• Register Today It's free!

Newer Ranger 4x4?

93Expo4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
Hey guys been thinking about upgrading lately. Really liking the 2005-07 rangers just curious as to how reliable the 4.0 sohc is? Never messed with this motor before as I have the 4.0 ohv in my explorer and my trans just started acting up. Any input would be great. Looking at used trucks with 100-120k on them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Junk, not a matter of if, but when the plastic timing chain guide will go causing the engine to detonate, with repairs being more than the entire truck is worth. quote just to pull the engine on a 4x4 is $3000 being a 12 hour book time job. Average mileage is close to 200000 miles, I managed to have mine go in 110000.

My 04 Level II Ranger has about 160,000 miles on the clock. I have not had any engine problems.

The 4.0 SOHV engine is the same as used in most of the Gen II, III and IV Explorers. I have not heard many problems with the engine on this site.

4.0 SOHV is a better motor than the 4.0 OHV IMO. I have both (1 OHV, 3 SOHV).

I can get an engine replaced (labor) for something around $600 to $1000. I can get a used motor for something around $400 to $800. You can spend a lot more money than this if you use a dealership or something like a Jasper remanufactured block.

my 08 Sport 4x4 has about 130,000 miles on it ,and so far it's good,, change the oil like you're supposed to, and it should be ok,,,

Cam timing issues with the 4.0 OHC are well known, but I believe the later production ones benefit from improvements in the tensioners and chain guides.

Beyond that, they've got a fair amount of HP and torque the 4.0 OHV lack and make for a pretty darn good package for the Ranger.

Personally, I still think the 302 is an engine Ford should have had available for the Ranger but the 4.0 OHC offers similar power in a more compact package.

The timing chain issues were pretty much resolved by 05. The worst ones were in 01 and improved for 02 but some still had problems. I have 190K miles on my 02 Ranger 4.0 SOHC and so far no timing chain guide problems. The only thing other than normal maintenance items that I had to do to it was replace a valve cover gasket. That doesn't mean it won't fail tomorrow but I have heard of several at around 300K miles with no problems. I plan to keep mine to at least 300K and hope I don't have to deal with the timing chain guides.

Back