!

Back