5th Generation Ecoboost Real World #s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5th Generation Ecoboost Real World #s

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some real world towing experience with a 5th generation Explorer Sport (3.5l Ecobost AWD). Short of it, for a few years I had a 2008 Explorer Limited with the V8 in it towing a v-nose 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer - loaded weight 2200lbs. The specs on the truck were 292HP @ 5750 & 300lb/ft @ 3950. It would pull it ok at highway speeds (IE 60-65mph) but the occasional hill would cause it to either shift down pulling the rpm well over 2k or a significant lose of mph. So I "upgraded" to a 2011 Dodge Durango with the 5.7l Hemi a few years back - 360 hp @ 5150 rpm & 390 lb-ft @ 4250 rpm. Quite a bit quicker when not towing to get up to highway speeds or passing...noticeably but not astonishingly better for towing. And to this point, I have since upsized the trailer to a v-nose 6x10 loaded weight around 2500lbs and obviously a big surface area for wind resistance. Now with the Dodge Durango I am experiencing a similar issue as I had with the Explorer tied to the 5x8 trailer of it not being able to maintain mph/rpm during moderate inclines. Question for those with some real world experience…the 2016 Explorer Sport specs as advertised are 365 hp @ 5500 rpm & 350 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm. I have read online that the Ecoboost 3.5l in the Explorer is actually 350 lb-ft @ 1500-3500 rpm. Is this a realistic number for this powertrain to get 350 lb/ft @ 1500rpm???

Any real world experience / stories would be greatly appreciated.

Also rough mpg would be great. I'm averaging 12.5 mpg in the Durango 5.7l with the 2500lbs 6x10 60-65mph.

Thanks, Rob

First, the Explorer Sport is tuned for non-towing performance, not towing.

Second, it sounds like you equate good towing to the age old phrase "I can't even tell it's back there". If that's what you want, you need a larger vehicle. Your '08 had over 7000 lbs tow capacity, but you don't like the performance with only 2200 lbs.

I've been towing over 5000 lbs with a 2006 Mounty V8 (same as your '08 Explorer). A lot more than your 2200 lbs. I feel like it's a great package. But then, I don't expect it to stay in 6th gear when I go uphill.

I think you need to be a bit more realistic in your expectations, or step up to an Expedition/Pickup.

You want your trans to downshift so you get better torque from the higher rpm's going up clines. You do. Want it to maintain speed going up a hill, rather let it slow down and so you don't blow your motor or trans.

There is a running joke on the interwebs about towing capability that says you need a full ton dually to tow anything. In your case, it sounds like even that might not make you happy.

My suggestion is save your money and pass on the Sport. That 5.7L hemi will serve you way better if you ever decide to upgrade your trailer to something bigger again.

Back